Rick

10278 Police Station

Woah, I think this may be my favorite one since Downtown Diner! I'm really glad they went with multiple buildings - having two shorter buildings next to the main one gives the station a much taller and imposing allure. It's quite big compared to recent modulars, too! Even if it is not a corner building, having the billboard on one side and some greenery on the other prevents the sides of the police station from looking too bland. The lavender on the doughnut shop is a welcome addition to the colour palette of the street, too! Overall, very happy with this set.

I got some VIP points saved after this Black Friday, so even if it's 270CAD, hopefully it'll be a day one purchase for me.

34 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Only one problem with pairing the car with it as a GWP

Another problem with that would be that I must buy the modular on day one to get the GWP and I prefer to wait to get it cheaper later in another shop, however that do not seem likely next year :wacko:

This set looks great I will have to pick it up. I thought sweets were ban in Lego modular city  haha. Also no wonder he escaped they didn’t take any of his tools away.

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

Another problem with that would be that I must buy the modular on day one to get the GWP and I prefer to wait to get it cheaper later in another shop, however that do not seem likely next year :wacko:

Is it confirmed that the gwp will come out together with the modular on  1st January? Haven't seen any official info on that.

I actually really liked the new 18+ black boxes LEGO has started using, except I don't like ot for the modular line. An all white box would have looked better.

16 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Yep after its on shelves. So wait until january :)

This is just shop you see... Donuts are baked in nearby bakery on AS ;)

Ahh. How could i forget.:laugh:

15 hours ago, BaalTheBuilder said:

When I saw the newspaper stand, then the printed typewriter and the pin board, I realized...this building would make a perfect newspaper headquarters!

love this idea.

11 hours ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

The sad thing is, the Police Station itself looks good, as does the front of the Donut Shop. If they had just concentrated on those two, this would be a great set. But it all get's ruined with how they tried to squeeze in three facades

Good post! I agree with a lot of your thoughts / opinions which were expressed respectfully. 

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a future single purpose Modular building.

46 minutes ago, Kallego said:

Is it confirmed that the gwp will come out together with the modular on  1st January? Haven't seen any official info on that.

Not confirmed yet, but the car was intended to be with a modular.

I really don't like this at all. The worst modular building in the series for me (with the possible exception of Market Street, if included). Really hope Jamie B returns to designing them next year as I didn't buy the previous two either, which is a shame as I always used to get the modular building.

On 11/27/2020 at 10:32 PM, Aanchir said:

Buildings that narrow might not be particularly common in real life, but they do exist, especially in historic cities! For example, these two articles mention a few examples in NYC:
https://untappedcities.com/2013/08/15/5-of-manhattan-narrowest-buildings/
https://untappedcities.com/2012/11/15/the-skinny-shops-of-columbus-avenue/

I would upvote the above, if I could.

I'm adding an European narrow building to this list. In Valencia,Spain. https://travelwithintent.com/2020/02/16/narrowest-building-in-europe/ https://secretvalencia.com/en/the-narrowest-building-of-europe-in-valencia/

Or maybe a slightly wider in Amsterdam. https://www.hetkleinstehuis.nl/en/content/11-the-smallest-house

As I see it, the police station, or whatever it was before it was a police station, expanded to the right and took over the small building next to it Or maybe the house right to it was on sale and the police station bought it and expanded.

3 hours ago, Shiva said:

I'm adding an European narrow building to this list. In Valencia,Spain. https://travelwithintent.com/2020/02/16/narrowest-building-in-europe/ https://secretvalencia.com/en/the-narrowest-building-of-europe-in-valencia/

Or maybe a slightly wider in Amsterdam. https://www.hetkleinstehuis.nl/en/content/11-the-smallest-house

As I see it, the police station, or whatever it was before it was a police station, expanded to the right and took over the small building next to it Or maybe the house right to it was on sale and the police station bought it and expanded.

Excellent examples. Its known as "infill" in architecture. Filling in a narrow or less than 'ideal' land plot between two existing buildings or as in some of your examples making two buildings into one by removal of walls but keeping the exterior facade.

Well I am impressed.  I think this will likely become my second favorite straight (non-corner) modular after Detective's Office.  I love the illusion buildings in both DO and the new Police Station.  They just make the buildings come to life and feel like there is an actual city there.  Of course the Downtown Metro is still to this day my favorite MOC modular for that very reason.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:15 AM, Blazej_Holen said:

Every decoratef piece in the set is printed. Designer said that and Lego odficial description confirms it as well :)

Thanks for the info!

Thats great news!

Greetings!

9 hours ago, Kallego said:

No, but is seems likely :classic:

8 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

Really hope Jamie B returns to designing them next year

Do not count on it, from what I have heard he is so busy now with other stuff that he do not have time to design/build anything himself :shrug_oh_well:

First day purchase for me. For someone like me who don´t have Detective´s Office, this will be something like "Police Directorate" and regular police station (from City theme) will still have it´s own place. :wub:

10 hours ago, Shiva said:

Narrow buildings are a great way to make modulars different. That said, the green one here is pretty bad. I think that windows are the best way of opening up small spaces. Bilbao has a ton of narrow buildings solved with windows https://www.flickr.com/photos/arnimschulz/albums/72157603275637378. I took them as inspiration for a six-wide, the same width as Lego's, but in my humble opinion, made it work a lot better: 

With that I mean:

1. It's definitely not unrealistic.

2. I think that the green building is the weakest part of the whole model and could've been done better.

The more I look at it , the more I like it, but Barracuda Bay and Chinese New Year are higher priority for me when it comes to larger sets to get, so I'll probably just end up getting  some 3-in-1 / City sets instead of this later.

Edited by TeriXeri

24 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

The more I look at it , the more I like it, but Barracuda Bay and Chinese New Year are higher priority for me when it comes to larger sets to get, so I'll probably just end up getting  some 3-in-1 / City sets instead of this later.

Lucky that I already purchased BB (it was day one). Now the list contains:

1) Police station (January)

2) Chinese New Year set - Garden (January)

3) NC Gardens - depending on how they look (March)

4) HP add ons to the Diagon Alley (Summer 2021)

Hope that there wont be any other big sets in 1st half of the year (honestly I hope for the rest of the year, since I plan to move and need to save some extra money for new home :D)

1 hour ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Lucky that I already purchased BB (it was day one). Now the list contains:

1) Police station (January)

2) Chinese New Year set - Garden (January)

3) NC Gardens - depending on how they look (March)

4) HP add ons to the Diagon Alley (Summer 2021)

Hope that there wont be any other big sets in 1st half of the year (honestly I hope for the rest of the year, since I plan to move and need to save some extra money for new home :D)

Off topic: there will be diagon alley extensions next year? confirmed? I thought only one Gringots Bank extension? :)

Edited by DimiNi

28 minutes ago, DimiNi said:

Off topic: there will be diagon alley extensions next year? confirmed? I thought only one Gringots Bank extension? :)

As far as I know there are 2 rumored sets. Gringots and some shops (1-2). It was an intense discussion on HP forum few weeks ago...

I think it would be great if they released cars and other vehicles as separate sets to go alongside the modular buildings. 

E.g.:

- Police car

- Normal cars from the 50s-60s era

- Buses

- Taxis

23 minutes ago, Bainter-ban said:

I think it would be great if they released cars and other vehicles as separate sets to go alongside the modular buildings. 

E.g.:

- Police car

- Normal cars from the 50s-60s era

- Buses

- Taxis

Rumors say that there is a taxi coming with the set number 40468. And a tuktuk 40469.

Let's see if they fit scalewise...

Its also not clear if they gwps, seasonal sets or polybags. It's hard to tell by set number...

I wonder if Lego doesn't want to market a modular post office due to their partnership with FedEx?  Companies can be fussy about perceived competitors.

Anyway, one thing I like about this relative to the bookshop is how modular it is, in terms of expansion.  If you want a bigger building, you can buy a 2nd set and the extra floors incorporate naturally into the facade.

42 minutes ago, CopperTablet said:

I wonder if Lego doesn't want to market a modular post office due to their partnership with FedEx?  Companies can be fussy about perceived competitors.

Doubt it.  This is just a post office, no modular has ever had any branding in it at all.

On a different note, I find the use of 1x2 jumper plates on the front facade of the police station really interesting.