Lance Corporal Dryer didn't mind digging latrine pits all that much - the new latrine pits were usually far enough away from the old latrine pits that there wasn't much smell and he enjoyed the rhythm of digging. He was in for some excitement when his shovel hit something hard; as he dug around the hard object, he began to uncover what looked to be a large spine. He couldn't imagine what the animal would have looked like that had such a giant spine. With the help of Corporal Griffith, they pulled the spine out of the half-dug latrine pit. Below where the spine had lain, they uncovered large six-inch teeth.

When the teeth were presented to Captain Brickleton, he was taken aback. Thinking of a large alligator, the beast that owned the large teeth must have been huge! He would write to Colonel Dirk Allcock (@Ayrlego) and request he send a note on to the Parliament of Science suggesting further investigation.

bones-1.jpg

OOC: I wanted to try out an @Ayrlego-style baseplate and some new tree styles that are thinner than the birches in the bridge MOC.

Edited by evancelt

Nice way to spice up a mundane camp scene with a skeleton find!  Definitely seeing the Ayrlego inspiration on the base, and I dig the continuing autumn colors!

Excellent idea! There are so many stories we could find using digs on all of the islands!

The build itself is quite nice, there are a lot of nice colour combinations.

I realise your brick collections might be not super extensive, but you use the ones you have in a good way! That being said, if you could have a bigger mix of plates and tiles, the floor would look nicer. Baseplate wise, if you'd place the little tan slope that's way uon the left side make the slopey bit between the tan and dark tan 1x2 brick that'd look a lot nicer ( if that makes sense)

A fantastic idea. I don't think we have seen too many archeological builds, much less any paleontology, which helps make this build all the more unique. Having the whole excavation occur during a seemingly mundane task as opposed to a formal expedition is great, too. Makes it feel much more organic instead of forced. 

As for the build itself, you continue to do a great job with this style. I think you capture the Ayrlego baseplate style really well. One idea which came to mind is to have a bit more red along the sides. Looking at the pile of dirt it seems there is a layer of clay, and I am curious if you could take advantage of the elevated base to capture some of the layers of dirt. Maybe it would not work, but food for thought if you try this style again. 

Thanks all! I thought some dino bones would be a fun twist :pir-wench:

As @Puvel suggested, I don't have many tan tiles at all, and my dark tan tiles are mostly 1x4 and 1x6. When I tried the longer dark tan tiles, it looked pretty unnatural. Aiming to pick up more 1x2 plates and tiles in the next few months.

I'll play around with your base suggestions just to try it out. Thanks!