Comrade_funny

[LDD] HMS Saber

Hello all, I'm currently working on a brig... I haven't been able to build it out yet irl, but I have made substantial progress over around 2-3 hour on Stud.io.

rsz_hms_saber_1.jpg.82c5e2269c23aee64f38e34cd7139fdc.jpg

Here she is, The HMS Saber. I used inspiration from various Lego ships on flickr and the forum as well as the real brig USS Niagara. I'm very pleased with how it has turned out so far, as this is my very first ship ever. But I'm still looking to improve, I'd be very happy if you could leave some feedback and criticism.

Thanks, 

Comrade:pir-classic:

It looks very good for a first ship MOC and a ship Moc itself in general, though it's more of a schooner rather than a brig. So far I do like the look of this model and those little cannons especially. Good job!

9 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

...more of a schooner rather than a brig.

I think what you're seeing is all superficial and not related to the rig with regard to schooner vs brig. There's no gaff on the main mast, instead she's clearly rigged with a fore course. She does lack top masts and topsails, but I think that our new builder just isn't that far in their reckoning and we'd see them included on later iterations :pir-wink: Also the low angle bowsprit isn't specific to schooners, but it just a way some ships manage to fit more and/or bigger head sails. In fact, I guessed correctly upon opening the thread at the inspirational vessel, which indeed does have a very long and low angle bowsprit, which brings us to:

@Comrade_funny Interesting first showing. before I scrolled to read your write-up I though to my self "huh, Niagara?" So, she's recognizable and that's something. I mentioned the low bow sprit, but yours is down right horizontal. To be more like Niagara, you'll want to figure out a way to mount it so that it rises up at least a few degrees. Also think about adding top masts and topsails. That being said you haven't told us much about your goals for the build or your values as a builder/modeler so it's hard to give more specific advice. If you're trying to model Niagara or make more realistic model like builds, then I may be helpful. If you're more on the Lego ship end of the spectrum, I'm not your guy so much, but there are a lot of great builders around here who are. Why not do another iteration and share a little more with us in those regards? For now, I see nothing, in particular, that needs "correcting" on your ship, just things that could be adjusted and that's pretty significant. It's rare to see first efforts that don't suffer from common misconceptions, so kudos to you on that!

Thanks for sharing!

Dave :pir-huzzah2:

Hello, thanks for the positive feedback and recommendations for HMS Saber. I'm no sailor and don't know much about ships, however I have begun to take an interest in the Age of Sail and the Napoleonic Wars so I guess that could very well change.

@kurigan I took your advice and began a second iteration of the ship, I slightly elevated the bow sprit and added a top mast. I also removed the long boat or landing craft, and replaced it with two crates, I figured on a physical model the cannons would fit better. Speaking of the cannons and armaments, I updated the cannons which were greatly inspired by @Elusys Ra Arwal and added puckle guns (I believe that is what they're called). 

@Professor Thaum You asked for more pictures of the hull so I tried my best to get three good angles of the ship.

With out further ado here is the HMS Saber 2.0

HMS Saber update

HMS Saber update front

HMS Saber update side

HMS Saber update back

Here is the updated cannon.

Ship Cannon

Again thank you all for the feedback, I'll speak to you all again soon.

Comrade

Well it's unmistakably a brig now :pir-grin:. Where you wanna take her from here is up to you, dono what else to offer. Could keep her as is if you like, could keep developing her too. That is a nice gun design. Shame I don't have any of those fezs around. I think you mean swivel guns, BTW. The pickle gun was a thing but to my knowledge, not a naval one. It was one of the first repeating gun designs. If it had worked better, I'm sure they woukd have found their way aboard though :pir-wink:. Never mind that they smack of innovation, they'd be a great way to clear decks and respell boarders.

Cheers :pir-huzzah2:

Dave

I hope this doesn't qualify as a bump.  It's certainly not timely, and I apologize for that.

I love the cannon design.  It's absolutely terrific, and definitely one of the best brick built guns I've seen.

The ship itself is off to a good start.  I'd echo Kurigan by saying there should be more sail to her.  Since it seems to be a brick built design, I'd encourage you to taper the hull a bit, rather than have her be the same shape all the way aft.  I'd refer you to some of Kurigan's work for this, since he's quite good at it.  Perhaps tile the top of your spanker spars (I don't know if that's the correct terminology.  I mean the sail that hangs off of the back of the aft mast.)  Other than that, your coloring looks terrific, your mast placement is good.

Pretty well done for a first design!