Rick

10278 Police Station

They only revealed the front and side that had the billboard, although confirming parts are printed.  Brickset is probably best for seeing pics of the interior.  

I won't deny I was a little uncomfortable learning that this would be the 2021 installment in the Modular Buildings Collection, given the rising awareness of past and present police corruption and misconduct which fueled this past summer's protests. I realize the designers couldn't really have anticipated that being one of the hot-button issues of 2020, but it ends up casting a bit of a shadow over the reveal, which is unfortunate because it truly is a lovely set which makes a great addition to the series.

And in the grand scheme of things, perhaps it's for the best that we're getting this set sooner rather than later… after all, even with all the effort that LEGO has put towards keeping their "real life" inspired sets free of the more distressing elements of the world we live in, at some point they might have to re-evaluate whether sanitized "cops and robbers" play scenarios like this might carry unfortunate connotations in certain parts of the world.

But anyway, as for the set itself, it is truly a masterwork! The colors and architectural details do a great job setting this model apart from others in the Modular Buildings series while still fitting with the high-detail aesthetic we've come to expect.

Some of my favorite building techniques that I can spot include the use of stacked gear plates for the decorative shrubs outside, the awning construction on the donut shop, and the use of unprinted Minecraft wolf heads for the cornice on the police station's roof line. This last technique is especially surprising since I would've expected a mold like that to be IP-locked.

The interiors seem to be quite well designed from what I can see so far. I love the stairway design in the station itself, as well as the "pin board" and typewriter in the police chief's office, the blinds on the police station windows, and the colorful floor tiles in the donut shop. I look forward to seeing some of the interior spaces from more angles!

I have to say, though — the printed laundromat billboard is gonna make the brick-built billboard on top of the Grand Emporium look somewhat pitiful by comparison!

Edited by Aanchir

Very impressed - when I first heard that it was gonna be a police station I was extremely annoyed as my city police collection is extensive - but this is the best police station I’ve ever seen.  Shame I missed on BB though (I chose to buy PR first, and then BB was discontinued early).  It means that the billboard won’t work as well for me.  Also, is the police uniform the same as that of the female officer in the barber shop in DO?

Sadly no police car and only 5 figs and no animals :/ hmmm overall great building though and I like new prints (luckilly no stickers). I dont like the box though...

What I dont understand is why some of you guys are trying to mix here politics and current situation in US. Believe or not, US are not the whole world. Many years Afols where whining for Police station. Here it is as a fan service more than anything else and yet many of you still bitching about it. Jesus...

Edited by Blazej_Holen

I think I like it! Love the Police station mainly. For me it's slightly odd if the only way to acsess the apartment is via the ladder at the back and I would have preferred if the green building was the same style as the Police station. So many opportunities to mod this one but a great starting point to begin with!

Just now, Blazej_Holen said:

Sadly no police car and only 5 figs and no animals :/ hmmm overall great building though and I like new prints (luckilly no stickers). I dont like the box though...

What I dont understand is why some of you guys are trying to mix here politics and current situation in US. Believe or not, US are not the whole world. Many years Afols where whining for Police station. Here it is as a fan service more than anything else and yet many of you still bitching about it. Jesus...

Totally agree, and I am in the US.  Indeed many of us have wondered for years why there is no modular Police Station.  After all, we have the Fire Brigade.  There is another bluebird, likely to complement the one in the Bookshop so we can now have a pair.  

I am still trying to figure out exactly what the purpose of the room is right above the donut shop.  The thief seems to be using it to access the donut shop with his dangling donut trick, but it is hard to tell if that particular room has any other purpose.  I also noticed that the wall from the police station does not completely go to the top, not unlike the situation with the Brick Bank and the laundromat.  Perhaps, this is part of the storyline and will be understood later.  

All in all, a nice set.  If I somehow get $200 plus tax by New Years Day, I might be in line at the Lego Store.  

Difficult for me to work up much outrage over a stylized old timey toy police station and some obviously horrific real world events.  If anything, I think Lego is pretty obviously guilty of over censoring themselves.

As to the absence of a police car, those are a dime a dozen and I am glad they put those potential parts to use elsewhere in the set.

Just now, AFOLguy1970 said:

....I am still trying to figure out exactly what the purpose of the room is right above the donut shop.  The thief seems to be using it to access the donut shop with his dangling donut trick, but it is hard to tell if that particular room has any other purpose....

It is the donut shop owners apartment.  The bed lifts up to give access to the donuts below.  Also in the same room are a record player, cooktop and sink.

Its a great looking police station.  And dont forget guys, this is Lego.  Lego police are not corrupt, they are stand up honest guys.  And their biggest job is hunting down a donut thief.

Looking through the details, as someone who's built their own police station modular (https://www.flickr.com/photos/75784937@N07/albums/72157663583912562), it's interesting the kind of overlaps and similarities in ideas that came up. And also in the way that a staircase takes up so much of the build! Some details that were shared were the holding cell for a prisoner, the classic green lamps for lighting, and the lobby space being somewhat barebones. It looks like there may be a chief's office on the 3rd floor where there's an air conditioner hanging out the window, which would be another similarity! I'll probably get this set and modify it to not be a police station but keep it in my city!

I'll definitely get this. I was apprehensive about a police station because I didn't think it would really fit in with the rest of them but this is quite nice. It's not obtrusive at all. Hardest part is going to be figuring out where to put it... 

I might move the Pet Shop/Bown Stone and put it there next to Birch Books and The Detective Agency...

11 minutes ago, Kirton Bricks said:

I think I like it! Love the Police station mainly. For me it's slightly odd if the only way to acsess the apartment is via the ladder at the back and I would have preferred if the green building was the same style as the Police station. So many opportunities to mod this one but a great starting point to begin with!

But not really more odd than having to go through a bakery to get to an apartment or dentist office... ;)

Really like it.  Best modular in years. Please, enough of this garbage about police......keep your opinion to yourself, especially if  you haven’t reviewed the FBI uniform crime statistics.

Example.....

“I won't deny I was a little uncomfortable learning that this would be the 2021 installment in the Modular Buildings Collection, given the rising awareness of past and present police corruption and misconduct which fueled this past summer's protests. I realize the designers couldn't really have anticipated that being one of the hot-button issues of 2020, but it ends up casting a bit of a shadow over the reveal, which is unfortunate because it truly is a lovely set which makes a great addition to the series.”

Seriously? For the vast majority of people, it’s not a ‘hot button issue’. Not even close.

One of videos on Lego site shows donut thief digging himself out of jail (there is a removable floor section in the police station intake area)!

This set looks fantastic, especially next to last year’s Book Shop. Interesting to note that they only showed two modular buildings on the back of the box instead of the usual three though. I’m not a fan of the Corner Garage personally but I don’t know why it isn’t included in the line-up here?

I can agree that the timing here is a bit awkward given current events in the US, but as @Marty McFly puts it, these are noble Lego officers who go after donut thiefs and cookie smugglers in the case of 2015’s Detective’s Office. Lego is an idealized escape from the real world after all.

My only gripe is that there are only five minifigures here, compared to something like Barracuda Bay which has eight along with some creatures.  A police car would’ve been nice but I can just get a City one to park next to the Station.

32 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I won't deny I was a little uncomfortable learning that this would be the 2021 installment in the Modular Buildings Collection, given the rising awareness of past and present police corruption and misconduct which fueled this past summer's protests. I realize the designers couldn't really have anticipated that being one of the hot-button issues of 2020, but it ends up casting a bit of a shadow over the reveal, which is unfortunate because it truly is a lovely set which makes a great addition to the series.

And in the grand scheme of things, perhaps it's for the best that we're getting this set sooner rather than later… after all, even with all the effort that LEGO has put towards keeping their "real life" inspired sets free of the more distressing elements of the world we live in, at some point they might have to re-evaluate whether sanitized "cops and robbers" play scenarios like this might carry unfortunate connotations in certain parts of the world.

But anyway, as for the set itself, it is truly a masterwork! The colors and architectural details do a great job setting this model apart from others in the Modular Buildings series while still fitting with the high-detail aesthetic we've come to expect.

Some of my favorite building techniques that I can spot include the use of stacked gear plates for the decorative shrubs outside, the awning construction on the donut shop, and the use of unprinted Minecraft wolf heads for the cornice on the police station's roof line. This last technique is especially surprising since I would've expected a mold like that to be IP-locked.

The interiors seem to be quite well designed from what I can see so far. I love the stairway design in the station itself, as well as the "pin board" and typewriter in the police chief's office, the blinds on the police station windows, and the colorful floor tiles in the donut shop. I look forward to seeing some of the interior spaces from more angles!

I have to say, though — the printed laundromat billboard is gonna make the brick-built billboard on top of the Grand Emporium look somewhat pitiful by comparison!

Sorry yes, but USA is not the main or only target for Lego, other countries don't have so many problems with the police. But I really don't want to talk about that topic too much if it's appropriate or not. 

PS: if I would complain about something its the rooftop of the main building. its so empty. But its lego so we could add anything we want (batman light? :D)

18 minutes ago, MartyMcFly said:

Its a great looking police station.  And dont forget guys, this is Lego.  Lego police are not corrupt, they are stand up honest guys.  And their biggest job is hunting down a donut thief.

Have you seen The Lego Movie?  The police take orders from the sinister President Business, it's very realistic.   Fittingly, the play theme of the set is that they are committing acts of violence against a man so destitute he has to steal bread products.    The set is actually deeply cynical about the authorities and I love it.

28 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

There is an animal in the set, it's a blue bird that looks like the Twitter mascot.

Edited by CopperTablet

Wow it looks really great alongside the Bookstore! I don't have any modulars but getting those two could be a good start.

Let's all stick to discussing the set and not the appropriateness of a police-themed modular building.

4 minutes ago, CopperTablet said:

Fittingly, the play theme of the set is that they are committing acts of violence against a man so destitute he has to steal bread products.    The set is actually deeply cynical about the authorities and I love it.

You can’t be serious.

13 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

Is it Idea theme?

Box is labeled "Modular Buildings Collection."  In US Shop at Home it is under Creator Expert tab.  If you don't see it in the Lego Shop at Home in your part of the world, try searching the set number.