Herky

Lego Architecture - rumors and discussion

39 minutes ago, Aliander101 said:

Wow. Hello to you too. I joined the forum for the reason of passing on information I’ve been told / heard from other friends in the Lego chain. Are you this rude with everyone passing on information they’ve received because they thought others may like to know?

I only found this website yesterday otherwise would have shared sooner. At this point any info is worth sharing as we haven’t heard anything? Sorry, thought we were all here to discuss rumours / share info, or is that not how a forum works ‘buddy’?

The space needle thing is irrelevant surely as we’ve had reproductions of the Empire State, Burj Khalifa and the White House with Burj also featuring in the Dubai skyline so there’s every chance. Purely passing on information. Thanks for the lovely welcome, one of the best I’ve had! 

You’re right, and I do apologise for the less than warm welcome. Just there’s been a spate of recent new members giving it all that recently (the Ninjago threads in particular), and it just gets a bit tiresome.

Not saying your friends are speculating, but you have to understand the scepticism. Lego employees are out of the loop in terms of upcoming sets, unless they’re on the design teams in Billund and if so, they know not to share info. There’s been no reliably sourced rumours from anywhere other than this largish set coming in August.

As for passing on information, sure that’s what goes on here, but there’s been a lot of discussion in this thread (and the lack of activity) so it helps to read up on that first.

You’re right about remakes of course, and Seattle is possible but it would be a strange one given my point about the architecture. Space Needle aside it’s a fairly generic North American vista in my opinion.

Anyway, sorry again for snapping, stick around and welcome to EB.

Edited by Lucarex

Just some context also...we’re all a bit strung out on both the hiatus in this theme and the cause (the Colosseum discussion was very controversial, both the design, LEGO’s “biggest set” obsession, even the colours which caused one of our well respected Italian - and Roman - members to have a bit of a meltdown. There’s also the general trend of this theme away from its origins and towards the “tourist attraction” market.

Add to that, the issue of remakes is itself a bit sensitive. There’s a lot of boredom and whilst you have ones that improve the original models (White House), there are others that don’t (yeah looking at you Burj). It just gets a bit boring and the lack of creativity grates a little. So unfortunately a case of shooting the messenger if your info proves accurate.

7 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Just some context also...we’re all a bit strung out on both the hiatus in this theme and the cause (the Colosseum discussion was very controversial, both the design, LEGO’s “biggest set” obsession, even the colours which caused one of our well respected Italian - and Roman - members to have a bit of a meltdown. There’s also the general trend of this theme away from its origins and towards the “tourist attraction” market.

Add to that, the issue of remakes is itself a bit sensitive. There’s a lot of boredom and whilst you have ones that improve the original models (White House), there are others that don’t (yeah looking at you Burj). It just gets a bit boring and the lack of creativity grates a little. So unfortunately a case of shooting the messenger if your info proves accurate.

Amen to all of this, couldn't have said it better.  

Could it be that there is something in the Seattle rumour?  Not a skyline, but a remake of the Seattle Space Needle?  Larger, more detailed set, to be released in August, maybe

2016 - Burj, 2017- The Guggenheim, 2019 - Empire State Building, 2020 - The White House.

All the remakes have been ones of the earlier sets, improving on the design, making them larger etc.  I wouldn't mind a larger Space Needle.

19 hours ago, Lucarex said:

You’re right, and I do apologise for the less than warm welcome. Just there’s been a spate of recent new members giving it all that recently (the Ninjago threads in particular), and it just gets a bit tiresome.

Not saying your friends are speculating, but you have to understand the scepticism. Lego employees are out of the loop in terms of upcoming sets, unless they’re on the design teams in Billund and if so, they know not to share info. There’s been no reliably sourced rumours from anywhere other than this largish set coming in August.

As for passing on information, sure that’s what goes on here, but there’s been a lot of discussion in this thread (and the lack of activity) so it helps to read up on that first.

You’re right about remakes of course, and Seattle is possible but it would be a strange one given my point about the architecture. Space Needle aside it’s a fairly generic North American vista in my opinion.

Anyway, sorry again for snapping, stick around and welcome to EB.

Oh I completely agree. Rumours at the end of the day are just that - rumours and should be taken with a pinch of salt. Apologies for coming in with the I know this attitude but I gather we’re all architecture fans and wanting to know of any sets coming our way to splash some cash on! I get the thread and have had a read this morning and get your point of view. But as you say here for discussion. 

Anything else I’d be weary to pay attention to but for a handful of people to all say about a Seattle Skyline coming seems pretty strong. Obviously not as strong as 20+, but still seems plausible as to my knowledge these guys don’t even know each other. 

I’d like a larger Seattle Space needle, I think it could be a pretty cool build. But info regarding skyline also seem quite strong. I guess we can only wait and see what comes out. On topic of discussion, what are you hoping for the large model? Part of me is hoping that it is a new model, but I’d also like a remake (and bigger version) of fallingwater. But I do agree, the remake and releases of Burj need to stop. Although the one in the Dubai Skyline does look pretty neat in my opinion. As does the Willis and John Hancock centre on the Chicago skyline. 

No worries at all, I get we’re you’re coming from and understand (add stress of what is going on) anyway. Enough said, here to talk Lego right?! 

Appreciate you accepting my apology, we’re all good.

If you haven’t already, make yourself a coffee and read the mental Colosseum thread and see just how polarising this theme has become.

I always welcome new sets/subjects even if I don’t personally feel them. I loved the Trevi Fountain and hoped for more releases in this vein (such as Notre-Dame or Sagrada Familia), alongside more modern architecture but I’ve long since given up any hope of this.

An updated (with newer elements and more refined building techniques) FallingWater would be fantastic but zero chance, especially since ART left LEGO and took his relationship with the FLW Foundation. He subsequently agreed a license for his own new company (Atom Bricks - Tom Alphin a EB member here did a great review here)

Even recent sets which have been impressive (Trafalgar Square springs to mind) have had very questionable (I’m being kind) architectural merit and have focused more on “tourist sightseeing”.

So at this point, I don’t really know what to expect anymore. The Forbidden City guess seems to make a lot of sense. Don’t think anyone had even mentioned Seattle before you raised it,  but if I’m being honest, it’d still be a typically lazy set for LEGO to dial in, just as an updated standalone Eiffel Tower would be. I’m surprised they didn’t already go down this route after Statue of Liberty. Iconic landmarks are easier as there’s only so many Skylines you can do. 

That said, there’s still a number of interesting and even iconic skylines still to me made. Personally I’d like to see Rio de Janiero and Liverpool amongst others. 

5 hours ago, Lucarex said:

If you haven’t already, make yourself a coffee and read the mental Colosseum thread and see just how polarising this theme has become.

I always welcome new sets/subjects even if I don’t personally feel them. I loved the Trevi Fountain and hoped for more releases in this vein (such as Notre-Dame or Sagrada Familia), alongside more modern architecture but I’ve long since given up any hope of this.

An updated (with newer elements and more refined building techniques) FallingWater would be fantastic but zero chance, especially since ART left LEGO and took his relationship with the FLW Foundation. He subsequently agreed a license for his own new company (Atom Bricks - Tom Alphin a EB member here did a great review here)

Even recent sets which have been impressive (Trafalgar Square springs to mind) have had very questionable (I’m being kind) architectural merit and have focused more on “tourist sightseeing”.

So at this point, I don’t really know what to expect anymore. The Forbidden City guess seems to make a lot of sense. Don’t think anyone had even mentioned Seattle before you raised it,  but if I’m being honest, it’d still be a typically lazy set for LEGO to dial in, just as an updated standalone Eiffel Tower would be. I’m surprised they didn’t already go down this route after Statue of Liberty. Iconic landmarks are easier as there’s only so many Skylines you can do. 

That said, there’s still a number of interesting and even iconic skylines still to me made. Personally I’d like to see Rio de Janiero and Liverpool amongst others. 

I’ll give the colosseum thread a read for sure. Sounds like I’m going to be in for a fun read! Trevi fountain was a nice set I’ll agree, even if the base was a bit of pain to construct at first. The overal aesthetic of the model is great. ART leaving was a great shame. I’d absolutely love more FLW sets, especially Ennis house. Although some may see it as bland, I think it could be quite a nice addition to the FLW sets, along with a high number of his designs. 

I completely agree with the tourist comment, however much I love Statue of Liberty, it does very much feel that TLG are seeing these as architecture worthy. Which, although they are, to me it’s not what the architecture range should be about. There are so many buildings and architects out there which are not touristy attractions that would look incredible as part of the range. 

Skylines I agree - Rio would be great, as would Rome, Toronto, Moscow and even Tel Aviv I think could make some interesting sets. I’d like Edinburgh too, but that’s purely as it’s my favourite City in the U.K. 

It does upset me that TLG don’t really do anything in the way of ‘market research’ with some of the ranges. Architecture is crying out for it. Unless they do and I’ve completely missed it? 

Off to read the colosseum thread and by the sounds of it I should get the popcorn ready.

22 minutes ago, Aliander101 said:

It does upset me that TLG don’t really do anything in the way of ‘market research’ with some of the ranges. Architecture is crying out for it. Unless they do and I’ve completely missed it? 

Nope, they don’t and so you haven’t.

6 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Well... the colosseum thread was a fun read! I’ll agree with you, a scaled down colosseum would be nice (mainly because then I’d be able to afford it, let alone fit it in my flat) however I think with the release of the large scale model they wouldn’t do this as it would detract sales from the larger (and much pricier) set which to me, from purely a business point of view, wouldn’t pay off making money back invested into the large model. 

I also hoped in vain that the Great Wall of China may possibly lead to other similar sets like Angkor Wat or Machu Picchu, but LEGO are a bit weird about religious links (especially since the furore around Jabba’s Palace) despite the Taj Mahal reissue and St Marks basilica in the Venice Skyline (suggesting it’s not a strict official policy).

Do people think that LEGO is running out of ideas for this theme? Yes there are so many more monuments they could do but maybe there is the issue of a set not selling in particular regions. For example, the Trafalgar Square set sold terrible here in Australia, I think it was 40-50% off at one point.

I could agree with it. It seems odd that they would make some religious buildings but not others. I’d love Angkor Wat and would be interesting to see the reasonings behind this not becoming a set. Whether it’s for religious reasons, or just one that TLG haven’t thought of. It’s a similar situation in my eyes to the twin towers. Many people have longed for a set of them but say TLG wouldn’t out of respect to 9/11 and the 2,977 who lost their lives on that day, but will feature the one world trade centre in the New York skyline which feels abit backwards. As in the one world trade centre only came to be as a result of 9/11. I understand it’s in the NY skyline and has become a beacon for some people. But by my understanding if you won’t make the twin towers then the OWTC also shouldn’t feature. Just my thoughts. 

3 minutes ago, User5346 said:

Do people think that LEGO is running out of ideas for this theme? Yes there are so many more monuments they could do but maybe there is the issue of a set not selling in particular regions. For example, the Trafalgar Square set sold terrible here in Australia, I think it was 40-50% off at one point.

Feel there is an element of that yes. But, this could also be down to the design team either needing a shake up or suggestions from those who buy the range and have invested a lot of money into it. It would be disheartening to see the Architecture line go, especially with how many great architectural marvels there are in the world.

Here’s one of my favourite arch MOCs and not just of last year. Stunning.

Puts the Colosseum to shame, doesn’t it?

Edited by Lucarex

1 minute ago, Lucarex said:

Here’s one of my favourite arch MOCs and not just of last year. Stunning.

That’s incredible! Take note Lego is all I can say 

I jus looked at Tokyo Skyline (form Lego Shop website) for some time. I am hoping taht Lego should develop some standalone games buildings that are from Tokyo like Skytree and Shibuya Crossing. 

Forbidden City sounds really neat, also.

1 hour ago, ThomasCampbell said:

I am hoping for a Canadian Skyline. Calgary would be really cool. 

Welcome to Eurobricks! 

That actually sounds pretty cool! And I’m hoping for Toronto skyline but I don’t think it has some well-known buildings other than CN Tower.

The Architecture line has always felt disappointing to me - premium price for lackadaisical sets.  I am hoping for some more large scale, iconic structures that can actually depict some details.

Instead of skyline (or even NYC-based) sets, I hope we can get some set of various architectural masterpieces.

Edited by alvinofdiaspar

10 hours ago, alvinofdiaspar said:

The Architecture line has always felt disappointing to me - premium price for lackadaisical sets.  I am hoping for some more large scale, iconic structures that can actually depict some details.

Instead of skyline (or even NYC-based) sets, I hope we can get some set of various architectural masterpieces.

By large set, are you talking about Creator Expert’s Big Ben (Elizabeth Town) from 2016, right? 

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

By large set, are you talking about Creator Expert’s Big Ben (Elizabeth Town) from 2016, right? 

Yes, I think Elizabeth Tower strikes a good balance in terms of the scale and affordability.

On March 31, 2021 at 5:26 PM, User5346 said:

Do people think that LEGO is running out of ideas for this theme? 

A quick review of UNESCO heritage sites shows that there is no shortage of subject matter with cultural, historical and architectural significance that they _could_ explore (and plenty of "modern wonders" that haven't made the list yet).  They do constrain themselves a bit in that many of the best/most interesting architectural subjects are also places of religious significant as well, so that knocks a lot of churches, cathedrals, temples, mosques and shrines off the list (pity, really, as some of these examples are stunning works of art in their own right whether you share the convictions of the original designers/builders or not), but with roughly six thousand of years of human civilization to draw from, I think there's still plenty of room for fresh models.

I can understand why you would ask the question though.  While I like many of  the "revisits" they've done of late better than the originals, it does tend to make the theme seem a bit tired.  Personally, I'm kinda over the whole skyline sub-theme.  The first couple forays were interesting (if redundant, subject matter wise); increasing, it feels like just an excuse to overcharge for a bunch of 1x1 and 1x2 plates rather than a "real" Architecture kit.

On March 31, 2021 at 3:39 AM, MartyMcFly said:

Could it be that there is something in the Seattle rumour?  Not a skyline, but a remake of the Seattle Space Needle?  Larger, more detailed set, to be released in August, maybe

2016 - Burj, 2017- The Guggenheim, 2019 - Empire State Building, 2020 - The White House.

All the remakes have been ones of the earlier sets, improving on the design, making them larger etc.  I wouldn't mind a larger Space Needle.

While I'd _prefer_ something fresh, I can't say I'd object to a Space Needle revisit on par with the scale of the Empire State Building or Statue of Liberty models. Say something 35-40 cm (14-16 inches) tall?  That would have potential to be interesting without breaking the bank piece-wise and still fit on a shelf.

I just finished building my first ever architecture set last week, (the Dubai skyline). This allowed me to get a better understanding of the theme and I think that the idea is fantastic as it has the ability to reach a variety of audiences, LEGO fans, or not. 
I’ve come to realise that the ideas of subject matter are slowly running out though. By doing a quick google search of famous landmarks shows most being religious related or being done before within the theme. This could be why the theme sees so little sets each year, (and maybe none this year). There are still some places that LEGO could replicate as skylines (Rome, Singapore) and a few landmarks as well (pyramids, Petra), but wow is it actually hard to find globally known landmarks that LEGO would consider doing.

On 4/17/2021 at 1:06 AM, ShaydDeGrai said:

They do constrain themselves a bit in that many of the best/most interesting architectural subjects are also places of religious significant as well, so that knocks a lot of churches, cathedrals, temples, mosques and shrines

Have to agree, a very annoying boundary that I doubt LEGO will ever cross - a huge shame.

12 minutes ago, User5346 said:

Have to agree, a very annoying boundary that I doubt LEGO will ever cross - a huge shame.

They’ve crossed it before and recently too.

6 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

They’ve crossed it before and recently too.

When?

3 minutes ago, User5346 said:

When?

St Mark’s basilica in the Venice Skyline set.

As for large sets, the reissued Taj Mahal may have been Creator Expert themed but it’s an Architecture set in all but name. 

Edited by Lucarex