Herky

Lego Architecture - rumors and discussion

8 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

St Mark’s basilica in the Venice Skyline set.

As for large sets, the reissued Taj Mahal may have been Creator Expert themed but it’s an Architecture set in all but name. 

Hmm ok good point. Does that mean a St Basil cathedral would be possible as a set then?

Now that Las Vegas and Shanghai have been retired, maybe soon Lego will announce their next sets. I know it is very unlikely, but I am hoping that Lego will release another Las Vegas set, perhaps under the name 'Las Vegas Strip'.

3 hours ago, ThomasCampbell said:

Now that Las Vegas and Shanghai have been retired, maybe soon Lego will announce their next sets. I know it is very unlikely, but I am hoping that Lego will release another Las Vegas set, perhaps under the name 'Las Vegas Strip'.

Las Vegas was a poor choice IMO and for me, the epitome of “LEGO Tourist Traps” theme that Architecture has become.

It should have been canned after the Mandalay Bay delay.

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

Las Vegas was a poor choice IMO and for me, the epitome of “LEGO Tourist Traps” theme that Architecture has become.

It should have been canned after the Mandalay Bay delay.

I really liked the set, but I think that if they had replaced the Luxor, Fremont, and Strat, it would be a much better set. If they added in the Caesars Palace, The Excalibur, Harrah's, Sahara, Mirage, or the MGM Grand,  they would be replacing the more 'touristy' hotels and more celebrating the largely diverse architecture that Las Vegas has.

Edited by ThomasCampbell

On 4/27/2021 at 12:37 PM, DBlegonerd7 said:

When new Archiecture sets will be revealed usually? 

Since 2018, they have released two skylines and two landmark sets. Unfortunately, as it was mentioned earlier in the thread, Lego is moving away from the 'architect', and into the 'landmark'. (Yes, I know they are actually the same). The last 'Architect' set was 21017, Imperial Hotel in 2013. That said, it doesn't mean that the landmark line doesn't have potential. What it is currently is a bunch of famous buildings, mostly chosen because of their height or history. I think that there are some good buildings they could make that aren't 'touristy' but don't really fall under the architect category. Transamerica Pyramid, Turning Torso, Al Hamra Tower, Canton Tower, or the Burj Al Arab.

Edited by ThomasCampbell

On 4/27/2021 at 2:37 PM, DBlegonerd7 said:

When new Archiecture sets will be revealed usually? 

Architecture is usually revealed the same time as other January 1 sets. However, since no new sets were released in January of 2021, there was no announcement.  We are now into May basically and still no new announcement.  The most we have is a placeholder for a set that is August 1.  It is super disappointing.  It was said that the designer for the Colosseum is the designer for Architecture, so since that came out that is why, but I kind of call BS on that.  The Colosseum design was probably done at least 6-8 months before release, so what has the designer been doing in the meantime because we know it is NOT designing Architecture sets.  The line actually may be dead, we really don't know.  The original designer who created the series was Adam Reed Tucker who left Lego and started his own company (Atom Bricks).  I would say if Adam was still around, we would have more buildings vs landmarks...in any case, you can probably sense my frustration in this post, but I really would like to see this line continued and tired of nothing in 2021 yet.

12 minutes ago, BRIX LIFE said:

Hi Guys,

any information about some new skylines sets ?

No.  

On 4/29/2021 at 10:27 PM, Herky said:

It was said that the designer for the Colosseum is the designer for Architecture, so since that came out that is why, but I kind of call BS on that.  The Colosseum design was probably done at least 6-8 months before release, so what has the designer been doing in the meantime because we know it is NOT designing Architecture sets.

I know that there's a Creator Expert/18+/Advanced Models Camp Nou set coming out later this year - could they be doing that now?  And maybe that's why there hasn't been more architecture recently.

Was just going to post that Steve, just unbelievable news out of Lego.  Why do we need 3 Taj Mahals?  I will get it to keep going on the series but so disappointed.  I am looking forward more to Camp Nou than this thing.  Boo Lego!

19 minutes ago, Herky said:

Was just going to post that Steve, just unbelievable news out of Lego.  Why do we need 3 Taj Mahals?  I will get it to keep going on the series but so disappointed.  I am looking forward more to Camp Nou than this thing.  Boo Lego!

It's not my top choice. However I never purchased the creator Taj Mahal. Due to size and price. 

so yes it's disappointing. But there were other possible remakes that I'd be more disappointed with. I'm going to count this as a slight win. 

As necessary as another Big Ben or White House... I miss the Architecture line of ten years ago....

While it's a nice improvement from the original, it just strikes me as an incredibly uncreative choice from LEGO when there are endless other possibilities!

With each new wave, I fear that LEGO only keeps this theme around for tourist appeal. The last niche set was the remake of the Guggenheim. It's sad too, considering the plethora of new parts and techniques introduced in these past five years.

That being said, this choice isn't half bad. I like the design of the Taj Mahal, and I think it's translated pretty well here. Two glaring issues to me are the frames and the central dome. The frames would've benefitted from being wide, instead of thin and tall. And the central dome seems just a tad short to me. Also not convinced by the use of those droid arms. Other than that, the design looks incredibly intricate. All those 1x1s will be a pain to align for anyone who builds this...

6 hours ago, Steve309 said:

It's not my top choice. However I never purchased the creator Taj Mahal. Due to size and price. 

so yes it's disappointing. But there were other possible remakes that I'd be more disappointed with. I'm going to count this as a slight win. 

I'm a bit on the fence here. On the one hand I'm really disappointed about the less than creative choice of the Taj Mahal, as there would have been so many never before made interesting and architecturally valuable buildings, so that almost any other building would have made me happier. I also don't like Lego's growing gigantism, every set for adults has to be at least 2000 parts! I miss some mid-sized 50 to 80 Euro sets in this line.

On the other hand I have never bought the Creator Expert Taj Mahal for different reasons and I'm sort of a completionist for the Architecture line. Added to that I've managed to buy almost all Architecture sets with a discoint of about 40%, so that would put this in the 80 euro range and then I guess I will probably buy this one anyway and hope for an interesting build next time 🤷‍♂️

I couldn’t be more underwhelmed or disappointed. Talk about phoning it in. This theme is done as far as I’m concerned. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Lucarex

It's a shame that TLG is now so focussed on easy/obvious choices. I was brought back from the dark ages by the opportunity to build and explore Le Corbusier and Frank Lloyd Wright, not dreary tourist traps like Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square (I come from London). Taj Mahal is most certainly not my thing, but I can see the appeal. I am sure TLG will sell plenty of them.

I now prefer to explore my architectural interests through MOCing, so I am not so bothered that I'm not being inspired by these sets, my own builds are more interesting to me.

I purely collect Architecture sets, and don't have the other Taj Mahal's so am pleased with this news - looks a really nice set - and not the vast size of the Creator series

33 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

It's a shame that TLG is now so focussed on easy/obvious choices. I was brought back from the dark ages by the opportunity to build and explore Le Corbusier and Frank Lloyd Wright, not dreary tourist traps like Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square (I come from London). Taj Mahal is most certainly not my thing, but I can see the appeal. I am sure TLG will sell plenty of them.

I now prefer to explore my architectural interests through MOCing, so I am not so bothered that I'm not being inspired by these sets, my own builds are more interesting to me.

I know what you mean. I'm doing a rebrick of Robie House at the moment and that's real architecture. However, I understand why TLG are going for such well-known landmarks and I actually don't mind that too much. But I would have preferred more unique buildings that they had never done before to Taj Mahal and a smaller (and more affordable) version of the Collosseum (, which of course, strictly speaking isn't in the Architecture line).

Regarding MOCs, I'm unfortunately rather bad at that, my only attempts so far have been some digital renditions of Skylines of Lübeck and San Francisco (before that became an official set), which looked ok but not overwhelming.🙃

16 minutes ago, Fairsy said:

I purely collect Architecture sets, and don't have the other Taj Mahal's so am pleased with this news - looks a really nice set - and not the vast size of the Creator series

That's what makes this choice ok if not exciting for me.

Edited by Greshi210

I must be the only person who’s happy about this, saying that I always wanted the Taj Mahal Creator expert set but wasn’t going to shell out £200+ for it. It’s a nice set, though I hope skylines come back soon! 

1 hour ago, Greshi210 said:

I understand why TLG are going for such well-known landmarks and I actually don't mind that too much

The Robie House *is* a well-known landmark...

I put it to you that, on the other hand, that the "Jumeirah Emirates Towers Hotel", the "Dubai Frame", the "Mode Gakuen Cocoon Tower", "555 California Street", the "CNA Center" (I lived in Chicago for 4 years and didn't give that carbuncle a second look), the "Bellagio Hotel LLC" and the "Encore at the Wynn" are not.

IMO Architecture has been on a downward spiral since the release of the Villa Savoye... I resent the release of landmarks such as Trafalgar Square and (part of) the Louvre rather than smaller buildings of more niche appeal that could spark a more focused interest in architecture in a member of the public.

Edited by jimmynick

Wow, desperate for Architecture news I've read up on this thread and it's interesting to see this discussion. And just as I was to post a piece of mind about the lack of information, suddenly we got actual news! But like many, I'm not entirely sure what to think about it yet.

While I understand the general complaints about the series's direction and would also appreciate some more emphasis on architecture again, I think that train has left and I personally don't have too much of a problem with the more tourist-oriented sets nowadays. I also like the Skyline series a lot. I was dissappointed a little last year. I think the skylines were good (not perfect maybe, but solid skylines). But while the White House of course looks great, I think it was an unnecessary remake. The old Adam Reed Tucker model to me still holds up with newer sets and the remake didn't really add as much as e.g. the Empire State or Guggenheim remakes, except for a bit more SNOT and some side wings. Someone brought up the Forbidden City as a possible topic for the new one and I would have appreciate that a lot, too.

I'm a bit torn on this one. We didn't have a Taj Mahal in the Architecture series so far and I think it's generally a good choice (as I said, the times we got Wright and Le Corbusier here are over and I can live with that). I would also have really liked the Collosseum as a smaller Architecture version instead of this 2 million parts monster. But still, while I don't have a big problem with the fact that we already have the huge version (which I don't currently own anyway), I do agree it also kind of feels a little bit like a cheap move, especially considering that it so far seems to be the only set this year. I'm also not the biggest fan of the Architecture sets getting bigger and bigger, since I think the series lives from its small scale and easy collectibility. The White House also was rather the top end of the size spectrum, I think. However, judging from the box, the size seems okay for an Architecture set and I guess a lot of the pieces go into details. For these 2000 pieces the price is also okay and Architecture is generally worth its price and bargained anyway.

All in all, I'm first and foremost happy we even got news and I think the set itself looks great. But I also can't shake the strange by-taste all this remakery and size increasery comes with. It really bothers me a little that we haven't gotten anything this year so far except for a single set that's not even entirely original. I didn't know that they blamed the Collosseum for that (but I'm also not quite sure I really buy that). With their recent 18+ PR mumbojumbo, it's a bit sad that THE classic 18+ series seems to be neglected currently.

But I guess in the end I'm first and foremost looking forward to the set and hoping the best for the rest of the series.

Pretty disappointed with this release to be honest. Although I’ll still be getting it because of missing out on the creator models due to money and size, this feels like a cheats way out of adding something beneficial to the line. I don’t see how Lego can say they won’t create models of religious significance but then release a third set of this! There’s so many more beautiful buildings they could have chosen, St Basils being one. It’s moved too much into a ‘Landmark’ range rather than architecture which is quite an upset so will probably stop purchasing these sets if they don’t up their game. 

it’s a good price for a smaller model but still feels like a cop out of a set

4 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Calling it now, next year we’ll see a scaled down Colosseum :hmpf:

i’d be inclined to agree, if not next year, the year after next