Rick

10278 Police Station

13 hours ago, Vindicare said:

First things first...how are we going to abbreviate this? PS is already taken. 

13 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

"PH" for "Precinct House"? Can be used to mean "Police Headquarters" too.

I think "PP" for Police Precinct or "PD" for Police Department / Police & Donut Shop would be good ideas :D.

I like this modular very much. When I first saw the front I was kind of hoping for a garage / parking spot for a police vehicle in the back.

it's great to finally have a police station for Afols, after so many decades :sweet: love it! gotta have it! :blush: i do think it's a shame though, not to have a tiled floor on the first floor

I like it, but I don't love it. I would have preferred if the rumor regarding an Italian style building had been true, instead of a police station. But eh, many fans have been asking for it for years, and I'll concede that it's a good fit and sufficiently different from what we already have.

While many think it's the weakest part of the new set, I actually like the very small buildings on each side. It makes for something fresh that we haven't seen before in the line, and adds some variation and colour to the whole thing. I'm a fan of that part.

The minifigures, however, are quite dull and lackluster. Nothing really unique. Sure, there's a new police torso - but it's not like we aren't swimming in police torso variations already... I look towards the Downtown Diner as a shining minifigure example, where we got two completely new and unique prints.

Also a bit disappointed that there's only 1 animal, which is a 100 % repeat from the last modular.

That said, I overall like the style of the building and will get it for sure.

6 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Where? Yu mean in the attic of the snad green building (third floor)?

yes, we can see it on the picture of the back through the window of the beige building, with what looks like black glass for the train door piece

Edited by mapimi

13 minutes ago, marv said:

I think "PP" for Police Precinct or "PD" for Police Department / Police & Donut Shop would be good ideas :D.

I like this modular very much. When I first saw the front I was kind of hoping for a garage / parking spot for a police vehicle in the back.

Plice Precinct is not accurate outside US. So PD is more suitable. (Police Department / Police and Donuts) :)

12 minutes ago, mapimi said:

yes, we can see it on the picture of the back through the window of the beige building, with what looks like black glass for the train door piece

Oh i see it now. Thanks. Interesting how you can get your hand inside? The roof doesnt seems to be removable since that 4x6 black plate is attached directly to the roof slopes (on that plate there are 1x4 black tiles...) Maybe the side is removable? Hmmmm... Cant wait for review.

15 minutes ago, Hive said:

I like it, but I don't love it. I would have preferred if the rumor regarding an Italian style building had been true, instead of a police station. But eh, many fans have been asking for it for years, and I'll concede that it's a good fit and sufficiently different from what we already have.

While many think it's the weakest part of the new set, I actually like the very small buildings on each side. It makes for something fresh that we haven't seen before in the line, and adds some variation and colour to the whole thing. I'm a fan of that part.

The minifigures, however, are quite dull and lackluster. Nothing really unique. Sure, there's a new police torso - but it's not like we aren't swimming in police torso variations already... I look towards the Downtown Diner as a shining minifigure example, where we got two completely new and unique prints.

Also a bit disappointed that there's only 1 animal, which is a 100 % repeat from the last modular.

That said, I overall like the style of the building and will get it for sure.

Precisely, those two side buildings are charming and adds a lot to the modular street. And it will fits perfectly next to Bookshop or Parisian Restaurant or even Pet Shop. I am really thankful for Police, since there were none, and for long time there wasn't any administrative / governmental building (we have only Firefighters Department and Town Hall). There could be more figs for sure, but I don't mind it since I have plenty of citizens in my town, mainly from CMF series and People Packs (including some police officers). What I miss is classic style Police car, similar to the one in Arkham Asylum set from Batman Movie (I don't have it sadly).  

Regarding animals - yes this deserves at least a Police dog, but then there should be a cage or dog house included (which will take some parts and space). So for me its understandable, but more birds would be nice, perhaps also grey ones to represent pidgeons :)

Well, a Police Station should've been a slam-dunk for Lego.

Unfortunately, it is not.

But it does has some redeeming features, so let's get into those first:

• 180€ for almost 3000 pieces is propably the best value for money we've gotten in the modular line in a long time, if not ever. Heck, Town Hall was 180€, had fewer pieces and came out like ten years ago! And this set has some real bulk, with the Police Station portion being the highest structure (not counting spires and such) since Town Hall.
  • It also checks some boxes again that they missed in some of the last installments: The entire ground floor is tiled, and the bulk of the building mostly extends beyond the technic brick connection points.
  • Stairs seem to be constructed similar to what I did in my Bakery & Toy Store, which gives them a smooth appearnce, too.
  • General Detail level is ok, too. Escape tunnel from the prison cell is cool.

But then things go wrong:

• The first point is obvious: After getting it right for four sets in a row, they returned to the idiotic idea of a modular needing 'multiple' facades that DO NOT MATCH UP with how the insides are structured . I really had hoped that they had abandoned that notion after Brick Bank. I mean, the dividing wall between the donut shop and the Police station randomly moves inward two bricks half of the way, wtf?
  • The sand green addition is as unnecessary as a fifth wheel on a car, and looks really out of place even in the best pictures. It's just too narrow to have any kind of presence. But at least it's really just an addition to the Police Station. Still, they could've dropped that and just made the donut shop wider. Then we wouldn't have to deal with that nonsensical dividing wall, either.
  • Speaking of that nonsensical dividing wall: Yet another thing I had hoped we would never have to see again is the dividing walls not being the full height of the respective floors. I mean, yeah, who wouldn't want to live in an apartment next to a Police Station with the topmost metre of wall just missing, so you can hear anything that goes on over there...?
    Sarcastic tip for Lego designers: If you need to make a wall lower so humans can get their hands inside...then your building propably isn't wide enough.
  • The color scheme of the donut shop is jarring. It kinda works for its facade, actually, but on the sides and back it looks horrible, that color (whatever it is...dark lavender? dark pink?) is way too bright to use on entire walls.
  • I obviously could do without the 'donut stealing' play feature, but as it does not take up much space or many pieces, I actually don't mind it.

The sad thing is, the Police Station itself looks good, as does the front of the Donut Shop. If they had just concentrated on those two, this would be a great set. But it all get's ruined with how they tried to squeeze in three facades, so now we get an imposing Police Station with random bits of other buildings sticking out left and right :sad:. It just looks ridiculous.

Really liking this set on first impressions, which is more than I can say for the previous 2. Some good features and reminds me of an old style New York Police Precinct (PP)

Yeh there are some cons (pardon the pun) like the donut outlet could have been wider etc. The only thing I would have liked to have seen was the inclusion of a Police Car like one of the 2 that were shortlisted on the Lego Ideas competition.

Have the triangle/wedge tiles used on the stairs been used before as not seen them?

Edited by scottwb2010

3 hours ago, BaalTheBuilder said:

When I saw the newspaper stand, then the printed typewriter and the pin board, I realized...this building would make a perfect newspaper headquarters!

Great ideas on turning it into a school, museum, or library. For me, I will moc this modular to become the home of the “Daily Brick”!

..............ah... great idea.. never think about it!

We can just change the "jail" into the library - ie. stationery storage - then become perfect!

18 minutes ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

But then things go wrong:

• The first point is obvious: After getting it right for four sets in a row, they returned to the idiotic idea of a modular needing 'multiple' facades that DO NOT MATCH UP with how the insides are structured . I really had hoped that they had abandoned that notion after Brick Bank. I mean, the dividing wall between the donut shop and the Police station randomly moves inward two bricks half of the way, wtf?
  • The sand green addition is as unnecessary as a fifth wheel on a car, and looks really out of place even in the best pictures. It's just too narrow to have any kind of presence. But at least it's really just an addition to the Police Station. Still, they could've dropped that and just made the donut shop wider. Then we wouldn't have to deal with that nonsensical dividing wall, either.
  • Speaking of that nonsensical dividing wall: Yet another thing I had hoped we would never have to see again is the dividing walls not being the full height of the respective floors. I mean, yeah, who wouldn't want to live in an apartment next to a Police Station with the topmost metre of wall just missing, so you can hear anything that goes on over there...?
    Sarcastic tip for Lego designers: If you need to make a wall lower so humans can get their hands inside...then your building propably isn't wide enough.
  • The color scheme of the donut shop is jarring. It kinda works for its facade, actually, but on the sides and back it looks horrible, that color (whatever it is...dark lavender? dark pink?) is way too bright to use on entire walls.
  • I obviously could do without the 'donut stealing' play feature, but as it does not take up much space or many pieces, I actually don't mind it.

I consider multiple facedes as a good for overal look of the street. Many AFOLS already stated before that the most important think to them is the facade since the modulars are on the shelves or in the cities. I consider interior details same important but for what we are used to get from lego, its okay. Probably more than in other modulars, in here you can see more attention for logic and thinking of the details. 

The station itself is nicely centered, and the building can work as standalone set as well.

Dividing walls with smaller height are common, I am surprised that it surprises you. Pet Shop, Detective Office, Brick Bank. You can finish them with your bricks (same with interiors as many here stated on argument that they want more bricks on the facade and less inside). 

"If you need to make a wall lower so humans can get their hands inside...then your building probably isn't wide enough." To that I can say that maybe 32x32 baseplate is not big enough for these buildings :)

I recommend you to be less judgmental or at least express it as your opinion only (which you somehow miss in "thoughts") 

I think the bookshop had finer details than this set, e.g. flat furniture, the bird's nest on the birch tree, terrarium with chameleon... Here it seems that the stairs take most of the police station's inside, instead of a cool looking office, and outside a (1950's) police car is really missing, which is quite a shame. The fabulous cookie store is in my eyes too narrow, but since I'm always modifying my modulars so they have open backs (similar to the Diagon Alley), I'll change that too. A must buy, but I'll wait for the upcoming Ninjago Gardens first.

I have so many police officers, police cars and police dogs from Lego City, so I'm glad vehicles, extra minifigs and dogs aren't included in the set since it would have been a way to justify it being more expensive.

Is the torso on the newspaper selling donut thief the same as one of Jack's two torso's from The Lego Hidden Side theme? Maybe Jack grew up with too much of a sweet tooth?

I'll probably display this next to my modular Detective's Office since the kitchen in that set is likely the supplier for the Donut Shop in the Police modular.

Not my favorite in the line, but I like it.

And, contrary to what seems to be the taste of many, it is precisely the fact it includes 3 buildings of different style, color, height and depth that makes it more appealing. Rather then just being a model of a building, this creates a more or less vibrant street scene.

Which gives me the feeling that I get more for my money then in case it were only 1 big block.. (I know this is completely subjective and not backed up by price per piece count or whatever.. but still.. )

I guess that is why the Detective Office, Brick Bank and Assembly Square are still my favorite ones, in that order..

Pity Lego missed out on putting a old fashioned police car in the set... Including it might have pushed this set into my top list...   I.m.o. there was no real need for a car in the Cinema or Diner sets,  But after the Fire Brigade and the Corner Garage, this is a set that would benefit from including one.

... oh, and Yaaay!  2 bathrooms in one set... is that the first time??  they are really going full throttle here... :)

ps : up till now I have a bit of problems with the left side of the diner... since this is kind of a semi corner building, it doesn't seem to fit against another building... but as real corner something is wrong too...   I wonder how the diner will look next to the green jail and newspaper stand...  since it is backed a bit, and the outer wall has some texture, this might be the best place to connect the diner to... hope to find out soon..

Edited by J.V.D.
additional thoughts

Briefly considered modifying this into a modular Research Institute, but I don't think the dinosaur skeleton will fit inside without blocking the staircase. As is, this is similar to the Brick Bank in that the main building doesn't hold any interest for me but the side business does. I might just order the necessary parts from both to make a donut shop/laundromat modular.

1 hour ago, Blazej_Holen said:

I consider multiple facedes as a good for overal look of the street. Many AFOLS already stated before that the most important think to them is the facade since the modulars are on the shelves or in the cities. I consider interior details same important but for what we are used to get from lego, its okay. Probably more than in other modulars, in here you can see more attention for logic and thinking of the details. 

The station itself is nicely centered, and the building can work as standalone set as well.

Dividing walls with smaller height are common, I am surprised that it surprises you. Pet Shop, Detective Office, Brick Bank. You can finish them with your bricks (same with interiors as many here stated on argument that they want more bricks on the facade and less inside). 

"If you need to make a wall lower so humans can get their hands inside...then your building probably isn't wide enough." To that I can say that maybe 32x32 baseplate is not big enough for these buildings :)

I recommend you to be less judgmental or at least express it as your opinion only (which you somehow miss in "thoughts") 

Of course it's all my opinion :classic:

Just because something is common does not mean I have to like or accept it (I'm not surprised by it, btw, just sad that we get another set with this flaw after the last couple ones did not feature it). 'Finish it with your own bricks' is an easy but hollow argument - I don't think it is asking too much to get a finished product from Lego, and not one I have to add stuff to to make it complete. They could just add the few more pieces needed to create full-height walls - heck, they could even set them on jumpers so you could take part of them out and still get good access to the interior.

To that I can say that maybe 32x32 baseplate is not big enough for these buildings :)

Well, it isn't :). That was my whole point when I said they should have left the green portion out and used that space to make the Donut Shop wider. The Police Station is 18 studs wide, which leaves 14 studs. You can pull off a nice looking building on 14 studs, but two will almost always look squashed.

6 minutes ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

'Finish it with your own bricks' is an easy but hollow argument - I don't think it is asking too much to get a finished product from Lego, and not one I have to add stuff to to make it complete. They could just add the few more pieces needed to create full-height walls - heck, they could even set them on jumpers so you could take part of them out and still get good access to the interior.

Its Lego isnt it? :) Thats finished product and if you like to make some changes and mods (almost everyone will) then you re free to go. For me, i dont mind those walls. I mind other things, like missing police car. To that you can say taht I should build my own. And its fine, you would be right. This is product which is finished. Everyone can change it to their taste (which are different as you can see). 

Do you think the building on the right was intentionally built in the 10228 haunted house colour scheme? Cause if so, awesome idea.  and the ideas to have the prison there suits that too.

I found the changes of color in the facade really interesting in the way it can ease the juxtaposition of certain buildings that wouldn’t have fitted so well otherwise. Also, I think it could be usefusul in the future to « break the line » of a bulky, one function building (school, museum, hospital): it could be done just for the style of it or to simulate a building annex. 

20 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Very impressed - when I first heard that it was gonna be a police station I was extremely annoyed as my city police collection is extensive - but this is the best police station I’ve ever seen.  Shame I missed on BB though (I chose to buy PR first, and then BB was discontinued early).  It means that the billboard won’t work as well for me.  Also, is the police uniform the same as that of the female officer in the barber shop in DO?

The female office in DO is wearing no jacket, just a shirt. At the toros of the female officer in the Police Station you see the shirt as well ;)

2 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Do you think the building on the right was intentionally built in the 10228 haunted house colour scheme? Cause if so, awesome idea.  and the ideas to have the prison there suits that too.

I think it may or may not be intentionally built to match 10228's color scheme, but I'm sure the designer likes the color as he used it in both 10275 and this set.

Very very happy to finally have a Police Station!!  Was disappointed at first the station didn’t use the full baseplate but on reflection I think it’s great.  Good to have a different sized building, 18 studs for the station, medium lavender is great, with great colour divide with the green ivy on the wall, sand green too is good.

What I like is it’s just a great, simple, small community police station, a presence on the street but not the main station, every floor in line size wise, I like the dark tan brickwork, love the use of dark blue sign and flags to give it the important police feel.., and the minecraft wolf pieces at the top, which is what Lego have to do to differ from all the MOCs.

No car, no helicopter, not needed, like the height too, considerably taller than the bookstore.  Looks great next to the book shop, think that’s where I’ll put mine too.

Looking forward to building, thanks Lego

I don't see this selling too well in the United States, given current police/civilian relations.

This one is a hard pass for me. Plus, the "cops love donuts" stereotype is so played out, it's tiring.

Edited by romulan

On 11/27/2020 at 11:54 AM, Rick said:

Let's all stick to discussing the set and not the appropriateness of a police-themed modular building.

Moderator has addressed this line of discussion, repeatedly.

Lego already knows this will sell plenty well in the US. A vintage police car would be a great GWP candidate.

8 minutes ago, kelano said:

Lego already knows this will sell plenty well in the US. A vintage police car would be a great GWP candidate.

I think it will be like most modulars.  They will fly off the shelves on Jan 1, and it will go out of stock temporarily in a matter of hours to days.  If you want one from a store, it is wise to be there before it opens.  Only one problem with pairing the car with it as a GWP: see the whole Elf Clubhouse fiasco.  A lot of people held off on buying the Elf Clubhouse in order to get the holiday themed GWP sets.  Only one problem: Elf Clubhouse is out of stock with no backorder option, and it has been that way for weeks in the US.  I can see a potential similar fate happening in January with a GWP.  Unless the GWP is available on Day 1, there is an element if risk.  If there is a lag between January 1 and the day the GWP becomes available, you risk having the Police Station going out of stock in the same way that Elf Clubhouse has.  Due to COVID, the factories simply cannot keep up with demand, especially here in the US.  If the modular goes out of stock and you wanted the GWP that bad, you would either have to buy something else and spend enough to get over the threshold, or you would have to try and Bricklink it.  Then, you would have to set funds aside for the eventual day that the Police Station becomes available again.  

7 hours ago, Killian said:

I have so many police officers, police cars and police dogs from Lego City, so I'm glad vehicles, extra minifigs and dogs aren't included in the set since it would have been a way to justify it being more expensive.

Is the torso on the newspaper selling donut thief the same as one of Jack's two torso's from The Lego Hidden Side theme? Maybe Jack grew up with too much of a sweet tooth?

I'll probably display this next to my modular Detective's Office since the kitchen in that set is likely the supplier for the Donut Shop in the Police modular.

While I wouldn’t have minded an older(30’s/40’s) police car, I’m perfectly fine without one, as I have plenty. I’m already planning in having the GCPD make a home of the station & they have a great car. 

That is Jack’s torso. 

7 hours ago, J.V.D. said:

Not my favorite in the line, but I like it.

And, contrary to what seems to be the taste of many, it is precisely the fact it includes 3 buildings of different style, color, height and depth that makes it more appealing. Rather then just being a model of a building, this creates a more or less vibrant street scene.

Which gives me the feeling that I get more for my money then in case it were only 1 big block.. (I know this is completely subjective and not backed up by price per piece count or whatever.. but still.. )

I guess that is why the Detective Office, Brick Bank and Assembly Square are still my favorite ones, in that order..

Pity Lego missed out on putting a old fashioned police car in the set... Including it might have pushed this set into my top list...   I.m.o. there was no real need for a car in the Cinema or Diner sets,  But after the Fire Brigade and the Corner Garage, this is a set that would benefit from including one.

Yes, the varied look of the set make it more appealing, not less. It makes for a more lively street. That’s exactly why I love DO & AS. They really broke up the monotony(in a sense) of one solid block of a building. 

I do think the exclusion of a police car is an interesting choice. Even if, like PC & DD, a car would’ve added to it. But unlike those two it’s very easy to get a police car. Not so much with a limo convertible for the premiere & definitely not a 50’s car for the Diner. But then the argument of Fire Brigade having a fire truck...we had plenty of options for a fire truck then as well. But not so much for a tow truck.