Herky

Lego Architecture - rumors and discussion

On 12/11/2021 at 5:22 PM, TeriXeri said:

There are 2 "Postcard" sets for 2022 that somewhat resemble Architecture skyline at a smaller scale.

They are boxed under the Creator theme however.

40519: New York Postcard
40520: Beijing Postcard

Creator makes sense since they suggest the other recent Creator sets like the taxi , tuk tuk and train on the back as related vehicles for said postcard locations.

They are interesting sets, mostly "flat" since the postcard theme, but agree somewhat architectural.  I would not put them in the Architecture line per se though.  I think the majority of us are ready for some actual buildings, or even go back to the landmark style.  Should be easy to do a Pyramids of Giza or a Chichen Itza.  No one knows what goes through the minds over at TLG though.

With that piece count it most likely will not be another Skyline set (yay!). Hopefully a unique landmark or architect series is in the works.

Edited by Khanid

That sounds like a resonable part count. Still high, but not extraordinarily compared to previous sets. Where did you get this rumour from?

1 hour ago, Khanid said:

The same guy just posted another video saying that 21058 codename will be "Monuments of the World"

At 3:23 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrrfJl7Zl8

Possibly an Aztec Temple or Sphinx? 

Knowing TLG, it’ll just be a composite skyline of Eiffel, Liberty, Big Ben etc 🙄

Seriously though, if we take that codename to be a thinly-veiled reference to the modern day wonders of the world, there’s several standouts they haven’t touched before…

New Seven Wonders of the World
  • Great Wall of China. Great Wall of China. ...
  • Chichén Itzá, Mexico. ...
  • Petra. the Khaznah. ...
  • Machu Picchu, Peru. ...
  • Christ the Redeemer. Rio de Janeiro ...
  • Colosseum. Colosseum. ...
  • Taj Mahal. Taj Mahal.

Edited by Lucarex

Well we know it won't be Christ the Redeemer.  Macchu Picchu seems a bit difficult to me and I don't know if they would do Petra either.  I am going to guess Pyramids at Giza or the Chichen Itza pyramid or possibly the Sphinx.  Uluru would be ok, but not sure that is exciting.  I can think of a lot of others but if they do that skyline as you speak I might be done with this theme

Ui, not sure what to think about that title. I'd take a neat Macchu Picchu or even the pyramids, be they Egyptian or Mayan (albeit not too excitingly built, probably). But that title sounds rather like quite a broad and generic amalgamation of stuff. Even if it's just a codename, it's still plural.

I've still been engaged to the Architecture series and mostly enjoyed the sets, including the last two, despite a lot of pessimism from the hardcore crowd. But that really doesn't sound like a promising direction rather than Architecture genuinely jumping the shark of generic 18+ism fishing for new customers. Skylines are fine if you keep them confined to a single coherent city, but putting the world's top 5 sights into a single set? o_O

4 hours ago, Herky said:

Well we know it won't be Christ the Redeemer. 

I’m not so convinced TLG’s “religion avoidance” is still a thing (the reissue of the Taj Mahal for one thing) but either way, it’s still an iconic world famous statue synonymous with Brasil, on a continent long overdue representation in this theme. 

On 3/8/2022 at 5:04 PM, Lucarex said:

I’m not so convinced TLG’s “religion avoidance” is still a thing (the reissue of the Taj Mahal for one thing) but either way, it’s still an iconic world famous statue synonymous with Brasil, on a continent long overdue representation in this theme. 

I agree, but I just can't see Lego siding with religion using Christ the Redeemer and risk angering their market in Asia.  I would guess if they do South America, they go Macchu Picchu. I have actually been amazed that the Disney line never put anything out for Emperor's New Groove using Kusco, Kronk and Izma with llama animal moulds, it's almost too easy of a set to do, especially since most kids and teens love that movie, it's sequel and the tv series they did.  At least in the States, I am not sure how it played out in the other markets, but no matter.  South America and Africa are woefully under represented in Lego.  

Finally some promising news…

31207 Museum of Modern Art (MoMA New York)

2870 bricks

£69.99/€74.99/$79.99 

Released Jun 1st

Hopefully they do the building and atrium with garden, justice. 

Also hopefully TLG don’t let today’s stabbings/attack on museum staff by a disgruntled nutcase, affect anything like it did with the sheer horror of Mandalay Bay and the LV skyline.

Truly horrible thing to hear, thankfully all victims non-critical and stable it seems. 

Edited by Lucarex

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

2870 bricks

£69.99/€74.99/$79.99

Wow, that's rather unexpected. Though, I can't quite believe it yet really. The price sounds kind of way too low for that part count. It's also not a 21... Architecture set number, although the part count would be a bit much for that anyway (the price would be quite right, though, but as said they just don't seem to match anyway). But it's not a 10... Crerator Expert number either.

It rather seems like they're trying to start something rather new there (although clearly oriented towards 18+ non-LEGO-affiliated customers of course). Therefore I wouldn't even bet that the building and its architecture are remotely center of the attention. It might be something entirely different, like an homage to various pieces from the MoMA or just something generically "artsy", or some collaboration with the MoMA. It could really be anything but a building.

Not sure where you got these rumours from. It also seems oddly coincident with that mentioned accident. Not that it's just some kind of bad joke or anything.

EDIT: Actually, the set number fits pretty much into the LEGO Art Mosaic series, which explains the low prize per part (and also fits to the part count). I'm quite sure it's just a mosaic of famous MoMA works or whatever.

Edited by Rauy

On 3/14/2022 at 3:00 PM, Lucarex said:

Finally some promising news…

2870 bricks

£69.99/€74.99/$79.99 

Released Jun 1st

Hopefully they do the building and atrium with garden, justice. 

Also hopefully TLG don’t let today’s stabbings/attack on museum staff by a disgruntled nutcase, affect anything like it did with the sheer horror of Mandalay Bay and the LV skyline.

Truly horrible thing to hear, thankfully all victims non-critical and stable it seems. 

I believe that this is going to be an Art piece like the Elvis and Warhol and items like that.  MOMA is home to Starry Night so that might be the item they picked?  Kind of interesting item, but certainly not the building or architecture per se if you ask me.

On 3/21/2022 at 4:55 PM, Herky said:

I believe that this is going to be an Art piece like the Elvis and Warhol and items like that.  MOMA is home to Starry Night so that might be the item they picked?  Kind of interesting item, but certainly not the building or architecture per se if you ask me.

Yeah i think you are right it’s going to be an Art set, take a look at set number. 

On 3/7/2022 at 11:01 PM, Khanid said:

The same guy just posted another video saying that 21058 codename will be "Monuments of the World"

At 3:23 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrrfJl7Zl8

Possibly an Aztec Temple or Sphinx? 

Just as a heads up "monuments of the world" is a codename for the set sadly from a retailer.

It's most likely one monument of the world rather than several :laugh:

It's a slap in the face for architecture fans. They won't give us interesting buildings because, presumably, we are not profitable enough, but they will happily burn some money for freebies for their staff. They did not have to badge this as part of the 'Architecture' range. 

Time to retire the theme, before it was moribund, now it is moribund and insulting.

13 hours ago, Khanid said:

Has anyone seen this new 4000038 Architecture Lego Campus? Sadly, it seems it will only be for Lego employees or someone who visits the Lego House. I might try and source the pieces from bricklink or something. I think it looks really nice. 

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-architecture-4000038-lego-campus/

It’s a lovely set and I imagine that within the year, it’ll be sold openly in Billund. 

In fact, it’s basically the next LEGI House 21037 (which was sold at Billund and eventually even went online S@H in the UK and Europe for a limited time). It’s just employees get the early VIP treatment here. 

That’s what I’m hoping anyway - and reassured by the Architecture branding also - because if this really is a one-off exclusive for employees and Campus launch opening guests only, it’s a massive slap in the face of us Architecture fans and god knows we’ve had a good few slaps already over the past few years.  

Edited by Lucarex

At least they had sense enough to not give it a 210... set number, so they kind of pretend it's not an actual Architecture set. Although it still bears the Architecture logo, which is a rather dumb compromise then and sure to cause enough collector's urge (I certainly want one). It really feels a bit unfortunate to see this beautiful building when the plebs can then buy the 5th iteration of the Eiffel Tower instead. But alas, employee presents don't have to be mainstream-marketable.

However, the 4000... set number is why I think this unfortunately won't ever make its way into public access (other than ebay for 500€) rather than staying a limited employee present forevermore, like those Christmas exclusives. The LEGO House is publicly buyable in unlimited quantities, but that also bears a proper 210... Architecture number.

On 4/6/2022 at 7:30 AM, Rauy said:

At least they had sense enough to not give it a 210... set number, so they kind of pretend it's not an actual Architecture set. Although it still bears the Architecture logo, which is a rather dumb compromise then and sure to cause enough collector's urge (I certainly want one). It really feels a bit unfortunate to see this beautiful building when the plebs can then buy the 5th iteration of the Eiffel Tower instead. But alas, employee presents don't have to be mainstream-marketable.

However, the 4000... set number is why I think this unfortunately won't ever make its way into public access (other than ebay for 500€) rather than staying a limited employee present forevermore, like those Christmas exclusives. The LEGO House is publicly buyable in unlimited quantities, but that also bears a proper 210... Architecture number.

Agreed, to me this is not an official Architecture set since it doesn't have an Architecture them set number.  I would like to purchase it of course, but the cheapest eBay price I have seen is $600 USD.  Nope...I am in at $150 at most.  Speaking of the MoMA set from a few posts back, I visited MoMA last week.  I am not sure how they will do this set after seeing the museum in person.  The 5th floor, which houses the most famous paintings including Van Gogh, Dali, Matisse, Seurat, etc...is certainly a showstopper, but I kind of got bored after the 4th floor.  The sculpture garden is kind of cool but not enough pieces.  

The other post that caught my eye is that Monuments of the World is not the official title of the set.  Actually gives me hope for a nice landmark of some sort.  We are 6 weeks away from that release so hopefully we see more.  Lego certainly is keeping a tight lid on set releases these days.

How can we be this close to the release date and have no idea what it is? I can't imagine it will be released on that date and will end up being put back 

6 hours ago, Fairsy said:

How can we be this close to the release date and have no idea what it is? I can't imagine it will be released on that date and will end up being put back 

Lego has continuously been cautious with their press releases.  For ex, the new UCS Landspeeder just announced yesterday, and it is available May 1.  That's two weeks basically.  I would say we get something mid May for the June 1 releases.  May 4th is huge for Lego SW so they are not going to release something in competition with those sets...after then, maybe.  

18 hours ago, Fairsy said:

21058 has not been delayed. TLG are just doing really well at keeping a lid on this one.

‘An online listing for 21058 The Great Pyramid of Giza has appeared, suggesting that a rumoured LEGO Architecture set may have a different name.

21058 The Great Pyramid of Giza has 1,476 pieces for €139.99 according to online retailer Wagner’s. Given the set number, it seems likely that this is a LEGO Architecture model since it comes after 21057 Singapore, the last build in the theme to be released.’

Source - Brick Fanatics

I am looking forward to seeing this set.