Hi guys,

After feedback from my last MOC, I decided to start a new one. I am focusing on the bodywork first. I used a "dummy" chassis to build the front of the vehicle until I finished the front of the chassis. I then transferred the bodywork over. The chassis has independent suspension and a flat 6 engine. The engine drive is transferred below the steering shaft via the use of clutch double bevel gears. I also used one of the new gray double bevel gears which happened to fit perfectly on he engine crankshaft. Photos:

50675430218_26eaa7f9fa_c.jpg

50676261002_1da3d6645f_z.jpg

50675430118_9d2a31f848_z.jpg

I am at a point where I am not sure how to continue the bodywork. I have never been able to get doors right and looking around the internet has not really helped. Does anybody have advice on how to do the sides of the vehicle?

-TechnicRCRacer

@Jurss and @suffocation what do you guys think of this? I changed the front to slopes.

50676054803_32bf9296ae_c.jpg

I also changed the wheels to white since this suspension setup is dependent on the old variant of the wheels. I still need the most help with the door bodywork, any advice on that?

Maybe these will complement better with the panels on the side, but just an idea :-)

61678.png

I've finished the chassis for the most part and now I am moving on to bodywork.

50889557212_5b8582e8ce_z.jpg

I found a neat trick to get panel #5 to align with the smaller 3x7x2 panel and some beams: the micrometer pulley part makes it perfectly align with the curvature and a 1/2 pin on the 3x7 slots in to the gap in the #5 panel. More details if someone asks. 

I do not have enough 1x6 thin lifters to make a fourth seat yet. The chassis has a 2-speed gearbox(I would rather keep it simple) and full independent suspension. It steers with the steering wheel.

50889440931_929a2c3bce_z.jpg

50888727088_7464133ebf_z.jpg

Now I'm stuck. Bodywork is not my strong point, so progress will be much slower from now on. I can't find a good angle for the back trunk area. If anyone has ideas let me know.

-TechnicRCRacer

Perhaps something simple, such as a jeep back-opening-thing? So that the back door opens that way, and that it is relatively flat. I don't know if that would go with the overall scheme...   Maybe put it on a slant, using some half-stud pieces?

I am still working on this! I was busy with some other LEGO-related activities. My Bricks&Pieces order is arriving soon with TONS of the new parts so expect an update to this in the near future.

On 2/8/2021 at 2:39 PM, Scoar Sonander said:

Perhaps something simple, such as a jeep back-opening-thing? So that the back door opens that way, and that it is relatively flat. I don't know if that would go with the overall scheme...   Maybe put it on a slant, using some half-stud pieces?

Sorry I missed this, I did not get an alert for some reason. Good idea, I still want to finish the back bumper to determine the shaping of the back, but I will experiment with a Jeep-style hatch.

Finally made some progress, I have been pulling my hair out on a special transmission on an upcoming dark green car... 

51680608068_4ddcc95123_h.jpg

I am missing 3 pieces in the correct color. Every bit of bodywork is complete, minus possible revisions. The main problem was the back, which has gone through 4 revisions.

51681027529_62ac0492d8_h.jpg

Can anyone share advice on the back? It still is a little too flat. New parts have become available since I built the front and sides, therefore I should consider the new options. I will not be making instructions for this model; the chassis uses many subpar building techniques and steering is poor. I am overall happy with the bodywork.

Aesthetics isn't my strong suit so I'll defer to others with more experience on that. With that said I like the way you enclosed the model. I bet you wish you had those 9L Links in white :pir-laugh:. If I could make one suggestion, it would be to revise the front suspension by using the 5L or 6L Steering Arms (with tow-ball sockets). The knuckle has much better security & you can also (vertically) brace the upper & lower arms with a connector for a solid overall assembly. I did an RC Mod of 8858 Rebel Wrecker a while back & the front wheels would routinely fall off using the original linkage, which is what prompted the switch.

Edited by P McCatty