Rick

10278 Police Station

1 hour ago, tomorrowboy said:

I was disappointed by the book shop because the book shop portion was so small and it made the likelihood of a full library modular seem incredibly small. Now a police station that I'm completely uninterested in. Some day they'll release one I want...

Well, I for one, am going to turn this into a library!

So where is the teal/white convertible car that was supposed to be released with this modular?  

Otherwise like the set and will be happy to add this police station to my collection.

Edited by CSW652

39 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

What I dont understand is why some of you guys are trying to mix here politics and current situation in US. Believe or not, US are not the whole world. Many years Afols where whining for Police station. Here it is as a fan service more than anything else and yet many of you still bitching about it. Jesus...

32 minutes ago, Friscorays said:

Difficult for me to work up much outrage over a stylized old timey toy police station and some obviously horrific real world events.  If anything, I think Lego is pretty obviously guilty of over censoring themselves.

As to the absence of a police car, those are a dime a dozen and I am glad they put those potential parts to use elsewhere in the set.

It is the donut shop owners apartment.  The bed lifts up to give access to the donuts below.  Also in the same room are a record player, cooktop and sink.

Who here is "bitching" or "outraged"? I mentioned feeling "a little uncomfortable" about the announcement despite loving the overall set design, and @CopperTablet made a snarky comment comparing real-world police to villains in other LEGO themes before likewise saying it was a great design. Neither of our comments were anywhere near as angry/belligerent as the response y'all had to us sharing our individual perspectives.

17 minutes ago, Options said:

Really like it.  Best modular in years. Please, enough of this garbage about police......keep your opinion to yourself, especially if  you haven’t reviewed the FBI uniform crime statistics.

So your opinions are totally fine, but I should keep mine to myself? Really solid argument you've got there. I have no interest in debating the topic of policing in the United States or any country, nor in trying to convince anybody that they should feel the same way I do. I just felt like sharing why I had some misgivings about a set that I'm otherwise extremely impressed with.

9 minutes ago, DimiNi said:

Sorry yes, but USA is not the main or only target for Lego, other countries don't have so many problems with the police. But I really don't want to talk about that topic too much if it's appropriate or not.

Same. And I agree, it's not anywhere near as bad in most of the world as in the United States (even if it's not exclusively a US issue). I was just sharing my perspective as somebody who grew up in that country.

For what it's worth, I finally moved to Canada this month to live with my wife while she completes her PhD, so that has me feeling a lot less anxious about a lot of that stuff than I was back in my hometown. This conversation has been a good reminder for me to update the location in my profile!

1 minute ago, CSW652 said:

So where is the teal/white convertible car that was supposed to be released with this modular?  

I believe the thinking is that that will be a gift with purchase, whether specifically with this set or not I am not sure.

I think the facade is great. It is a nice classical design and will go nicely with the other classical looking ones. I'm not a fan of the narrow buildings. The shop is not too bad, but the heavily set back jail part is going to look a bit odd when another building is put up against it. I also cannot work out why the walls inside do not go to the ceilings. I can see they use the new curved parts nicely to smooth the walls, but why have a gap between a police station and the shop? There are some lovely details inside, the phone and typewriter are particularly nice prints.

Sheesh...so many people here lie, create strawmen, or act in bad faith...

No one of any significance was calling for the end of police sets. No one called on LEGO to pause the marketing. They did that on their own.

Anyway, I really like the way this set looks. Definitely getting it soon after its release.

Btw have you noticed those colour clean and cohesive side walls? No colour mish-mash, its nice and clean even with a little texture here and there. Really nice clean and well-thought build. 

11 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

For what it's worth, I finally moved to Canada this month to live with my wife while she completes her PhD, so that has me feeling a lot less anxious about a lot of that stuff than I was back in my hometown. This conversation has been a good reminder for me to update the location in my profile!

May you two enjoy the life there <3  :)

26 weeks of training for RCMP, that's quite lot in North America for becoming a police.

This set, went to my wishlist!  https://www.lego.com/en-se/product/police-station-10278

I haven't seen it posted yet so here is the reason for the crack in the wall. Hidden tunnel escape under the jail cell.

small pic.jpg

9 minutes ago, Brettski said:

I haven't seen it posted yet so here is the reason for the crack in the wall. Hidden tunnel escape under the jail cell.

small pic.jpg

No way! Thats cute and hilarious at the same time.. do you think that there is some movable bricks to get outside from that "tunnel"? Also I have noticed that those stairs are brickbuild and snoted, nice!

Edited by Blazej_Holen

37 minutes ago, Rick said:

Let's all stick to discussing the set and not the appropriateness of a police-themed modular building.

I appreciate that some replies were prepared as I was posting this, but please, discuss the set itself here and keep it friendly.

Thank you. 

48 minutes ago, MAB said:

I think the facade is great. It is a nice classical design and will go nicely with the other classical looking ones. I'm not a fan of the narrow buildings. The shop is not too bad, but the heavily set back jail part is going to look a bit odd when another building is put up against it. I also cannot work out why the walls inside do not go to the ceilings. I can see they use the new curved parts nicely to smooth the walls, but why have a gap between a police station and the shop? There are some lovely details inside, the phone and typewriter are particularly nice prints.

99% sure it's to allow easier play inside. There's no structural need to have the walls go all the way to the top, so the designers probably opted to both save some bricks there, as well as opening up the interior to better allow you to pose minifigs inside.

The set “overall” is nice. Worth $200? Probably not. Will I buy? Probably so. I am confused as to why the jail portion of the build is a different color. I’m not a fan of that. I like the donut shop but it needs to be twice as wide. MOD possibilities. 

56 minutes ago, CSW652 said:

Otherwise like the set and will be happy to add this police station to my collection.

That's confirmed to be a gift with purchase, so it won't be a part of the set.

Just now, froggy95 said:

The set “overall” is nice. Worth $200? Probably not. Will I buy? Probably so. I am confused as to why the jail portion of the build is a different color. I’m not a fan of that. I like the donut shop but it needs to be twice as wide. MOD possibilities. 

It's a different color to add depth and variety to the overall look of the modular street. Additionally, in older buildings with holding cells the section with the cells is made of steel or otherwise reinforced, which would have a different color from the outside. 

Also $200 is pretty much the new waterline for the modulars- inflation has driven up the price, and so has the AFOL demand for more detailed sets with more prints and better fleshed out interiors. I'd get used to it.

4 minutes ago, froggy95 said:

They spoke about that in the reveal video. Three (four if you count the kiosk) different facades create some variation in the modular street. They started doing this with Brick Bank and Detective's Office, by the way. I guess it prevents a row of 32-wide "blocks" on a street.

First things first...how are we going to abbreviate this? PS is already taken. 

I love it. It feels like a more complete street as opposed to a building. I love the height & death differences & the height especially....it looks taller than TH(or equal too). It’s absolutely hilarious that they included a donut shop & that billboard. Great additions! :laugh:

Edited by Vindicare

Another question:

In the new "Modulars Buildings Collection" , whats the most left Building in the logo?

The newspaper stand has more newspapers than the Bookshop Set books :pir-grin:

Edited by DimiNi

The Police Station looks like an awesome set! Like always I was hyped for the new modular, but this one exceeds my expectations by far! :wub:

Only thing I really dislike is the black box and the 18+ logo, as it both looks too harsh for a toy that brings me and many LEGO fans so much joy.

The architecture is great, the colors are warm, it will look fantastic in any layout. On top of that it's filled with nice fun storytelling details. The escape route is just hilarious! :laugh_hard:

I thought a donut shop next to a police station would be too cliché, but it seems to be combined seamlessly here!

On top of that I personally had the feeling my modular collection was missing one essential building, a police station, so it's a fun feeling I don't have any expectations for the future and that everything that follows is a bonus! ... A school or a museum would be welcome too :innocent:

I'm looking forward to new year, I'm buying this wonderfull set as soon as the GWP car from the contest becomes available! :excited:

14 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

First things first...how are we going to abbreviate this? PS is already taken.

"PH" for "Precinct House"? Can be used to mean "Police Headquarters" too.

Well said, @Aanchir.

I, too, find it interesting that CG is excluded on the back. It’s obvious that BS is a better match, visually. Also, they’re both similar to PR, which have sold really well. Might indicate the styles that are to come in this series. 

1 hour ago, Blazej_Holen said:

No way! Thats cute and hilarious at the same time.. do you think that there is some movable bricks to get outside from that "tunnel"? Also I have noticed that those stairs are brickbuild and snoted, nice!

The crack in the back of the building is in this area and the yellow flower is the only decoration on the back so I wonder if the flower acts as a handle to pull out a small section of the back.  This would allow the thief to tunnel from the holding cell and then make a tight 90 degree turn to the back of the building.

....or maybe the flower just serves to lock a slideable portion of the rear wall in place or maybe the crack just serves an notice of intent of planned escape path.

Edited by Friscorays

20 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Now, for the political whiners in the room(which I will not reply to, just adding two cents)...equating all cops to a few bad mistakes is irresponsible & disrespectful to the profession. There’s nothing wrong with releasing a police station. 

I wonder why you think this addition was necessary after the two reminders I posted asking everyone to discuss the set itself? I also asked for a friendly discussion and while I realise that, not being a native speaker myself, I may miss some subtleties of the English language here and there, I don't think the word "whiner" has many friendly connotations.

If you feel further discussion about this is necessary, you can PM me.

21 minutes ago, DimiNi said:

In the new "Modulars Buildings Collection" , whats the most left Building in the logo?

Corner Garage!

To the new set, I love it like no other modular before. Very detailed and funny, with great builds.

Day one buy for sure!

I would suggest POL as the abbreviation.

not sure about the set myself, will buy and build but does not fit with my street, too tall and the two narrow buildings means it does not ‘fit in’  

I prefer MOC police stations I have seen 

but a very interest interpretation with donut shop and escape route