Sign in to follow this  
djm

[MOC] Minifig Mover

Over on the Train forum a few months ago, @SavaTheAggie posted about his MOC called Quarter Scale Rail:

Having worked out how the chain was made by watching the video, that post inspired me to come up with a MOC to allow moving Minifigs to be added to a MOC. The video below illustrates a sample of the Minifig Mover in action.

Cutting straight to the case, building instructions are available on rebrickable.com.

The primary design considerations were;

1. for it to be compatible with the MILS system
  2. it was desirable for it to be possible to be run very slowly
  3. make it suitable for incorporation into MOCs

Secondary design considerations were;

1. to be able to achieve a 180 degree turn within the with of a single baseplate
  2. to aim to have small modules which could be joined to form a larger be assembly

Comments/learnings/observations

• Each set of building instructions illustrates a baseplate within a building step. The baseplate is for reference purposes only and is not listed in the parts. The premise of including the baseplate is to show the relative placing of the parts with respect to a MILS baseplate.
  • Experience suggests that the channel in which the chain runs needs to be perhaps 22 LDUs (LDraw units) wide. This width is reflected in the construction. If you try to build the channel 20 LDUs wide (i.e. the width of a 1 x N brick) you will likely find it too tight for the chain to run smoothly.
  • The Minifig Mover is presented as a foundation on which to build. Thus, as can be seen in the video, the motor and tensioner assemblies are exposed. The suggestion is to build appropriate elements of a MOC to contain/hide these assemblies.
  • Via the MOC posting on Rebrickable, you can download not only the building instructions but the original LDraw files too. The premise of doing this is to encourage others to use the design as a starting point and then publish improvements or alternative track modules.

Regards,

David

Edited by djm

Nicely built, but I'd rather use a gray baseplate for it.

It looks a bit like the baggage carousel at an airport, with people riding it when they shouldn't be.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

It looks a bit like the baggage carousel at an airport, with people riding it when they shouldn't be.

I like this idea, do you think you could use the same mechanism to create something of the sort, OP?

4 hours ago, Classy Weasel said:

I like this idea, do you think you could use the same mechanism to create something of the sort, OP?

Well someone could. The LDraw files are available via rebrickable.com. The premise of the MOC is to serve as a foundation for others builders to incorporate into their own MOC.

David

I've been working on some refinements to the Mining Mover. This post provides an update of the changes that have been made, resulting in version 2 of the modules.

As with the original version, building instructions and LDraw files for each of the modules are available for download from rebrickable.com. This time they are available
as separate downloads rather than as a single zip file;

If you find ways to improve on the module, I would encourage you to post your changes here. One reason for providing the LDraw files for the modules is to make the generation of building instruction for any improvements easier.

Various Thoughts

• The clutch gear in the chain driver is pointless. The original premise was that it would be useful in the event of something jamming but if you hold the 12 tooth gear to simulate a jam, the clutch does not kick in as expected. You may as well save your money and use a standard 24 tooth gear instead.
  • The longer the chain, the more friction there is. The maximum length of the chain will ultimately be limited by friction. I don't know what that length is.
  • I'm pondering whether a variation of the chain tensioner using rubber bands would help dampen the slightly variable chain speed.
  • Be aware that the outer part of the track has a 2 LDU overlap to the next row of studs. The slot for the chain is 22 LDUs wide, so that the slot isn't slowing the chain due to it being tight. Building other parts of a MOC right up to the outer part of the track will need to bear that in mind. There is a potential remedy but that will create a footprint for the outer part of the track being 3 studs wide. I'll contemplate this further.
  • Construction of the chain does allow for some vertical play/curvature. The potential exists that a track could be designed to incorporate a slope.
  • I'd like to be able to use the Minifig Mover to move a LEGO horse. At the moment the Chain Driver is incapable of accommodating a horse. I'm currently experimenting with incorporating a driver into a corner module which will likely resolve this issue. Watch this space!
  • The modules have been designed to be able to be used within MILS modules. The premise is that the Chain Driver and Tensioner modules would be hidden from view within buildings. However, there should be nothing which prevents the track being elevated, hiding the Chain Driver and Tensioner lower down and then using tiles over where the Chain Driver and Tensioner are. While this would require more parts, it offers the potential to then have an unobstructed track. Is anyone up for the challenge?

Regards,

David