Reker1000000

12v motor- glue type?

I may have to open a 12v train motor soon (2nd generation), due to the fact that one of the contacts is wearing out. I've read Andromeda's post about opening the motor and am going to get a 1151 to take apart for contacts, and also have read a lot about the internals of the motor. I am planning to make a jig to hold the motor, and use a BIC single razor blade (as someone else did, I think it was Andromeda) to break the seal of glue around the bottom. I know what is inside the motor and am also planning to clean everything out, and replace the contacts and re-grease the axles. However, I am unclear on what type of grease I should use to re-lubricate the axles, as well as what type of glue is good for resealing the motor. I have read that if you use the wrong type of glue then it will be very hard to open up again if need be. Does anyone have any pointers on what types of grease and glue to buy, or any tips for opening and cleaning the motor?

Thank you so much!

And, on a side note: I know the 3rd generation of 12v motors is apparently very hard to get open. Does anyone know why that is, and/or how to get it open? Not planning to open that type up anytime soon but the information could be useful in the future for me and the community.

How about hot melt glue? A strong adhesion but you could warm it gently to reopen the case if need be.

I don't know how well it would adhere to plastic, but hide glue might be worth a try as any mistakes can be reversed with warm water. Just mix one part unflavored gelatin with four parts water and heat until it  dissolves. I've had good results fletching arrows with it.

Thanks Pdaitabird, will have to look into that. Seems pretty simple to make and as you said, reversing mistakes could be invaluable.

For me  acetone worked fine - not so much helps the two parts to weld fine - and I reopened the motor recently.

One thing I do, always with a lot of attention: I soften with fine sandpaper a bit both the motor case and the bottom lid, since in some cases - when you open it - there could be some little imperfections that may cause you troubles when closing the motor again. I tried also a cyanoacrilate glue, but as @LEGO Train 12 Volts said it is prone to leave white  traces. :classic: