After many revisions, I have to call it finished

vintage_tractor_12.jpg

quite obviously for anyone that knows tractors my main inspiration was a vintage Massey Ferguson 

features include:

• steering
  • 3 cylinder engine
  • diff
  • PTO
  • suspension on drivers seat
  • 3 point hitch
  • pivoting front axle
  • ackerman geometry
  • toe in
  • positive caster
  • positive camber

All that wheel aligning was necessary as the front axle is obviously quite 'basic' in its build integrity to replicate vintage tractor front axles of the era.

vintage_tractor_13.jpg 

vintage_tractor_01.jpg 

you may notice that the tyres are not on 'properly'. this gives a slightly more rounded look. But I used the older 3 hole wheels from the 8110 set as they do not have the perpendicular ridges that stop the tyre being put on wrong.

vintage_tractor_04.jpg 

vintage_tractor_07.jpg 

vitage_tractor_010.jpg 

vitage_tractor_011.jpg 

Video shows how totally incompetent I am at voicing my videos but its so dry and boring that its quite funny so I left it and just tried to spice it up a bit with other stuff.

Cool; now with new small tractor tires it could look even better dedpite that similar tractors that I see every day (50+ years old) have front truck like tires

I just love old style machinery like this. Especially the steering system via push-rods. Just a question: On the left sided level for the steering, why did you use such a strange combination and not just 3L half beams?

Also: A little colour would give this wunderful piece a nicer look I think^^

@I_Igor: Depends, if you have front wheels driven (profile is needed) or just front wheels for steering (no profile needed).

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

new small tractor tires

I don’t think they will suit tbh. Thin truck tyres like you say would be perfect.

56 minutes ago, Jundis said:

why did you use such a strange combination and not just 3L half beams?

Not sure I think I just wanted it to look ‘rounder’ and hide the 2l half ‘stop’ thingy.2 

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

A little colour would give this wunderful piece a nicer look I think^^

Maybe! But not too many choices because of some parts used.

45 minutes ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Awesome looks and function! Any problems with connectors on front axle falling apart?

No way! :grin: it’s all aligned quite well that it stays together nicely. Although maybe different for a motorised build.

1 hour ago, trekman said:

Nice clean work.

thanks!

1 hour ago, braker23 said:

Spot on design, lovely functions, nice detail, my kind of MOC :)

Thanks!!

Very nice tractor. I appreciate the amount of work which went to the front axle. The rigid hose in #1 connectors seems a bit sketchy, but as you are saying it is probably okay for a non-motorized MOC. 
Also as far as I can tell there is no worm gear in the steering mechanism. Bump steer is not an issue?
I must say the blue headlights look a bit odd to me. I guess it is there to «spice it up a bit”? ?

I am fascinated by the vintage tractors myself. I have a MOC sitting on a shelf waiting for a video, probably it is the time to finally publish it  

Too bad TLG is not fond on vintage machinery for the Technic line. Tractors are the perfect subject for a set. 

Oh man, this is amazing! Really has the classic Ferguson feel about it and the level of detail is superb. The removable canopy is cool as well; it gives the tractor a real Brazilian look. :thumbup:

Excellent build! I think it's got good potential to be motorized :)

13 hours ago, proran said:

The rigid hose in #1 connectors seems a bit sketchy, but as you are saying it is probably okay for a non-motorized MOC. 
Also as far as I can tell there is no worm gear in the steering mechanism. Bump steer is not an issue?

Good questions!

I tried a worm gear but there was too much looseness in that design that bump steer was very bad. 
the images below show the slop (without turning the worm gear) too the red liftarm which equates to a third to half of the steering either left or right! 

7e8701f3-b014-46ac-a823-f11697ed8eb2.jpe b026e1ee-b8b4-4fe9-a313-b9e835219161.jpe 

As for the rigid hose they are used so I could cut them to get the right lengths (and to look more svelte :blush:) and the main steering push rod has differing pivot directions each end and the hoses have good flex in them.

The below video is not meant to be patronising to anyone as no doubt you all know the affects of toe in/out on wheels, but it’s just highlighting how little tolerance there was, to getting the length right of the steering link between the wheels! The right length sits in between the two in the below video for a smooth driving tractor.

12 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Oh man, this is amazing! Really has the classic Ferguson feel about it and the level of detail is superb. The removable canopy is cool as well; it gives the tractor a real Brazilian look. :thumbup:

Thank you!!

7 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Excellent build! I think it's got good potential to be motorized :)

funny you say that but this started out as a motorised build. I think getting drive through the PTO is easy then Just need another linked PTO for the steering then motors and batteries could be hidden in the trailer build!

I love it! I don't know much about tractors but this is instantly recognizable as the classic Ferguson, well done!

We don't see enough vintage machinery here, even though they have a lot of interesting functions and also tend to show more of the mechanisms compared to modern machines.

12 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

The below video is not meant to be patronising to anyone as no doubt you all know the affects of toe in/out on wheels, but it’s just highlighting how little tolerance there was, to getting the length right of the steering link between the wheels!

Fascinating study in the steering geometry. Now the rigid hose makes perfect sense. For the slack in the steering I’ve switched to the new 1m   worm gear meshed to 20t bevel. But, yeah, bump steer is a huge pain. Thanks for the interesting discussion!

That sounds more like backlash in the system, rather than bump steer to me? Both are annoying though!

Anyway, I think the multiple solutions in play to create the correct geometry are ingenious; I think the caster angle solution will be very useful for similar MOCs.

Did you have any plans for clam-shell fenders? Stylistically, I don't think the 'blocky' approach used on 4000025 would be appropriate :sceptic: