supertruper1988

Train Wheel Size Naming

Whoops, I didn't mean to spark controversy. Adding the minimum spacing to the chart with a clarification that some wheels of the given size might need greater spacing would be good.

I think the number system is great, and I think it should be based on plates. While rounding up would make more sense to me, I don't think it will be much of an issue since it will probably only impact #10 and that will likely always be a specialty size. Furthermore, if you add the minimum spacing to the table there is less need for a user to learn the meaning, the numbers will simply be a name that clearly conveys #7 is larger than #5. Only the power users will think in terms of plates because that information is almost redundant now (and that is a good thing).

16 hours ago, coaster said:

The BBB wheels do not allow for this though, so you would have a greater minimum spacing requirement. 

I'm pretty sure the BBB L wheels nest with F-B only needing 4 studs center to center. That was one of the key features to allow x-6-x and x-8-x locos to handle R40 track.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:26 AM, zephyr1934 said:

I'm pretty sure the BBB L wheels nest with F-B only needing 4 studs center to center. That was one of the key features to allow x-6-x and x-8-x locos to handle R40 track.

You may be right.  I only have Ben's XL wheels, and they do not, so I guess I figured the others were that way as well.

5 minutes ago, coaster said:

You may be right.  I only have Ben's XL wheels, and they do not, so I guess I figured the others were that way as well.

Yes, the BBB XL do not nest, presumably because at integer stud spacing they do not need to. You cannot have 4 studs center to center for B-F XL, and at 5 studs there is room to fit the flange next to the blind rather than behind. So while 4.5 stud spacing would work in theory, BBB XL do not allow for it.

On 1/12/2021 at 8:51 AM, supertruper1988 said:

Wheel%20Sizes%20Final%20with%20Scales.pn

@supertruper1988

One question for the fellow "rest of the world" who uses the metric system - would it be possible to add the scaled diameters (1:38 and 1:48) in metric dimensions as well? Would make the chart a lot mor useful in my opinion! :wink:

13 hours ago, ScotNick said:

@supertruper1988

One question for the fellow "rest of the world" who uses the metric system - would it be possible to add the scaled diameters (1:38 and 1:48) in metric dimensions as well? Would make the chart a lot mor useful in my opinion! :wink:

what scale? the two listed are common in the US because they are based on US train dimensions. 

Doesn't change the fact that converting is tedious if you are used to one system. Having all necessary info in one picture would help a lot.

3 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

what scale? the two listed are common in the US because they are based on US train dimensions. 

I don't think there's a common scale like 1:48 or 1:38 here in Europe. Most people do stick to either 7 wide or 8 wide, but as there are different lauding gauges thoughout Europe I think this is a bit difficult!

However I'm sure most folks build inbetween 1:38 and 1:48, so just adding the metric dimensions to what the drivers relate to in those scales would help a lot as it already gives a rough idea for which driver to choose.

I for example build roughly in 1:42 scale, and right now the chart wouldn't help out a lot. But if the metric dimensions for 1:38 and 1:48 would be added as well I could easily approximate what size the driver would relate to. Does this point make sense?

22 hours ago, ScotNick said:

I think ScotNick is just asking to add the metric equivalent, so the bottom row would read something like:

64.8" (1.65 m) |   60" (1.52 m) |   ...

Are European drivers typically measured in m or mm?

Also, a few of the cells in the bottom row are missing the double quotes denoting inches (#13, #11, #6)

Apologies for boosting an old thread.

I notice that the table shows the tread diameter in both mm and plates. How much extra should I allow for the wheel flanges to permit clearance against bodywork, etc? Is it 1 plate on each side (2 plates in total) or does the flange depth vary? 

Also, on a not unrelated note, is anyone out there working on .dat files for the various sizes to permit them to be imported into your digital building software of choice? I know that some wheels are already available to download (e.g. BBB) but I would be interested in other sizes also.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

Apologies for boosting an old thread.

I notice that the table shows the tread diameter in both mm and plates. How much extra should I allow for the wheel flanges to permit clearance against bodywork, etc? Is it 1 plate on each side (2 plates in total) or does the flange depth vary? 

Also, on a not unrelated note, is anyone out there working on .dat files for the various sizes to permit them to be imported into your digital building software of choice? I know that some wheels are already available to download (e.g. BBB) but I would be interested in other sizes also.

Thanks.

The wheel flanges are 1 plate tall, so you are correct, add 2 plates/6.4mm in diameter.  @supertruper1988 is working on the .dat files, but there are lot of them, so it's just taking a bit to get it all together.  Plus, he's in the middle of moving across the country.

I would help with it, but I'm dumb and don't know how to properly build the .dat file.  My method is to export the CAD model into Part Designer and then export to Stud.io, but the file sizes are comparatively massive.

@ScotNick @coaster

Thank you gentlemen for your swift and informative replies.

The L-Gauge website page isn't fully up to date with regard to the offerings currently on the market, nor does it reflect the information contained within this thread, and doesn't actually mention the size I'm particularly interested in. However, it is a very good resource. As for the .dat files, I am content to wait and see what @supertruper1988 comes up with when he gets the time to complete the project. Hopefully he is going to include sizes smaller than #5, but clearly he has much more pressing priorities to attend to first, and it's right that what is a hobby activity needs to wait.

Thanks again. 

Appreciate everyone's input on naming convention and sizes. 

#4 wheel going to production today.  Two styles, one with a solid face and another with a spoked face, first run will be red and black.  Expect to have them available in about six weeks.    

Ben

Big Ben Bricks LLC

On 11/29/2021 at 1:56 PM, benfleskes said:

Appreciate everyone's input on naming convention and sizes. 

#4 wheel going to production today.  Two styles, one with a solid face and another with a spoked face, first run will be red and black.  Expect to have them available in about six weeks.    

Ben

Big Ben Bricks LLC

That's great to hear! I am looking forward to purchasing some of them!

On 1/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, zephyr1934 said:

I think ScotNick is just asking to add the metric equivalent, so the bottom row would read something like:

64.8" (1.65 m) |   60" (1.52 m) |   ...

Are European drivers typically measured in m or mm?

Also, a few of the cells in the bottom row are missing the double quotes denoting inches (#13, #11, #6)

Hi all,

As far as I can see on technical drawings from locomotives and coaches, all dimensions are given in mm (Europe).

Examples:

• typical wheel diameter for a passenger coach and some cargo cars are 920 mm (EAOS,FAS).
  • The wheel diameter for the TRAXX (and Vectron?) locomotive is 1250mm

Ludo

17 hours ago, Ludo said:

Hi all,

As far as I can see on technical drawings from locomotives and coaches, all dimensions are given in mm (Europe).

Examples:

• typical wheel diameter for a passenger coach and some cargo cars are 920 mm (EAOS,FAS).
  • The wheel diameter for the TRAXX (and Vectron?) locomotive is 1250mm

Ludo

This is good info. I have also seen a few folks in europe modeling in 1:45 (1 stud = 360mm) which I can add to the chart and list all the real dimensions in mm as some kind of starting point.

Sorry for the slight bump, but Big Ben Bricks has made not one, but TWO new wheels in size 4, XS, which you can see by scrolling to the bottom of his product page or currently featured first on the home page.

One has spokes and needs five long axles to work, while the other is a "solid" variant that works with either five or six long axles.

Anybody use these yet? They've been available for sale since March 5th of this year...

2 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Sorry for the slight bump, but Big Ben Bricks has made not one, but TWO new wheels in size 4, XS, which you can see by scrolling to the bottom of his product page or currently featured first on the home page.

One has spokes and needs five long axles to work, while the other is a "solid" variant that works with either five or six long axles.

Anybody use these yet? They've been available for sale since March 5th of this year...

I havent used them yet but I might need to for some planned autoracks :thumbup:

Those smaller XS wheels would go well under my autoracks too. That has always been an issue with trying to make autoracks and some intermodal well cars look good is the wheel height.

Well, I just ordered four of the non-spoked variety in black for use with an 1930's inspection car made from the instructions of set number 40532. (Vintage Taxi) 

52182062761_317afa9288_z.jpg

(yes, I know the model is missing quite a few parts not in LDD... they will be there when the model is finished IRL in the next week or so.)

The XS wheels are slightly smaller than the standard size wheels shown on the model, but it should still work with them... I hope. I'll report back with pictures of the wheels and such when I get them, and I'll probably make a thread for the vehicle too at some point.

Edited by Murdoch17

As promised, here is a pic of the XS wheels on the new rail-mobile MOC:

52219669262_1fbd9f75ff_z.jpg

I didn't know what to expect with these, so I had to rework it a bit to make them fit.... I ended up shaving a layer of plates off the bottom of the model for it to work. I hope this help somebody who needs this info.

On the other end of the size spectrum: supposed #15 (or so) size XXXL wheels are included in the new Hogwarts Express set 76405. Beware: They are all flanged, and so no blind ones are in the set. View them compared to the regular L-size (#9) official drivers in the spoiler tag. (very large picture warning!)

Spoiler

76405_alt6.jpg

Edited by Murdoch17

Murdoch17, yeah, I too, do think that it has #15 wheels. 15,5plates.

Nice looking rail-mobile :)