Sign in to follow this  
gvo25

[MOC][WIP] Mobile port crane

Hello Everybody,

I started since long with an ambitious MOC, a mobile port crane. I'll try to make it to a finished product, parts and motivation permiting. I'm not so good at inventing new models from scratch and design them well. but here goes...

It will be sort of  a combination between to models, one frome Liebherr and the other from Kone cranes.

liebherr-cc-feb-2017-article-strip.jpg

model5_003.jpg

My model has 8 sets of 2 wheels, all of them are steered and 2 sets of wheels are driven by an XL-motor. The Steering mechanism is driven by an L-motor. The outriggers are also driven by 2 L-motors.

20201129_194044.jpg

20201124_172405.jpg

In the above picture, the 4 centre bogies were driven, but I already changed the design, so only 2 are driven now, and the drive itself has been changed also. The centre outrigger mechanism and the outriggers are based on the design of IVAN MOCS concrete pump.

20201129_193707.jpg

Here two outriggers are completely finished, I'm waiting for spare parts to finish the other 2 outriggers. in this foto I already put the slewing arrangement based on the one from the 42082 RTC.

It's a fantastic start, I'd just change the wheels to black.

Hope you better success than I did when I attempted to build a similar dockside crane in Feb 2018.

Look forward to following your progress.

I ended up with a very heavy build that caused the chassis to sag and was a very complicated build but it was a valuable learning experience building it.

Edited by Doug72

Technically interesting model to build.

Comes together pretty good.

What is the function of that construction from halfbeams on outriggers legs?

12 hours ago, Jurss said:

Technically interesting model to build.

Comes together pretty good.

What is the function of that construction from halfbeams on outriggers legs?

Otherwise the LA's wouldn't extend or retract and the endpiece would just turn around. the halfbeams keep the foot in a certain direction and so the piston can go up and down

UPDATE: New fotos

The 4 outriggers are ready, apart from some touch ups. The outriggers are working fine. The wheelbase is also finished and it only needs a cosmetic finish so everything looks nice and smooth, also I'm going to add a cab for the driver of the wheelbase.

20201203_194303.jpg

20201203_194443.jpg

Next I started work on the main mast/tower.

20201203_194654.jpg

I'm untill now very pleased how it turned out, the tower also needs the final cosmetic addons (lights, ladders, etc)

next foto is a front view, I don't think I'll close everything up with panels due to the mounting of the LA

20201203_194749.jpg

Next foto is a  provisionally mating with the base to check overall proportions

20201203_195115.jpg

And a few closeups...

20201203_195518.jpg

20201203_195533.jpg

20201203_195552.jpg

Next step is the main body with the winch and the slewing mechanism. I think I'll do the main body in red...

Hope you like it thus far

UPDATE: new fotos

In this third part I more or less finished the internal structure of the main body, I got all the main functions working: 1XL for luffing, 1XL for swinging and 1 L for hoisting and lowering. I also completed the boom and reeved the wires, and installed the hook with a provisionary container lift module.

Now that there's quite some weight on the base of the crane, I noticed that the outer wheels are lifted somewhat and that the weight of the crane mainly sits on the 8 inner wheels. That makes driving with the bogies turned somewhat difficult. Driving in a straight line is going fine. Outriggers and struts work fine.

I must say that the base isn't flexing that much due to the weight of the upper structure. Also I managed to distribute the balance nicely between the boom and the body, even with the boom fully lowered.

20201215_124306.jpg

20201215_124346.jpg

20201215_124428.jpg

20201215_124653.jpg

20201215_124920.jpg

20201215_125027.jpg

Final step is finishing the body and the base with panels, finishing the boom because it's still not 100% solid and adding cosmetic extras. when everything is done I'll make a video.