Rick

10278 Police Station

On 12/6/2020 at 3:17 PM, Gorki247 said:

Or maybe time for a new GWP that fits with this release?

I'm dreaming of the vintage car from the ideas contest driven by the laundry lady chased by a police car all in one gwp ;-)

I know I won't happen, but I like the idea...

2 hours ago, CopperTablet said:

The Modular line was fine in the days of Green Grocer when there wasn't the overtly silly element

Yeah back in those days the modular buildings had to sprint up Gangkhar Puensum both ways before being approved wearing nothing but massive unkempt sprawling macho beards with overweight baby woolly mammoths tied to their backs and no silly stories! Those were real modular buildings!

On 11/27/2020 at 8:40 AM, JintaiZ said:

I have very little complaints about the set, but if I were to nitpick... I wish all parts would have been printed.

They are. Check out the designer vid.

Am I the only one who noticed the DARK BLUISH-GRAY BASEPLATE?!? The excitement is real. Dark Bluish-Gray 32x32s have (nearly) only appeared in incredibly expensive sets; Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters, Ninjago City, Ninjago City Docks. You can also get one in Space Police Central, but I'm not a fan of the set. I'm just happy we got one in Dark Bluish-Gray. 

Stay safe,

caiman0637

50 minutes ago, caiman0637 said:

Dark Bluish-Gray 32x32s have (nearly) only appeared in incredibly expensive sets; Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters, Ninjago City, Ninjago City Docks. You can also get one in Space Police Central, but I'm not a fan of the set. I'm just happy we got one in Dark Bluish-Gray.

It's also in this not so expensive set: 40198: LEGO Ludo Game or you can order them from bricks and pieces for around $8.

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

.... or you can order them from bricks and pieces for around $8.

:D :D :D 

LOL you've kill it :D :D :D

Edited by Blazej_Holen

It's also in this not so expensive set: 40198: LEGO Ludo Game or you can order them from bricks and pieces for around $8.

Bricklink says that it's bright green. Might want to check your facts on that one.

Stay safe, 

caiman0637

Just now, Blazej_Holen said:

:D :D :D 

LOL you've kill it :D :D :D

Good point. I'm just referring to sets, though. 

Stay safe,

caiman0637

2 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

Dark Bluish-Gray 32x32s have (nearly) only appeared in incredibly expensive sets; Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters, Ninjago City, Ninjago City Docks. You can also get one in Space Police Central, but I'm not a fan of the set. I'm just happy we got one in Dark Bluish-Gray. 

Its seems subjective what "incredibly expensive" means. For me NC sets are not "incredibly expensive" quite on the opposite. I mean back in the day when they were available in retail, now on secondary market, they are slowly becoming quite expensive...not incredibly yet but quite.. :D

Just now, caiman0637 said:

Bricklink says that it's bright green. Might want to check your facts on that one.

But its DBG nonetheless :)

My bad. Ignore my other comment. I just mistook a 16x16 plate in bright green for that. XD You're right, I missed that one.

It also appears in the Lunar Command game. 

56573_P1050914.jpg

I love this picture from brickset's review...

Other than being tall, I think it fits pretty well with other modulars.

Given that both this set and the Corner Garage were a higher price and larger size than other "standard" Modular Buildings (i.e. the ones that aren't special-edition anniversary sets like Town Hall and Assembly Square, and tend to cost about the same as they always have aside from occasional adjustments for inflation), I'm beginning to think that LEGO may now be following an alternating pattern between "standard" buildings in even-numbered years and "deluxe" buildings in odd-numbered years. I suppose we'll just have to watch over the next couple of years to see if they continue following that same pattern.

On 12/7/2020 at 2:47 PM, Kallego said:

I'm dreaming of the vintage car from the ideas contest driven by the laundry lady chased by a police car all in one gwp ;-)

I know I won't happen, but I like the idea...

That would've been pretty cool. A picture of the car has surfaced on Brickset and it looks really good nonetheless. There's no word on whether it'll be the GWP with this set but it seems likely. 

40448-1.jpg?202012110629

Edited by Brick387

9 hours ago, Brick387 said:

A picture of the car has surfaced on Brickset and it looks really good nonetheless. There's no word on whether it'll be the GWP with this set but it seems likely. 

I wonder since it has Ideas on it that it will not be a modular GWP, but rather a Ideas one or a generic one:shrug_oh_well: However still think the modular is most likely, the January promos should pop up soon right?

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I wonder since it has Ideas on it that it will not be a modular GWP, but rather a Ideas one or a generic one:shrug_oh_well: However still think the modular is most likely, the January promos should pop up soon right?

I hope that it's a generic GWP and not tied to the police station. I expect the police station will sell out really quickly, and it would be really frustrating to not be able to get that beautiful car.

11 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I believe it was an Ideas contest(?) so maybe that’s the reason for the branding. 

On 12/11/2020 at 12:50 PM, Aanchir said:

Given that both this set and the Corner Garage were a higher price and larger size than other "standard" Modular Buildings (i.e. the ones that aren't special-edition anniversary sets like Town Hall and Assembly Square, and tend to cost about the same as they always have aside from occasional adjustments for inflation), I'm beginning to think that LEGO may now be following an alternating pattern between "standard" buildings in even-numbered years and "deluxe" buildings in odd-numbered years. I suppose we'll just have to watch over the next couple of years to see if they continue following that same pattern.

Personally, I'm of the impression they will all be trending towards the $199 price point for the next few years, due to the decreased purchasing power of the US dollar and a desire to keep the buildings the same size.

11 minutes ago, CopperTablet said:

Personally, I'm of the impression they will all be trending towards the $199 price point for the next few years, due to the decreased purchasing power of the US dollar and a desire to keep the buildings the same size. 

I mean, the price of "standard" sized buildings is definitely already approaching that point. We've already seen it increase steadily from $140 in 2007 to $180 in 2019.

However, given that the Corner Garage was both larger and higher-priced than the buildings before and after it, and the Police Station is both larger and higher priced than the building before it, I actually feel like that's a strong sign that LEGO is making a purposeful decision NOT to keep all their buildings the same size — unlike the first ten years of the series, in which the price only increased sharply above the rate of inflation for the two "premium" buildings which celebrated the series' 5th and 10tth anniversaries.

I could be entirely wrong, of course! Perhaps LEGO has a totally different reason for this latest price increase (like to coincide the 18+ age recommendation and premium design), andn that it WILL be the new standard for other Modular Buildings going forward. That's part of why I'm so eager to see whether that pattern of "standard building, premium building, standard building, premium building" continues in future years.