Mystery on the Excelsior - Chapter Five

8 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"So since no one's really answering any questions these days... next room?"

"Sounds good."

Vote to search 2B

On 12/19/2020 at 6:53 AM, Trekkie99 said:

"Sounds good."

Vote to search 2B

Room 2B is used by Charlotte Sawyer. It's similiar to the other suite in layout. The desk has a government briefcase on it and the bed is very nicely made.

8 hours ago, Bob said:

The desk has a government briefcase on it

I'd like to open the briefcase if possible

48 minutes ago, Trekkie99 said:

I'd like to open the briefcase if possible

It has a fingerprint lock, likely only accessible by Charlotte or other government officials. It has official United Earth Parliament insignias on it.

8 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Arthur checks the bathroom.

The bathroom appears to be nicely and neatly organized with various toiletries arranged and nothing out of the ordinary. 

3 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

Grace examines the desk.

The desk is reasonably empty except for a few pencils and pens and an official looking government paper.

11 hours ago, Bob said:

and an official looking government paper.

I'd like to inspect the contents of the paper

@Pandora "You gonna show us what's in ya fancy suitcase Lasse?"

On 12/22/2020 at 7:00 AM, Trekkie99 said:

I'd like to inspect the contents of the paper

@Pandora "You gonna show us what's in ya fancy suitcase Lasse?"

It's a document detailing the formation of a government on the Alpha Centauri colony, with instructions from the government on how exactly to create it. 

On 12/22/2020 at 7:21 AM, Tariq j said:

I’d like to check under the bed.

There's nothing under the bed.

On 12/22/2020 at 8:04 AM, Lord Duvors said:

Grace will search the closet.

The closet is filled with various suitcases, some of them unpacked and some of them not touched. There's several with official government sealing that is preventing the opening of the luggage.

23 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Bathroom's all in order."

Arthur investigates the trash.

The trash is empty.

"Right, no point in waiting any longer."

Grace will attempt to interface her datapad with the briefcase's lock and force the thing to open.

So what’s all the info we have so far? We know that:

Alfie Peck was found dead in his cabin.

Ezra was found unconscious in storage, knocked out by his own suitcase. 

Teapot shards used to kill Alfie were found behind the toilet in Jack Mallory’s room. 

Remnants of a burned letter/document were found in the bin in Housekeeping Storage.

Charlotte wrote a letter to George(?) telling him about their secret meeting. 

A ship is following the Excelsior and possibly jamming our transmissions.

I feel like that’s it. Have I missed anything.

On 12/24/2020 at 1:58 PM, Lord Duvors said:

"Right, no point in waiting any longer."

Grace will attempt to interface her datapad with the briefcase's lock and force the thing to open.

Unfortunately, even the Space Police datapad is unable to crack the government lock. 

Emily takes a compact from her rear pocket and dusts the mysterious letter for prints. She then transfers several to sticky tape and tries them on the briefcase lock in turn. She expects that some fingerprints are hers and George's and won't work, but she also expects she has picked up the Ambassador's print on at least one sample of sticky tape.

On 12/27/2020 at 1:31 PM, jimmynick said:

Emily takes a compact from her rear pocket and dusts the mysterious letter for prints. She then transfers several to sticky tape and tries them on the briefcase lock in turn. She expects that some fingerprints are hers and George's and won't work, but she also expects she has picked up the Ambassador's print on at least one sample of sticky tape.

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any fingerprints from Charlotte on the mysterious letter...

"Right, no use waiting around here. I say we start searching the crew quarters. Arthur, do you mind if we start with your room?"

On 12/24/2020 at 6:23 PM, Tariq j said:

So what’s all the info we have so far? We know that:

Alfie Peck was found dead in his cabin.

Ezra was found unconscious in storage, knocked out by his own suitcase. 

Teapot shards used to kill Alfie were found behind the toilet in Jack Mallory’s room. 

Remnants of a burned letter/document were found in the bin in Housekeeping Storage.

Charlotte wrote a letter to George(?) telling him about their secret meeting. 

A ship is following the Excelsior and possibly jamming our transmissions.

I feel like that’s it. Have I missed anything.

"That about sums it up."

11 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Right, no use waiting around here. I say we start searching the crew quarters. Arthur, do you mind if we start with your room?"

"By all means, feel free."

Arthur's room is on the second floor. The crew quarter cabin is a smaller version of the guest quarters. Arthur's room has a fairly nice desk with a computer console on it. Posted on the wall are some holo-photographs and a poster of the Excelsior. The bed is neatly made and the room looks more lived-in than the guest quarters, probably because this is Arthur's home away from home while he is on the duty roster. The bathroom is significantly smaller and there is no closet like in the guest quarters. Instead, there's a large dresser and a wardrobe on the other side of the room.

As a note, there will be two more room searches after this, so make your choices count. The final chapter will be up some time after that in which you'll try to solve the mystery.

Emily opens the dresser.

"By the way everyone, I really think George is in some deep Bantha poodoo so I think it would be worthwhile to pile into my room for a search."

On 12/29/2020 at 3:45 PM, Bob said:

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any fingerprints from Charlotte on the mysterious letter...

"Did I successfully pick up any fingerprints? Can Grace Jones analyze them?"

20 hours ago, jimmynick said:

Emily opens the dresser.

"By the way everyone, I really think George is in some deep Bantha poodoo so I think it would be worthwhile to pile into my room for a search."

"Did I successfully pick up any fingerprints? Can Grace Jones analyze them?"

The dresser is filled with various clothes as well as some personal items that Arthur has kept stored. Included is Arthur's prized collection of Space Baseball cards. There's also what appears to be a shoebox. 

Also, you did pick up some fingerprints off the paper. Your untrained eyes and also lack of equipment can't tell if the fingerprints are any different.