Herky

Lego Architecture - rumors and discussion

1 hour ago, grahamrc351984 said:

‘An online listing for 21058 The Great Pyramid of Giza has appeared, suggesting that a rumoured LEGO Architecture set may have a different name.

21058 The Great Pyramid of Giza has 1,476 pieces for €139.99 according to online retailer Wagner’s. Given the set number, it seems likely that this is a LEGO Architecture model since it comes after 21057 Singapore, the last build in the theme to be released.’

Source - Brick Fanatics

I am looking forward to seeing this set. 

At that price, I’m praying they go for detail AND an interior of sorts, not just scale. 

FWIW, the PQ pyramid was about the same price back in the day, and what a fantastic set that was.

Edited by Lucarex

32 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

At that price, I’m praying they go for detail AND an interior of sorts, not just scale. 

FWIW, the PQ pyramid was about the same price back in the day, and what a fantastic set that was.

Is that the one with the big scorpion and the little sarcophagus?  That was a great set if it is the one I am thinking of, will be interesting, I don't want to buy a set that is just a pyramid unless it's at least 16"x16".

Whoa, that price genuinely sucks, though! Remember the sets with even more pieces, like Statue of Liberty and Empire State? Yeah, they cost about 2/3 of that. I mean, okay, they raised the price of the Taj Mahal to 120€ this year, but that's still 20€ less and has 2000 pieces. Like wut?! And I really can't believe that pyramid to be too much larger in volume than the Taj Mahal either.

6 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Wait, we will get Great Prymaid of Giza set this year??

That's the rumor as of right now, June 1.  No set info from Lego though, and no true pictures.  Will be interesting to see how they do this. 

3 hours ago, Herky said:

That's the rumor as of right now, June 1.  No set info from Lego though, and no true pictures.  Will be interesting to see how they do this. 

I mean, I never expected seeing desginers release that modern of ancient-time landmark. If it’s true, it’s MORE interested in that new direction. 

53 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I mean, I never expected seeing desginers release that modern of ancient-time landmark. If it’s true, it’s MORE interested in that new direction. 

Intriguing that it’s reportedly a double sided model (chambers inside) and represents the original white-clad pyramid as it would have been … definitely a departure for architecture sets 

According to Promobricks the set is not just the single pyramid, but a diorama featuring half the Cheops Pyramid, two Queen's Pyramid, a section of the Nile River and a few smaller buildings. The pyramid is represented in its historical appearance with white exterior and golden tip, and is split in half to show the interior chambers. Suposedly you can connect two sets together to form a complete pyramid; I'm not sure if that would leave you with two rivers or what.

Personally a set about the Great Pyramid with only half the pyramid feels a bit odd. It's not a geometric pyramid anymore :tongue:.

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-21058-pyramide-von-gizeh-vorschau/142591/

Should look kinda like this (with a shorter causeway):

CN_azLCUkAA06Sh?format=jpg&name=900x900

Giza-Necropolis-during-Old-Kingdom-aeria

(Rightmost)

Edited by Kaanere

46 minutes ago, williejm said:

Intriguing that it’s reportedly a double sided model (chambers inside) and represents the original white-clad pyramid as it would have been … definitely a departure for architecture sets 

Agreed!

This is my opinion - I kinda hope Lego would do a Japanese-based Archiecture set like Edo Castle or a traditional, multi-floor pagoda tower with some Japanese garden diorama. Of course with cherry blossoms. 

I mean I’m an American guy and I am a huge fan of Japanese culture. :) 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

Thats great idea to have interiors of pyramid and possibility to double this set.

This sounds very interesting, very tempted to see photos. Not gonna lie it sounds better than Eiffel tower set for 630 euro.

Really EVERYTHING sounds better than a 600€ 5m Eiffel Tower. ;-)

But yes, the description of the pyramid set sounds somewhat optimistic, al least regarding its optics (I still have problems with the general size and price directions). I don't really need the interiors, but if they're done well, they might be a neat addition.

I think, though, the option for completing it into a full pyramid is rather stupid, since you'd also double/mirror everything else. That makes even less sense than the Chinese Wall thing. But I don't really need a full pyramid anyway, since the whole thing is going to sit on a shelf against a wall anyway and we already had other sets without a proper backside. So I'm fine fine with half a pyramid, especially if that means spending more effort on the rest of the scenery and not making the set explode even more.

I was scouting rebrickable for some inspiration, and there is no problem to build really decent pyramid, well diorama, with this piece count.

I think that price is set that high thanks to usage of bigger bricks and baseplates.Rumoured size 46x30 studs is a lot.

9 hours ago, Rauy said:

I think, though, the option for completing it into a full pyramid is rather stupid, since you'd also double/mirror everything else.

With two sets you could easily complete the pyramid without mirroring anything else but the surrounding frame. But you'd be doubling the price without really doubling the display value, so while I'm sure someone will do it, I don't really see it as being a popular option. If Lego want to encourage such a mod then they really ought to release digital instructions for it, as I agree that doubling the entire set would look rather silly.

9 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

With two sets you could easily complete the pyramid without mirroring anything else but the surrounding frame. But you'd be doubling the price without really doubling the display value, so while I'm sure someone will do it, I don't really see it as being a popular option. If Lego want to encourage such a mod then they really ought to release digital instructions for it, as I agree that doubling the entire set would look rather silly.

Half of pyramid doesnt make sense, mirrored diorama either . I dont know who made this decision. There are football stadiums with thousands pieces and now they cannot throw 500 pieces more for whole pyramid, one of world wonder?

For me full pyramid or nothing, so there goes unnecessary doubling of set.

1 hour ago, Ondra said:

Half of pyramid doesnt make sense, mirrored diorama either . I dont know who made this decision. There are football stadiums with thousands pieces and now they cannot throw 500 pieces more for whole pyramid, one of world wonder?

For me full pyramid or nothing, so there goes unnecessary doubling of set.

I was suggesting adding the second half of the pyramid without mirroring the rest of the diorama, which could be done with a second set though I personally don't think it would be worth the cost. The set has definitely been designed with such an option in mind. I'm actually okay with the half-pyramid though, and can see why they chose this. For one thing, the full pyramid would make it a very deep set and difficult to display on most shelves. It would also make the interior access awkward given the set's specific functionality.

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

34 minutes ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I was suggesting adding the second half of the pyramid without mirroring the rest of the diorama, which could be done with a second set though I personally don't think it would be worth the cost. The set has definitely been designed with such an option in mind. I'm actually okay with the half-pyramid though, and can see why they chose this. For one thing, the full pyramid would make it a very deep set and difficult to display on most shelves. It would also make the interior access awkward given the set's specific functionality.

I think that it will be. Pyramid will be on separate baseplate and it can be detached from diorama as you suggested.

But there will be diorama for nothing. But I think, its lego after all, to alter that second diorama and make it different to main diorama. Aka dont mirroring them.

8 minutes ago, Ondra said:

I think that it will be. Pyramid will be on separate baseplate and it can be detached from diorama as you suggested.

But there will be diorama for nothing. But I think, its lego after all, to alter that second diorama and make it different to main diorama. Aka dont mirroring them.

It will be interesting to see whether Lego offer instructions for completing the pyramid, or whether they just leave it to the AFOL community to find our own solutions.

All this discussion and description sounds to me like it will very similar in size, layout and scope as the Pharaoh's Quest scorpion pyramid, except "adultified".

Edited by Lucarex

56 minutes ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

It will be interesting to see whether Lego offer instructions for completing the pyramid, or whether they just leave it to the AFOL community to find our own solutions.

On promobricks they said, that it will act like modular building conectivity aka technic hole brick for inserting pin of second part of pyramid.

Promobricks is most reliable source, so there it is.

4 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

All this discussion and description sounds to me like it will very similar in size, layout and scope as the Pharaoh's Quest scorpion pyramid, except "adultified".

Really adultified, its architecture after all. This set sounds really grandious for around 1500 pieces. I cannot imagine it from my head, it will be brickbuild pyramid or pyramid made by plates? Too many questions.

1 hour ago, Ondra said:

On promobricks they said, that it will act like modular building conectivity aka technic hole brick for inserting pin of second part of pyramid.

Yes, I'm aware of the connectivity. Not quite what I meant :)

45 minutes ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

Yes, I'm aware of the connectivity. Not quite what I meant :)

Now I understand, you mean interiors of pyramid to be mirrored?

I dont think that will happen, it will be nice to have altered instructions for second set. I look on some photos of supposed pyramid location, and there is village on another side of that pyramid if I understand whole diorama.

Maybe it is possible to made some small village from parts of main set minus pyramid-

Who knows, 1 of May is not too far, all sets were presented one month prior release.

Im somewhat really excited about this architecture set, so I did some calculating based on data provided by Promobricks.

Set is 46 studs wide and 30 deep according to promobricks. There is always one stud black line on both sides. So this makes around 28 studs for pyramid, I assume there will be probably another one studs gap on both sides just to look better. So 26 studs in wide for pyramid as I calculate. That would means height 25 bricks and thats about 24 centimetres in height for pyramid.

Pyramid is cut in half thats for one set 13 studs deep on baseplate.

4-6 studs is river Nile, that means around 25x28 studs for other buildings.

I think this is best I can imagine .

Edited by Ondra