Chrismo72

MOC: Minifig rescue helicopter

Hi fellow builders

My third MOC here on Eurobricks is a minifig scaled model of the brand new SAR helicopter in Norway. The Leonardo AW 101 is a magnificent machine!

I start off with some important information. I built this MOC based on a model i found on Lego Ideas. The creator SimonSchepp published six pictures of his grey army version of this helicopter, and I used these with the intention of making a similar model. The result is a helicopter that looks similar, but is probably built very differently. With only six pictures available It was really difficult to figure out how to build this thing. But I think it turnes out nice, and I learned a lot along the way. 

Hope you like it.

forfra.jpg

Minifigs deserve only the best, and the AW 101 is state of the art. 

nedenfra.jpg

You can hoist the patients in to the helicopter.

medisin.jpg

The crew has lots of medical equipment available for treating patients. 

bakfra.jpg

The helicopter flies fast and safe in all kinds of weather conditions.

innside.jpg

Fully decorated cabin, similar to the layout in the real helicopter. 

side.jpg

Size does matter, and this thing is big. 

cockpit.jpg

Fully decorated cockpit, with collective and cyclic. I know there should to room for 2 pilots. But to maintain playability, I could only fit in one seat. 

underhengende.jpg

The godfather of helicopters, Igor Sikorsky, deserves som credit. 

crew.jpg

Any comment or questions is much appreciated. 

Thank you for your time.

Keep building :-) 

Edited by Chrismo72
Added tags

That's amazing!! But I think the studs should be covered up, especially considering how much effort you put into making it look smooth.

Just now, JintaiZ said:

That's amazing!! But I think the studs should be covered up, especially considering how much effort you put into making it look smooth.

Thanks for your comment. Glad you liked it. I agree, the studs along the side should be covered up. They belong to bracket-pieces that was needed to offset pieces. It is A LOT of offsetting is this model, and that made it alle the more difficult to build. At lesst for a novice like myself. I tried different tiles, but it looked weird.. Maybe i will try a different approach. Thanks again.

Indeed, maybe put some tiles (with or without some warningsigns / arrows) in stead of those plats under the windows.
the Chopper looks really good, and smooth.
the Color looks good too, like the combination of the colors.

27 minutes ago, neonic said:

Indeed, maybe put some tiles (with or without some warningsigns / arrows) in stead of those plats under the windows.
the Chopper looks really good, and smooth.
the Color looks good too, like the combination of the colors.

Thanks for your suggestions, that might work nicely. I will try to use some arrows, or maybe some customs stickers. The colors are inspired by the actual helicopter. 

real.jpg

Ah, an excellent whirlybird. 

I am going to disagree about the studs, I like a LEGO MOC that still has some signs of being LEGO, total smoothness is for a model kit with glue :wink: 

All besides, it is a very good MOC of an impressive aircraft :thumbup:

Great work! I'm a nurse, and that Cardiac Monitor tile is incredibly accurate! And better still, shows a stable patient.

18 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

Ah, an excellent whirlybird. 

I am going to disagree about the studs, I like a LEGO MOC that still has some signs of being LEGO, total smoothness is for a model kit with glue :wink: 

All besides, it is a very good MOC of an impressive aircraft :thumbup:

Thanks, Peppermint. I guess I will have to try out different solutions to figure out what is best. Thats the good thing about lego. Nothing is really wrong, just a matter of taste. Thats part of why I love lego. 

5 minutes ago, Htrag said:

Great work! I'm a nurse, and that Cardiac Monitor tile is incredibly accurate! And better still, shows a stable patient.

That's good to hear. The medical crew in this helicopters are experts on plastic surgery :-)  

That is one nice helicopter! I wish lego would make one like it instead of what we normally get as helicopters :P

I agree with Peppermint_M, I like the studs too. In my own MOC's I sometimes even change tiles to plates just to add studs. I do not think this build has any "ugly" studs, I like it :)

21 hours ago, Memo5378 said:

Any chance you would make your instructions available?

Hi. I haven´t made any instructions. The model is put together digitally in stud.io. But i am going to build it for real, and maybe I will make instructions when I'm building.

20 hours ago, Lira_Bricks said:

That is one nice helicopter! I wish lego would make one like it instead of what we normally get as helicopters :P

I agree with Peppermint_M, I like the studs too. In my own MOC's I sometimes even change tiles to plates just to add studs. I do not think this build has any "ugly" studs, I like it :)

Thanks for your kind words. It would be nice if Lego releases an 18+ helicopter. I appreciate your comments about studs. I think i will keep the visible studs in my model. After all, its Lego :-)

Wow great build - I could recgonize it right away, before reading the description! We have the same type in Denmark, although ours are all military-green but they are also used for rescue operations and they ofte pass our house on the way to the hospital.  I also like the studs below the windows, to me it makes it more Lego-ish with a few studs than total smooth. 

@Chrismo72 - If you wanted to leave some studs, then I think the ones on the side looks pretty good for now. I'd just tile the front one.

On 11/29/2020 at 7:00 PM, jpx said:

Wow great build - I could recgonize it right away, before reading the description! We have the same type in Denmark, although ours are all military-green but they are also used for rescue operations and they ofte pass our house on the way to the hospital.  I also like the studs below the windows, to me it makes it more Lego-ish with a few studs than total smooth. 

Thanks for your feedback. In Norway we have waited long for this helicopter to arrive, and in the mean time many of us have been checking out the danish versions on youtube :-)

On 11/29/2020 at 7:59 PM, Legocitycustoms said:

If this was a set I would buy it.

Me too, actually :-)

On 11/29/2020 at 9:08 PM, JintaiZ said:

@Chrismo72 - If you wanted to leave some studs, then I think the ones on the side looks pretty good for now. I'd just tile the front one.

Thanks for your comment. I tried to get rid of the front studs, but couldn't find different parts and at the same time maintain the angles I wanted. 

On 11/29/2020 at 12:11 PM, Chrismo72 said:

Hi. I haven´t made any instructions. The model is put together digitally in stud.io. But i am going to build it for real, and maybe I will make instructions when I'm building.

Thanks for your kind words. It would be nice if Lego releases an 18+ helicopter. I appreciate your comments about studs. I think i will keep the visible studs in my model. After all, its Lego :-)

So, did you build it for real?

Actually no, but im ordering pieces on bricklink these days. So hopefully soon, it will be finished. Havent forgotten about it, just been busy.

Would you be willing to share your .io file? Do not fear, I'm not about to sell it to some chinese brick copy machine.