Rick

10278 Police Station

1 hour ago, MT480 said:

I can't wait to find out more about the little crack outside of the building that is connected (I assume) to the jail cell.  If you look on the main floor of the police station, there appears to be stairs leading to a lower level. I wonder if they are all connected?

The stairs lead to the back door.  The crack is near the underfloor escape tunnel that the thief is digging so I am hopeful the back wall will be able to slide out in the area of the crack to allow for a safe getaway.

Narrow buildings FTW. They really help make a street look realistic.

That said: I agree with the posters who suggested this generic-looking municipal set could be MODded. Get two, build the main building bigger and give it windows, and expand the little side buildings to be separate 16W structures.

I don't collect these - they're just too expensive - but I do spend a lot of time admiring them. And, I have to say, I feel like this one is kind of a miss. I think they would have been better off with something like this:

s-l300.jpg

You know - very LA City Hall-like.

The lack of so much as a parking space for a police car is also jarring.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

I do collect these and don't think the version above holds a candle to the Lego set.  Additionally, I would view a parking spot for a police car to be a waste of valuable space.  A police car could always be positioned filling up with gas or in for repairs at the corner garage if one really needs to have a police car nearby rather than out on patrol protecting and serving.

I for one, am happy the set did not include a car because I feel it would be a waste of build. I do however think some form of a garage would have felt appropriate. Nonetheless I am satisfied with the final product and appreciate the approach they took. However I wish the two side builds, the pink and green builds, were wider. Even if it came at the cost of the set. The green building looks too thin to even be a building and is kind of an eyesore for me. The assembly square is sort of a good example of how to do multiple buildings, but without taking such a drastic approach even widening the width of each building by 3 studs would do wonders. I would widen the green building some more and include a staircase as well. Perhaps it would cost more but since the release of the Ghost Busters Firehouse I have come to expect or hope for Lego buildings with staircases inside. These criticisms may have raised the price of the final product but I cannot say I would care. I am honestly upset by the side builds. Alternatively, I am usually opposed to modifying modular buildings but for the first time ever I actually feel compelled to customize this build to widen the green building. Otherwise I absolutely love the architecture and color scheme of the set and can’t wait to own it! This line is the best! Lego releasing modular buildings is the coolest thing they’ve done this past decade.

8 hours ago, cosmic said:

I for one, am happy the set did not include a car because I feel it would be a waste of build. I do however think some form of a garage would have felt appropriate. Nonetheless I am satisfied with the final product and appreciate the approach they took. However I wish the two side builds, the pink and green builds, were wider. Even if it came at the cost of the set. The green building looks too thin to even be a building and is kind of an eyesore for me. The assembly square is sort of a good example of how to do multiple buildings, but without taking such a drastic approach even widening the width of each building by 3 studs would do wonders. I would widen the green building some more and include a staircase as well. Perhaps it would cost more but since the release of the Ghost Busters Firehouse I have come to expect or hope for Lego buildings with staircases inside. These criticisms may have raised the price of the final product but I cannot say I would care. I am honestly upset by the side builds. Alternatively, I am usually opposed to modifying modular buildings but for the first time ever I actually feel compelled to customize this build to widen the green building. Otherwise I absolutely love the architecture and color scheme of the set and can’t wait to own it! This line is the best! Lego releasing modular buildings is the coolest thing they’ve done this past decade.

Same with me. I will remove the green building and widen the purple bakery to 14 studs

20 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I don't collect these - they're just too expensive - but I do spend a lot of time admiring them. And, I have to say, I feel like this one is kind of a miss. I think they would have been better off with something like this:

s-l300.jpg

I much prefer the LEGO one to that.

20 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Well, I'm not very sure how well that will sell... since people will probably say it doesn't fit with other modulars.

Edited by JintaiZ

1 hour ago, street87 said:

The designers video is out.

I had quite a chuckle at Chris slowing sliding the donuts over to him. 

I somehow never recognized the evidence locker in the previous pics - does anyone know all the Easter eggs that are included in it that they mentioned?

Designer video unfortunately confirms crack in rear wall is a dead end although it is certainly a "relief" that two restrooms are available.

I don't which current TV show has an Easter egg in the set either.

The other Easter eggs have to do with objects in evidence locker, some of which relate to other modulars and some of which do not.  I think the two cookies are a reference to Detective's Office and that the cap may be a reference to the cap worn by one of Minifigures in the Detective's Office as well (the one I always assumed was the cookie smuggler).  I think red jewel is reference to Re-Gou ruby.  I don't know what frying pan and two yellow containers are references to.

Edited by Friscorays

Not gonna lie, without any other context I would've assumed the yellow containers were urine samples! :snicker: But on second thought I sort of doubt that would be a realistic assumption for this set's 1940s-ish time period. The main thing that Transparent Yellow 1x1 bricks tend to be used for in other themes is lightbulbs or lanterns, and the only time I've seen them with a gray or white cap in a set is as a Gatorade-type sports drink in Heartlake Skate Park.

The ruby could be a reference to any number of sets or themes, though the Re-Gou ruby is definitely the most nostalgic possibility, and could also serve as a very topical reference to this year's Haunted House set. Likewise, while the cap is pretty common in its own right, one particularly noteworthy LEGO criminal it's connected with is The Brickster from the LEGO Island video games and the ill-fated LEGO Island Xtreme Stunts theme from 2002.

On 11/30/2020 at 3:17 AM, Vindicare said:

I would say no. They’re just weird when it comes to post offices it seems. The last one we got was the WV one over a decade ago I believe.  We did get a mail plane....this year(last?), but that’s about it lately. 

What does WV refer to?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realised it's Winter Village. I did not know that there was a WV Post Office back in 2011. :o

I thought the last Post Office was made back in the 80s.

Edited by Salix

3 hours ago, Salix said:

What does WV refer to?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realised it's Winter Village. I did not know that there was a WV Post Office back in 2011. :o

I thought the last Post Office was made back in the 80s.

There was also a medieval-fantasy type post office in The Secret Market Place from LEGO Elves, and a more modern post office as one of the alternate builds of Toy and Grocery Shop from LEGO Creator. But you're right that there haven't been any in Town or City since the 80s, which is a bit of a shame.

On the plus side, this year's City lineup includes a house for the first (and only) time since 2010, so that seems like a good sign that the designers are still open to releasing sets based on stuff that's otherwise been conspicuously absent in recent years.

Did I hear correctly in the designer video that the lady in the billboard is the owner of the laundry shop? If she is, how come we didn't get her in the BB or was she the thief?

I believe that I have solved the case and it involves several modulars. This goes all the way back to the detective office and the smuggling of the candy and cookies and there is a police woman in that set who is probably from the police station investigating the smuggling. And where are the cookies coming from , the guy in the news paper stand from the police station set who passes it on to the flower cart seller who then takes it to the barber shop near the detective office and then the people in the pool room pay for the cookies at the laundry mat near the brick bank. The book shop comes into play because the blue bird in the police station is bringing one of the donuts that fell off the pocket of the news paper seller back to the other bird in the nest which was probably seen by one of the police officers following the clues.

2 hours ago, kermit said:

I believe that I have solved the case and it involves several modulars. This goes all the way back to the detective office and the smuggling of the candy and cookies and there is a police woman in that set who is probably from the police station investigating the smuggling. And where are the cookies coming from , the guy in the news paper stand from the police station set who passes it on to the flower cart seller who then takes it to the barber shop near the detective office and then the people in the pool room pay for the cookies at the laundry mat near the brick bank. The book shop comes into play because the blue bird in the police station is bringing one of the donuts that fell off the pocket of the news paper seller back to the other bird in the nest which was probably seen by one of the police officers following the clues.

you might be right but the story in the DO is that cookies are forbidden. so the only way to combine al the modulars is if there is a huge tax on cookies. and there is a big black market for cookies.
(it is not exactly the prohibition story the DO should have, but it fits)

the laundrymat is there to laundry the money that is made by the cookie scheme.

After watching the designer video, I can’t wait! Best part is I get to buy this strictly with points, so talk about win win. 

Now it’s time to buy more police vehicles and officers to populate my city even more and crack down on any mega block rioters. ?

On 12/4/2020 at 4:21 PM, BrickFit26 said:

Did I hear correctly in the designer video that the lady in the billboard is the owner of the laundry shop? If she is, how come we didn't get her in the BB or was she the thief?

I don’t think she is the thief that comes with the BB.

Maybe will get here next year

Ironically, the Modular developers are not so adept at worldbuilding, at least in the classic lore sense.    The cookie thing is overtly dumb and is probably worse than no lore at all.  We can see from the bakeries in Assembly Square and the donut shop that cookies are not forbidden.

Edited by CopperTablet

7 minutes ago, CopperTablet said:

Ironically, the Modular developers are not so adept at worldbuilding, at least in the classic lore sense.    The cookie thing is overtly dumb and is probably worse than no lore at all.  We can see from the bakeries in Assembly Square and the donut shop that cookies are not forbidden.

Two years is a long enough time to make cookies legal. I thought, and still do, think the cookie smuggling is a fun addition to the set. I don’t act it out or anything, but having that story known & the features put into the set made the build a bit more enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, CopperTablet said:

Besides being sort of a "kid-friendly" equivalent of the prohibition laws of the 1940s, the cookie rule also seems to be sort of an inside reference to the ban on sugary snacks or beverages at LEGO headquarters in Billund. And at least when I visited in 2015, that ban had some pretty conspicuous loopholes, most notably allowing cake for celebratory purposes.

Because of this, employees at LEGO HQ were apparently known to "celebrate" all sorts of occasions by bringing in cake for all of their co-workers. Given who is in charge of enforcing this law in the Modular Building sets (and the well-trod cliche about police officers which this particular set references), it wouldn't be surprising to learn that this neighborhood has a similar exemption for donuts!

And anyway, there's a certain silliness inherent to LEGO which the Modular Buildings have embraced for years now. For instance, all the modular buildings up until a couple years ago had characters with cartoonish smiley faces. The back of the Fire Brigade box shows firefighters responding to the classic "cat stuck in a tree" scenario. The Grand Emporium, of course, included an underwear-clad minifig to put behind the dressing room curtain.The bakery in Assembly Square is deliberately placed right downstairs from a dentist's office, with the back of the box showing the photographer going straight from buying bunches of baked goods in one picture to getting cavities drilled in another. Puns and abound throughout the series, from the movie titles in the Palace Cinema set to the literal "money laundering" in the Brick Bank set. And even if the crimes portrayed in sets like the Police Station or Detective's Office were more realistic ones, the perpetrators would still be committing them right under the noses of the people investigating them!

So I don't think this speaks to any lack of "adeptness" at worldbuilding on the part of the designers — just Jamie and his colleagues having a particularly goofy sense of humor which they enjoy working into the Modular Buildings they design.

Edited by Aanchir

15 hours ago, SoggyBottom17 said:

I don’t think she is the thief that comes with the BB.

Maybe will get here next year

Or maybe time for a new GWP that fits with this release?

The Modular line was fine in the days of Green Grocer when there wasn't the overtly silly element, although I wasn't aware of the internal ban at TLG on cookies.