John Cromwell

Is it Lawful? (Question)

Being rather new here, I have a question that I thought was the proper thing to ask before going ahead and posting what I planned to.

So, I have made my own Lego pirate ship MOC heavily influenced by this design originally by @Sebeus I, I mean HEAVILY influenced by his design. My question is: can I post my ship on here with credit to him or is that considered stealing and pirating since the ships are very similar? (no pun intended)

Thanks!

I don't see anything wrong with this.

On the contrary, being inspired by another person's design, being influenced by it and even modifying it to your liking is something very human and natural.

Hi @John Cromwell

Welcome on our Pirate Forum !

Since your ship is different from the original (it should be a little bit different though, not a total copy with just a change of the minifigs) from @Sebeus I (:pir-huzzah2: Hi Sebeus ! BTW :pir-grin: ) And if you give him credit for the influence (even if it's a big influence) I don't see any problem.

I am sure Sebeus would be glad to be quoted as an inspiration for a ship design.

6 hours ago, John Cromwell said:

So, I have made my own Lego pirate ship MOC heavily influenced by this design originally by @Sebeus I, I mean HEAVILY influenced by his design. My question is: can I post my ship on here with credit to him or is that considered stealing and pirating since the ships are very similar?

As long as you acknowledge the original builder that's fine :pir-thumb:

It would be fine even if you made the exact same ship and credited the author, just wouldn't make sense to post it :pir_laugh2:

Hello, saw my name popping up :pir-classic:.

By all means, go ahead, although I must say that that ship is an oldie, my ship-building skills and attention to realism have evolved over time. I see there's a lot of room for improvement looking back at it :pir-grin:.

13 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

Hello, saw my name popping up :pir-classic:.

By all means, go ahead, although I must say that that ship is an oldie, my ship-building skills and attention to realism have evolved over time. I see there's a lot of room for improvement looking back at it :pir-grin:.

Now it is all clear !

Thanks mate to have answered ! :thumbup:

@John Cromwell : here is the final answer ! You can post it !

14 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

Thanks man! I am a big fan of your ships, especially the older ones you did, since those are more 'Lego-esque' i.e. something Lego could have built for their Pirates line. I will post it as soon as possible!

I just want to chime in here and applaud your concern. I missed the thread when it was new, but the main point has been well covered by higher authorities than me. What impresses me is the level of consideration you've given to the idea of "fair credit" and the sensibilities of the original builder. It's a laudable attitude, I see too often abandoned or never considered at all, in the Lego enthusiasts community. Indeed the prevailing attitude seems to be that sharing one's work is tantamount to surrendering it to public domain. To be sure, those of us who do share, understand and even encourage, others to take our work and inspirational, even informative. It is true that in our chosen medium there really are only so many combinations, and there is little harm in counting studs as to recreate another's design for your own purposes. In a community where names are know and designs are distinct, however, it is nothing less than respectful to give credit, where credit is due. Kudos to you, good sir, and welcome aboard!

Dave :pir-huzzah2:

4 hours ago, kurigan said:

I just want to chime in here and applaud your concern. I missed the thread when it was new, but the main point has been well covered by higher authorities than me. What impresses me is the level of consideration you've given to the idea of "fair credit" and the sensibilities of the original builder. It's a laudable attitude, I see too often abandoned or never considered at all, in the Lego enthusiasts community. Indeed the prevailing attitude seems to be that sharing one's work is tantamount to surrendering it to public domain. To be sure, those of us who do share, understand and even encourage, others to take our work and inspirational, even informative. It is true that in our chosen medium there really are only so many combinations, and there is little harm in counting studs as to recreate another's design for your own purposes. In a community where names are know and designs are distinct, however, it is nothing less than respectful to give credit, where credit is due. Kudos to you, good sir, and welcome aboard!

Thanks! I was raised right and taught that others need their due respect. It is quite sad to see the absence of that today... 

Lucas:pir-huzzah2: