Sariel

42122 Jeep Wrangler [VIDEO REVIEW]

The first 2021 Technic set's review is here, with next sets to follow on December 15th:

Excellent review Sariel!

Personally, I think I'd score the authenticity a bit higher since it's still recognizable. :tongue:

Review was great, as usual, thanks very much :-)

I personally don't think the front is that ugly, I gotta say :D

Excellent review, thanks to you I see that set is even greater parts pack than I thought at the first place :thumbup:

10 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Review was great, as usual, thanks very much :-)

I personally don't think the front is that ugly, I gotta say :D

I don't think it's particularly ugly, but I also don't think it's a great match to the real vehicle. The headlights are protruding instead of recessed. There's no winch on the real Jeep. The bumper looks quite different (and hard to replicate in Lego). And the grill, while accurate, I would have preferred to be built instead of printed. I'm sure that was a demand of the Jeep marketing team though. The grill is too iconic to compromise on. So as a Lego set, I think it's fine, but it's better when there's not a picture of the real thing to compare to :thumbup:

Excellent as usuall. It's about what i expected. Actually i didn't expect articulation in the rear at all.  At this scale i can live with that grille.

Just one small thing; new panel is 3 x 7 x 1 and not 5 x 7 x 1 :wink:

excellent review as usual Sariel

On the set though.. i dont mind the looks of the front, but the thing is an absolute disgrace for a technic set, it costs €55 over here, and it hardly has any actual technical functions, winches are a thing even on City sets, so we get steering and poorly working pendular suspension.... not every a hint of a driveline.

Compare that to 42037 for instance, which cost the same over here.... (or the ducati for instance... that actually shows all the technical features a motorbike should have, and includes a gearbox for crying out loud)

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Just one small thing; new panel is 3 x 7 x 1 and not 5 x 7 x 1 :wink:

I've seen it, and the new 2x3 panel is also interesting.

13 minutes ago, nicjasno said:

I've seen it, and the new 2x3 panel is also interesting.

Yes, this small 3 x 2 is great. I can hardly wait until set is available (50 miles away from you :laugh:)

Regards

3 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Does it fit on the car transporter?

Looking at the size of it, I believe it should fit.

I really like the review, but as for the set... Two thumbs down. This is not a Technic set. This is a Racers set sold under the Technic brand name. I really dislike how Lego has chosen to make Technic more like Racers. 

If this set has no drivetrain, why couldn't it have had proper live axles, versus this basic pendular stuff? Why no drivetrain? It should be perfectly possible to do that, with pendular axles. Also, the front minus the grille is kind of ugly. The lights just look plain wrong, and a lot of bits of the real Jeep are missing, for no reason. This just feels like it's a Technic set designed by and for someone who doesn't care about about Technic. If it were Model Team, like the Mustang, this level of functions would be fine. This set tries to split the difference, and manages to have all the cons of both approaches, but none of the pros. Model Team or Creator Expert sacrifices function for looks, whereas Technic usually does the opposite. This set awkwardly has neither the good looks of a Creator set, and offers none of the functionality of a Technic set. 

It's a set for new customers and something to probably be sold in Jeep dealerships aswell (like the landrover is also sold in land rover dealerships i belive).

6 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

This just feels like it's a Technic set designed by [...] someone who doesn't care about about Technic.

I'm sure Lars Thygesen will be delighted to know what you think of his work.

16 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'm sure Lars Thygesen will be delighted to know what you think of his work.

To be fair, if Technic designers are reading this forum it's to get an AFOLs perspective. And yes we know it's meant for kids and blah blah blah, but we still have our views and some spending power (and I do wonder how many kids are watching OUR reviews on youtube and reading our thoughts in forums to feed their curiosity about the shiney new sets on offer) and I'm pretty sure the Technic designers know what to expect when they visit here. Of course critism must be kept polite and constructive though (in my job I can't come with a problem without also coming with a solution or three) and I would like to encourage people to also say what they like about a set, not just what they don't.

Edited by allanp

24 minutes ago, allanp said:

To be fair, if Technic designers are reading this forum

Are they, though? The only designer known to hang around here is @grohl. Personally I'd love it if other designers were lurking - it'd be great to chat with Michael or Uwe, or see @Saberwing40k offering a grovelling apology to Lars T. :laugh:

22 hours ago, JunkstyleGio said:

A quick (digital) rebuild. with the help of @Sariel

So far bag 1 only and alternatate rims/tires..

This tires look much more suited for this than tractor tires; perhaps we see first modified version

Great review, thank you so much!

Unrelated but @Sariel are there plans for the 3rd edition of your awesome Unofficial LEGO Technic Builder's Giude?

38 minutes ago, doughnut said:

Unrelated but @Sariel are there plans for the 3rd edition of your awesome Unofficial LEGO Technic Builder's Giude?

I've brought this subject up with my publisher recently but no response so far. I'm under impression that they haven't been doing that well lately. Perhaps piracy and pandemic hit them hard.

50684177656_2ced825d46_z.jpg

Finished baggies 2 too.

Maybe the model looks better with oversized wheels?

50683416573_06d3a89c00_z.jpg

Edited by JunkstyleGio

3 hours ago, Sariel said:

I've brought this subject up with my publisher recently but no response so far. I'm under impression that they haven't been doing that well lately. Perhaps piracy and pandemic hit them hard.

Oh that would be too bad! I'll keep my fingers crossed, it would be great to see an updated edition. Thanks!

On 12/5/2020 at 7:47 PM, I_Igor said:

This tires look much more suited for this than tractor tires; perhaps we see first modified version

Hopefully we will get a middle sized agri tyre which would suit the front of a 4wd tractor, as these are just too for a front tractor wheel.