Sign in to follow this  
TAFOL

[MOC] 6381 Motor Speedway Revamp

On Lowlug, the Dutch LEGO User Groep I'm a member of, someone organized a competition called 'Revamp a set'. The goal was this: Take a set during, before or after your childhood and recreate this set with modern building techniques and up-to-date parts. I ultimately chose set 6381 Motor Speedway from 1987, since I had this set when I was a child and I thought it was a good fit to revamp. I hope you all appreciate this recreation and please let me know what you think of it.

50656764336_e8321037e8_z.jpgMotor Speedvamp by TAFOL, on Flickr

You can view more pictures on my Flickr: Motor Speedvamp | Flickr

It looks great and faithful to the original set, but I'd still tile some of the studs even though the original didn't have any tiles.

1 hour ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Looks nice!

I was hoping you figured out a way to make this piece with modern lego tho ...

image.png.f8dd7be533fde84f0ea451e5744b952c.png

Unfortunately, I couldn't discover a way to brickbuild such a specific piece, so I just ordered one from Bricklink. Spent nearly €10,- on it too.

17 minutes ago, Bornin1980something said:

How are your new cars for structural rigidity; I. e. not breaking in half!

I actually copied the ones in set 75883 and swapped out the greys, blacks and greens for blues, whites and reds. The reason they're not breaking in half is because they are strengthened by this piece. For extra detail, I ordered custom stickers for on the curved slopes at the front of both vehicles.