12 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion of the set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

23 minutes ago, makoy said:

I am a little bit distracted by those different coloured Technic pins and axles. Can't they all just be black for uniformity? Other than that, I think this is a really good model for Rubicon.

Unfortunately, that's not how Technic works nowadays. Pins and axles have a plethora of colors to make them easier distinguishable. You'll get used to it :laugh:

12 hours ago, Jim said:

Glad I'm not alone :sweet:

Unfortunately, the poll is still broken. We're planning an upgrade, which will hopefully fix this issue.

I don't understand this comment. Maybe it's not to your liking, but it clearly looks like a Jeep.

The yellow 80’s technic Jeep looks more like a Jeep of that time. The new one is very busy. How it’s pieces together is very distracting. If it didn’t say rubicon on the side I would not call it a Jeep Wrangler. 

the larger Range Rover piece. I look at that and instantly say yup new Range Rover. The calling card details r there. 

I wish they did a larger more expensive version of the wrangler so more detail could have been fleshed out. Especially since Jeep is releasing a hybrid this year which is a huge first for the 4 wheeler community. 

Edited by jimim
Add

Personally I think the designer of the front of the Corvette designed the A-pillars/roof of this, but the rest of it looks good.

I mad e a deal with my brother that if he gets this I get the Senna :D

24 minutes ago, Merlict said:

Great review of an 'ok' set

Needs a spoiler warning for that horrible obese Hummer H2 though, yuck!

Funny you should say that - 42099 is based on a Hummer.

I really don't think the licensing adds anything here. They could have just done a generic jeep, get rid of the stickers, and make it a chunk cheaper.

What annoys me more though are the limitations of the few functions it has. The steering as mentioned barely turns, giving it a huge turning circle. Even with that limited steering the wheel arches are tight and there's a lot of play in the whole front suspension, which is why the rear suspension is also limited (the two yellow crankshaft pieces you see in the photo of the rear suspension). Without that limit the front wheels jam when you play with it.

(A month later and that poll is still broken)

Licensing could open door for future models and there are lot of adults that are collectors at the same time...like in every huge company LEGO management (probably) knows what they are doing in the long terms

1 hour ago, Duq said:

I really don't think the licensing adds anything here. They could have just done a generic jeep, get rid of the stickers, and make it a chunk cheaper.

I think it's time for you to run a multi-billion-dollar company :thumbup:

Edit: While I do agree with your assessment from my personal point of view, I do think TLG knows what sells and what not.

Hello.

This set seems to me quite interesting for some reason:

1. It is not very expensive and is available to many Lego funs, unlike Ferrari and Land Rover;

2. Lego is a constructor. I have a feeling that some of the sets are made specifically for people who will improve them. There are so many things that can be changed without having to disassemble it much for this;

3. Not bad sets of details. There are already interesting C-models.

This is all a toy for children and it is probably not very corect to apply our adult claims to it :classic: My 6year old sun is not very happy with my attempts at modernization.

I think this model looks good, but it does remind me a bit more of a Hummer. The suspension and steering is a nice build, but I miss the shock absorbers from the front, would have been more useful for alternative builds. And also, I would have been happier with a larger, more detailed Jeep. Would have definitely bought such a model.

Finally got around to putting this set together and to me good or bad this set has no suspension at all, it can however lean to either side. I pretty much bought it for parts so all in all not disappointed. To me it looks okay but all the features are very lackluster and cheesily done, like the Corvette, it won't be together long.

As @Johnny1360 said I also bought it mostly for parts; specially new tires. There also new panels and biscuit pieces...

Made a few changes to my Jeep. First of all I raised the roof and filled in the gap under the doors.

50859275176_7dcd7e0b53_c.jpg

LEGO 42122 MOD 1 by Duq, on Flickr

Also changed the bumper ends from dbg to black.

At the back the black frames had to change because of the roof so they are much cleaner now. Again changed the bumper ends.

50858556103_348b566f28_c.jpg

LEGO 42122 MOD 2 by Duq, on Flickr

A bit more subtle, there are two bits of yellow axle visible in the bumper, I've covered them with a 1x2 beam.

I move the HoG steering knob on top of the roof. It's vertical now and I find that easier to use.

My full review of the set is now on Brickset: https://brickset.com/reviews/59424

Question: does anyone know why there are two half-pins inside at the back? You can just see them in the photo, in the double-angled yellow beams. Step 126 & 139 if you have the instructions handy.

6 hours ago, Duq said:

Question: does anyone know why there are two half-pins inside at the back? You can just see them in the photo, in the double-angled yellow beams. Step 126 & 139 if you have the instructions handy.

This is two parts for us as a gift :)))

On 1/21/2021 at 3:27 PM, Duq said:

Usually they are used to occupe some pinholes to prevent of their use when attaching some subassembly with a chance of incorrect offset. "hey, should it be 3 or 4 studs forward to.. Oh no!"