So, as voted by my viewers, and you lot, i started on the Sierra. We're 10 stream sessions in, and this is what we've got so far.

Inspiration:

XlckKtb.jpg

What is currently built:

DGc1EVl.jpg

eG7jyTc.jpg

tQS9u7i.jpg

0Hvl4mj.jpg

Comparison with Charger

zfsmfr8.jpg

The problem will be picking a color, because there is a limited selection of 15L fender pieces. So right now i use panels of varios colors that just happen to be in my posession.

Edited by nicjasno

2 minutes ago, nicjasno said:

The problem will be picking a color, because there is a limited selection of 15L fender pieces. So right now i use panels of varios colors that just happen to be in my posession.

Yeah, that will be a problem as usual :laugh::ugh: And tbh I'd already count out Orange because it would kill the contrast with the orange turn signals :sceptic:

Looking excellent as always, I always like seeing the work you do with your suspension and steering setups. I have questions but I'll see if I can find those live streams first, I assume they're on YouTube?

As for colour, dark blue!

10 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Yeah, that will be a problem as usual :laugh::ugh: And tbh I'd already count out Orange because it would kill the contrast with the orange turn signals :sceptic:

Yeah, i would not like to make it orange.

3 minutes ago, allanp said:

Looking excellent as always, I always like seeing the work you do with your suspension and steering setups. I have questions but I'll see if I can find those live streams first, I assume they're on YouTube?

As for colour, dark blue!

All streams are on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/c/nicjasno/videos

How firm are you on only using original Lego fenders? And/or painting pieces?

You can find fenders in a lot of colours on Ali and generally the quality can't be bad enough to make a difference overall.

It's a really great start! I'm looking forward to see how it turns out :)

I can see your ring light reflecting in the screen.  :thumbup:  I've started using one about a year ago for desktop pictures and videos, they're amazing little devices.

The front suspension looks innovative.  I like the use of the new CV joints, and the custom hubs.  I'm not sure I understand how the pivot/compression acts on the the anti-roll bar, it looks like the CV joint would push into the suspension arm when the suspension is being compressed.  Maybe the slack in Lego allows it to work as is.

5 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

The front suspension looks innovative.  I like the use of the new CV joints, and the custom hubs.  I'm not sure I understand how the pivot/compression acts on the the anti-roll bar, it looks like the CV joint would push into the suspension arm when the suspension is being compressed.  Maybe the slack in Lego allows it to work as is.

Just like in the real car.

Great project! And the building speed is also very impressive. I guess project was born 6-8 weeks ago and you already have front skeleton ready! I know how complex is to develop all this. Keep looking for you project!

@nicjasno In your stream "Lego Ford Sierra Live Stream 54 - Is this the turbo?" (see below),

there is a gear combination situated at the engine with the gears 12 (at the bottom) - 24 (at the side) - 16 - 16 - 16 - 24 (two times at the top). This can be made with less gears with these options:

• 24       24
    For the gear combination between 24 and 20, the distance is 2 both horizontal and vertical. This is not a very good solution since then the diagonal is sqrt(2^2+2^2)=2.828... Multiplying with 16 to obtain the number of teeth on the gears gives 45.254... but 20+24=44 and this gap between 45.254... and 44 is too big.
  • A better option is this:
    24       24
    For the gear combination between 24 and 28, the horizontal distance is 2 and the vertical distance is 2.5. Then the diagonal is sqrt(2^2+2.5^2)=3.201... Multiplying with 16 to obtain the number of teeth on the gears gives 51.224... And 24+28=52 which should be close enough.

@nicjasno The above gear combination can be made as follows. The orange 20 tooth gear needs to be replaced by a 28 tooth gear.

gears_1.png

gears_2.png

Edit: an even better solution is this one:

gears_3.png

At first sight, the gears are on the same coordinates as in the previous solution, but they are not because the hole of the 1 x 1 Technic Brick is 0.015 stud higher than the standard studded grid. Thus now the distances from top to bottom are:

Diagonally between the 24 and 28 tooth gears: the distance in real life is sqrt(2.515^2+2^2)=3.213... and the optimal theoretical distance is (24+28)/16=3.25.

Vertically between the 28 and 24 tooth gears: the distance in real life is 3.3-(2*0.015)=3.27 and the optimal theoretical distance is (24+28)/16=3.25.

Vertically between the 24 and 12 tooth gears: the distance in real life is 2.2+0.015=2.215 and the optimal theoretical distance is (12+24)/16=2.25.

@tomek9210 The chain does not fit with the 12 tooth gear.

Edited by technicmath
Added a better solution

13 hours ago, tomek9210 said:

Why don't you use a chain?

Because of the gar ratio we need to achive. I'd love to, but neither the 9 tooth gear not the 12 tooth gear can drive it.

13 hours ago, technicmath said:

@nicjasno The above gear combination can be made as follows. The orange 20 tooth gear needs to be replaced by a 28 tooth gear.

Yes! This is actually pretty damn good.

Edited by Milan
Removed the pictures quoted from the previous post.

What about putting 16 tooth gear on the same axle as 24 tooth gear on the bottom and use is to drive chain (use 16 tooth gears on top then). It would extend one stud to the front though.

22 hours ago, tomek9210 said:

What about putting 16 tooth gear on the same axle as 24 tooth gear on the bottom and use is to drive chain (use 16 tooth gears on top then). It would extend one stud to the front though.

Can't have a gear on the drive axle beyond the 12 tooth. It would hit the suspension bridge.

@nicjasno In the previous designs, there is an even number of gears in the geartrain. Thus the first and last gears turn in opposite directions. If you want them to turn in the same direction, an odd number of gears can be used. For example as follows with gears 12-24-20-12-24 (from bottom to top):

• Design A:
    gears_4.png

• Design B:
    gears_5.png

At first sight, the gears in design A and B are on the same coordinates, but they are not because the hole of the 1 x 1 Technic Brick is 0.015 stud higher than the standard studded grid. Thus the distances from top to bottom are:

Diagonally between the 24 and 12 tooth gears: in design A it is sqrt(2^2+1^2)=2.236..., in design B it is sqrt(2^2+1.015^2)=2.242... and the optimal theoretical distance is (12+24)/16=2.25. -> Design B is better

Vertically between the 12 and 20 tooth gears: in both design A and B, the distance is 2, which also is the optimal theoretical distance (12+20)/16=2.

Vertically between the 20 and 24 tooth gears: in design A it is 2.785, in design B it is 2.77 and the optimal theoretical distance is (20+24)/16=2.75. -> Design B is better

Vertically between the 24 and 12 tooth gears: in both design A and B, the distance is 2.2+0.015=2.215 and the optimal theoretical distance is (12+24)/16=2.25.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, tomek9210 said:

Can't have a gear on the drive axle beyond the 12 tooth. It would hit the suspension bridge.

On 4/21/2021 at 6:23 PM, technicmath said:

@nicjasno In the previous designs, there is an even number of gears in the geartrain. Thus the first and last gears turn in opposite directions. If you want them to turn in the same direction, an odd number of gears can be used. For example as follows with gears 12-24-20-12-24 (from bottom to top):

• Design A:

• Design B:

Nice! I'd like for them to spin the same direction ofc. I will try to use one of your designs. I like it.

Edited by Milan
Let's not quote pictures from the same page.

Almost at the end of this project. Small details to sort out and i need to order a bunch of parts in the correct colors.

l4j1uHG.jpg

cm3cxnr.jpg

yHbUXpa.jpg

sAdwRx5.jpg

i5yY7xh.jpg

zCnEF7Q.jpg

@nicjasno

Nice! I really like the Sierras - well, my parents owned a few in the past, though actually a sedan and some station wagons. The huge rear lights look really familiar.

BTW, the tumbler tyres also "fit" to the used rims and might give a nice alternative to the used wheels. They come out sightly bigger though.

Fantastic! I really like the front grille. The rs500 is a total beast of a car too! Nice choice.

Nice use of these new Panels for the edge of the hood, I really need to get myself some of those as well. But I really dislike the fenders made of connectors. I think flex axles would be a better choice, and look much smoother.

I'd be lying if I said I think the Sierry is beautiful, but the sound it makes is awesome. I can see why this car is iconic, as a JDM car guy I watched a few Bathhurst races featuring the GT-R, and for how technologically supirior the GT-R was the Sierras actually didn't do as bad as I expected going into it. But well, my heart is with the 32 :wub:

Edited by Gray Gear