Darnok

The BotBS Advent Calendar 2020

The BotBS Advent Calendar

How it works:

Spoiler
  • Over in an extra thread we got one person for each of the 24 days until Christmas - each to build and post something in time for their respective day.
  • To have each "door" of this advent calendar set up right, the entry for said day is to be posted in this thread not more than one day in advance, while also using a spoiler tag to hide its content.
  • That way everybody can "open the door" at their own pace, and nothing gets unvoluntarily spoiled.
  • All days will get linked to in this post once they are up - that way the OP will act as the easily accessibly actual advent calendar.
  • Furthermore, this thread is meant for direct feedback on those daily posts, as well as for general chatter around the advent calendar. All organisational questions should still be posted in the organisation thread.
  • If in doubt, drop a PM to @Darnok.
  • I hope each and everybody reading this has a relaxed and peaceful Christmas time! :pir-classic:

Edited by Darnok

1st of December

Spoiler

"Wait, December 1st again? Already? Does this not mean... oh no, Merrymas is fast approaching!"

Captain Brownbeard could not help but get nervous. His year had been rather underwhelming so far: piracy was not as successful as it used to be, far less ships on the Brick Seas than in previous years, most notably Oleon ships had done almost no trading lately. Those bluecoats were up to something for sure!

Anyway, Brownbeard had to do something - only 23 days left to Merrymas! Plundering a small village for presents? Some last-minute carving of child toys out of shipwreck parts? Digging up one of his chests filled with coins and giving them awa... no, most definitely not this one!

However, being the brilliant Captain he had always been, Brownbeard came up with a creative solution. He set sail for the northern sea, were he had heard of some old chap having a surplus of presents... and he actually provided! Brownbeard even a spare red hat as a present for himself:

b7I71ZA.jpg

Merrymas can come!

Edited by Darnok

2. December!

Spoiler

Between the West and East Prio Sea, the tranquille island of the Rock is getting ready for Merrymas. It will be the 3rd Merrymas in the pirate Sea Rat town, and the celebration are organized by the major Lothario Fraunces and his brothers: Alfie and Jacobo. They've made the Rock their home and have invited their most loyal compagnions to test a new product: Glühwein. Produced by the Monks of the island -normally making trappist beer- for the special occasion of Merrymas! It must be perfect, before sending it to all of the other Sea Rat Inn's around the Brick Seas: so the fine-tasting can begin!

Tasting Glühwein

Spoiler
Inn

Edited by Fraunces

Great job kicking off the calendar you two!  Where's the left saber over the doorway from Fraunces?

3 December

In Kingsport, a kindly old gentleman makes his rounds. He stops in at every family in need, making sure they're looked after.

Gifts in Kingsport

Edited by Ross Fisher

11 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Where's the left saber over the doorway from Fraunces?

It's a fake version of POTC Blackbeards sword, got it by coïncidence :innocent:

4. December

Spoiler

In Gondova, Namere, Countess Agnes Mesabi distributed food to hungry citizens. A passerby caught a rare smile from her. Apparently even Agnes's icy heart unthawed a bit for the holiday...

50679080042_5890b8cd06_w.jpg

Looking great everyone (I am certainly outclassed here! Luckily I'm doing two of these so I can redeem myself later! :pir-laugh:)

@Ross Fisher, that snow cover looks excellent, and the build is very put together. 

@Fraunces, excellent tavern scene. The stained glass behind the bar looks amazing, and the whole seen really has a good, holiday cheer look.

@Darnok, Thanks for putting this on!

5. December

Spoiler

While General Brickleton (Captain Brickleton's father) has been retired from the Corrington Armed Forces for a few years, he still reports for duty every December.

After getting set up in the 3rd floor of the northeast tower of the Headquarters of the Armed Forces in the Corlander capital of Belson, he opens and responds to Merrymas letters from the children of servicemen and women currently abroad.

Lieutenant Steeling brings in bags of letters the children have sent to the powers that be, and Brickleton does his best to grant their Merrymas wishes.

With a sizeable fortune at his disposal, the retired general often sends attendants off on errands to purchase gifts.

merrymas1-1.jpg

Additional Images:

Spoiler

merrymas1-2.jpg

merrymas1-3.jpg

merrymas1-bare.jpg

merrymas1-process.jpg

Looking great everyone!

Not sure about the green on the edges but that's a pretty sweet wall technique!

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

Not sure about the green on the edges but that's a pretty sweet wall technique!

Thanks! The wall technique idea is from Isaac. Green 1x1 tiles were sort of by necessity - I didn't have enough 1x1 white or gold tiles, and tan/bley looked bland... the green was festive at least! Wanted some green/red accents to make it Merrymas-ful. Gave the redcoat green epaulettes :pir-huzzah2:

Edited by evancelt

6.December

Spoiler

Santa is coming by boat to Arlinsport.

m9xiglvx.jpg

He is accompanied by Black Pete, a fearsome pirate persona. It is said that Black Pete takes away the children, who did not behave, to the Sea Rats.

elhz9aln.jpg

Santa and Black Pete are played by the guys from  Seawolf Shipping company.

7. December

Spoiler

Everyone in Spudkirk has started to get into the festive spirit, and that includes some of the strictest officers in Her Majesty's Army!

Lord Spud invited many of them into his office, and passed around glasses and refreshments.

"Now," he began, "a toast for the health and prosperity of all on the Brick Seas - except those filthy bluecoats!!"

The men let out a cheer

"May we remember what is so dear to us at this time of year, and be thankful for what we have! God save the Queen!!"

They all raised their glasses and bellowed "God save the queen!!"

50689853453_e6e3abbfb9_z.jpg

8th of December

Spoiler

On the eight of December Uncle got as early Christmas present, one platoon of four Oleon soldiers.

Of course you can guess what he did with them.

Palm%20Tree%20Small%20%281%29.JPG

Palm%20Tree%20Small%20%282%29.JPG

Palm%20Tree%20Small%20%283%29.JPG

(To those in debt: justice may sleep, but it always wakes up... :pir-grin: )

9th of December

Spoiler

The war for Terraversa was still going on. Although none of his ship's have decided to hunt down the Oleonese invaders, Sean Greybeard has decided to support the freedom fighters, in a more obscure way. For Merrymas, his men have set up an underground soldier-smuggling train to get the guerrilla fighters to where they need to be, and to get them out just in time. between missions, however, Greybeard uses his influence to get the soldiers into freedom-supporting taverns were the brave soldiers were given a free meal, until it is back onto the road again, to the next battle. 

Merrymas

Freedom for Terraversa and a happy Merrymas to all!

Edited by Count Vroskri

11th December

(I post this early, because I won´t have the time for it tomorrow.)

Spoiler

After a day of military training the soldiers of the Hawarden Regiment and the Elizabethville militia gather at the Merrymas punch stall for a hearty end of duty day punch.

50699582768_9d44f3a308_b.jpg

Edited by Brickwolf

@Brickwolf - Cool build! I like the slanted edges of the vignette and reappearance of the brick-built boots! Glad the 26th Foot and militia are getting on so well

6 minutes ago, evancelt said:

- Cool build! I like the slanted edges of the vignette and reappearance of the brick-built boots! Glad the 26th Foot and militia are getting on so well 

@evancelt Glad you like it! Wouldn´t be complete without Sarge Allister´s boots!

Trading places w/ @KotZ - he'll do Dec 12 now!

10th of December

Spoiler

Granted the room didn't have any windows and the floorboards creaked, but the Sea Rat was grateful his room had solid walls and a real floor this Merrymas season.

As he lay back on his bed, he thought about how much more comfortable it was than the stable he’d been hiding out in this time last year. He even had a modicum of privacy!

Things were looking up.

Still, he daydreamed of riches.

dream-1.jpg

OOO: Wanted to try a build from the other side of the tracks than the recent Belson builds

Great idea!  Really cool job on the

Spoiler

dream cloud!

12th December

Spoiler

Elise my love,

I just recieved your letter about the vineyard. Fantastic wisdeom from my Uncle Robert on that piece of land. I'm still over in our theatre of war at the moment. Everything is going well, and I am still in one piece, thankfully. I pray we finish this soon so I can return home to your arms. Until then, I will be celebrating a quiet Merrymas on the ship with some of our rum.

As always, ever yours,

Emile

merrymas.png

@Spud The Viking - I like your 2/3 slope floor (and kilts!) :pir-huzzah2: That's cool

@Kai NRG - Those blueys are going to get a headache from all the blood rushing to their heads!

@Count Vroskri - Cool SNOT snow base!

Spoiler

@KotZ - Cool angled wall and technic pin candles!

Edited by evancelt
Added KotZ comment in spoiler

13th of December

Spoiler

On the 13th Day of Christmas, I would like to give my true love 13 Christmas trees. Do I qualify for the wholesale pirate price?  And does it come with a parrot on a pine tree gift with purchase like LEGO Shop@Home?

treeshopping.jpg

On 12/11/2020 at 8:16 AM, evancelt said:

Hide contents

@KotZ - Cool angled wall and technic pin candles!

Thanks! I can't take credit for the candles. I saw them elsewhere, but I can't remember who did them. It's very effective though.

14th of December

Spoiler

On the 14th of December the nefarious crew of the Rednose Deer Brig under the command of Captain Old Beard Caliquot began to burry ... Sorry : dispose... the treasures ... Gifts (Finally got the good term)... under the Tree.

They perhaps didn't have it all correctly clear in their mind but it is their way to celebrate Merrymas and it would be a nice treasure hunt to do after all the coffers will be hidden. :pir-grin:

l9ZBnJ5h.jpg