Ngoc Nguyen

42125 Ferrari 488 GTE “AF Corse #51”

30 minutes ago, lmdesigner42 said:

I feel like 42125 is slightly overpriced compared to recent sets in a similar price range. I did a little research (see below) and several other sets have better value in terms of number of pieces and functions/motorization. Even the most similar set, 42096, has a lower cost per piece. Maybe red parts cost more?

I know that red autimotive paint for example is more expensive than other colors because some kind of special clay is required to give the red color. But I dont think something like this would affect the price of  a LEGO product, because the cost of the actual product itself is just a fraction of the retail price. I think TLG just thought most people are still going to buy it for the higher price. And they were right! Its a Ferrari, of course it will sell very well.

Its just Like fashion shoes for example, Nike or Adidas can manufacture their shoes for a few dollars in India or china and people will still pay 100 or even 200+ dollars for them.

45 minutes ago, lmdesigner42 said:

Maybe red parts cost more?

Only if it's Ferrari red

1 hour ago, lmdesigner42 said:

I feel like 42125 is slightly overpriced compared to recent sets in a similar price range. I did a little research (see below) and several other sets have better value in terms of number of pieces and functions/motorization. Even the most similar set, 42096, has a lower cost per piece. Maybe red parts cost more?

price USD part count cents per piece    
42125 $170.00 1677 $0.10 licensed  
42113 $150.00 1636 $0.09 licensed PU
42096 $150.00 1580 $0.09 licensed  
42098 $180.00 2493 $0.07    
42078 $180.00 2595 $0.07 licensed  
42069 $180.00 2382 $0.08    
42054 $180.00 1977 $0.09 licensed PF

Piece count is a poor predictor of set price.  Set weight is better.  Better reflects actual ABS in package. Even better still would be to look at set weight and uniqueness (total piece count divided by lots) and see how all those relate to price.   

I have to say, that I am not that blown away by this one, and that is an understatement.  While some good new parts, and overall the shape is pretty good compared to the real car, there are some parts of the build that ruin it for me, like the flex axle above each door, and the headlights.

Also, given that this is a technic set, in my opinion it is pretty unforgivable if it doesn't have a gearbox.

Do we know if it has a differential yet and if its the new one or the older one?

I wonder if this model will also use the new alternating hole beams.

1 minute ago, Pvdb said:

I have to say, that I am not that blown away by this one, and that is an understatement.  While some good new parts, and overall the shape is pretty good compared to the real car, there are some parts of the build that ruin it for me, like the flex axle above each door, and the headlights.

Also, given that this is a technic set, in my opinion it is pretty unforgivable if it doesn't have a gearbox.

I think the flex axles above the door are right. It's the roof that seems off.

Just now, Pvdb said:

Has it dawned on any of us that the discussion lately about these 1/10 supercars is about SHAPE and SCALE rather than function?  Like many folks love it for these two qualities and these two qualities only.  While acknowledging there really are no functions (outside of the most basic suspension and steering, working fake engine).   Similar discussion regarding 42096.  How did we get here???

Throw me into the "what do these sets have to do with Technic" group.   I simply don't get it.  

I was gifted 42096 and I so wanted to return it.  I ended up using it as a parts pack but as a set it was completely vacuous.....

6 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Has it dawned on any of us that the discussion lately about these 1/10 supercars is about SHAPE and SCALE rather than function?  Like many folks love it for these two qualities and these two qualities only.  While acknowledging there really are no functions (outside of the most basic suspension and steering, working fake engine).   Similar discussion regarding 42096.  How did we get here???

Throw me into the "what do these sets have to do with Technic" group.   I simply don't get it.  

I was gifted 42096 and I so wanted to return it.  I ended up using it as a parts pack but as a set it was completely vacuous.....

It's hard to discuss about something we don't see and know of. We do see the shape and scale now. So don't go nuts :laugh:

Has it not been confirmed there is no gear box?  Or other functions outside as simple opening doors, hood?  Any other geared functions?   Admittedly, I have not yet read all 6 pages, but I have read several....

7 hours ago, vectormatic said:

I think partcount comparison between studfull and studless sets, or just sets 20+ (or even 10 years) ago is completely pointless. Price comparison is slightly more relevant, although taking inflation and standard of living developments over the same time in account makes it pretty hard as well. We dont buy the same things at the same intervals as our parents did, and our kids dont have the same lego experience, or just general life as we did at that age.

Sets should be evaluated in their current context, against other sets and the other forms of entertainment/hobbies available imho, as that is what are your actual options when it comes to current choices. If you do want to drag in old sets, then those should be evaluated with their current prices, the extremely limited availability, the fact that a 8880 with a box or non yellowed wheels is super-rare etc.. because that is the option as it presents itself today.

Still, it is easy to see lego could have put a lot more effort into this set, a 4 speed gearbox should just be in there, and given where the Chiron and Sian have gone, wouldnt even canibalize sales of the top tier stuff.

I think one point you're missing here is that all of those pre-2000 sets brought something new to the table. 8865 had proper suspension, Ackermann steering and hideaway headlights, 8880 had synchronized gearbox and four steered and driven wheels while 8448 expanded the gearbox and introduced a widely variable exterior styling. While nostalgia is naturally a factor, all of these earlier sets were truly innovative at their time while 42096 and 42125 don't seem to have anything new to show nor do they include any tried and true but still interesting functions like any construction machinery type set would. For some reason today's car sets don't even include stuff like adjustable seats or hideaway headlights which are of course nothing to write home about but still make a set feel like every part has received a proper consideration in design. Someone somewhere said that a Technic set should be only as large as is required for the functions and no more, and if you look at these sets from this point of view, almost any entry in the TC18 small car contest was at least as good.

Indeed these cars feel really half-assed effort on TLG's part as they could've been so much more.

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The flare is a separate piece. It has two pin holes at both ends.

They're axle holes, though in this case they just use blue 2L pin with axles, so aren't utilising them to lock the flares vertically. See 42125_Prod.jpg

Another medium sized race car ... Maybe a bit better than the 42096. Pff ... Would it not be more exciting for teenage boys to have a working chassis with motor, gears, suspension and to see how things work and move? A build that actually challenges them? I remember I needed help the first time I build the 853. Anyway, I still hope Lego will one day bring out a new chassis only flagship model that will make the new generation of boys dream like I did of the 853 and its successors.

1 minute ago, howitzer said:

Indeed these cars feel really half-assed effort on TLG's part as they could've been so much more.

I totally agree.  

Building those older sets as a 10 yr old actually taught me something!

I am not sure my kids would even want to bother with this one!!  I will certainly never build it!

Explain to me why everyone want gearbox in the models? Ok I know real car has gearbox but that's only one argumment? Becaus for me those gearbox are pointlles when it comes to extra function, bside more parts and longer build they I dont see why we need it. Its only fun when you connect motor to them so as I said I just dont see the point becasue they are mostly invisible and when put it shelves what matters is great look only.

18 minutes ago, Mane said:

Explain to me why everyone want gearbox in the models? Ok I know real car has gearbox but that's only one argumment? Becaus for me those gearbox are pointlles when it comes to extra function, bside more parts and longer build they I dont see why we need it. Its only fun when you connect motor to them so as I said I just dont see the point becasue they are mostly invisible and when put it shelves what matters is great look only.

Education my dear Watson..... Education.... 

32 minutes ago, Mane said:

Explain to me why everyone want gearbox in the models?

Because this is Technic, not Creator Expert, that’s why. I want to play with my sets.

Gearboxes are cool as hell, add useful pieces and they’re fun to build and shift. They give you something to learn about and to fiddle with. Sorry if I’m a bit defensive about this, but I hate the attitude that Technic shouldn’t need to be about functions.

Technic is NOT for display models, it’s for playing with, and I don’t say that with a gatekeeping attitude towards consumers - if you’re only interested in having it sit on the shelf that’s fine, but sets need stuff for those of us who want to take it down and fiddle with the gears from time to time.

How would you feel if they removed the suspension and working drivetrain? What if it was just a static model that could only steer?

33 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Because this is Technic, not Creator Expert, that’s why. I want to play with my sets.

Gearboxes are cool as hell, add useful pieces and they’re fun to build and shift.

Yes, and they're even cooler when they're not buried inside a model that's covered in panels.  I really don't see the appeal of an 8 speed gearbox that's not visible from the underneath, is covered by a detailed interior, and can only be seen during early stages of construction, with no wheels attached to drive it.

As such, this model (and the Porsche RSR) are excellent sets.  They offer enough functions (opening doors, hood, fake engine, suspension, steering) to satisfy the average Technic consumer.  There's a limited number of functions that can be fitted onto a race car.  I would rather see a convertible roof, adjustable seats or ride height than some magical box buried deep inside the model that changes the engine RPM.  And it's not because I don't appreciate gearboxes, it's because I like being able to examine them from all angles to see how they work.

I really wanted to like this one, but I just don't. I get that the proportions are technically quite close to accurate, but they are off in subtle ways that kill the look for me. The wheels are a bit too big, the roofline is off (making it look like the car is leaning back rather than forwards - and I get that this is exaggerated by following the A-pillars in the absence of a windscreen), and the ride height is far too high which immediately ruins the racing look of the car. When the functions are minimal you really have to nail the appearance, and I just dont think this one got it right.

48 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

I really don't see the appeal of an 8 speed gearbox that's not visible from the underneath, is covered by a detailed interior, and can only be seen during early stages of construction, with no wheels attached to drive it.

Sure, throw in some removable bodywork too, and leave a hole underneath so I can see the gearbox. I’d get behind that in a heartbeat.

There’s also much to be said about the value of the building process. It’s incredibly satisfying to build a gearbox, hit the shifter and then hear the click of everything moving into place.

I CANNOT for the life of me see how you can think this set has good value as a Technic set. Twice as much as 42077 and for what, more body pieces and a Ferrari sticker? I don’t think so. If it were $250 like the RSR then I could maybe understand (although it would still be a waste of pieces for an empty husk) but not $300. No way

1 hour ago, BusterHaus said:

There's a limited number of functions that can be fitted onto a race car.

Both this and the RSR don’t even come close to approaching the limit of race car functions

4 minutes ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

When the functions are minimal you really have to nail the appearance, and I just dont think this one got it right.

Agreed. The RSR was the same, but even worse in the aesthetic department. That thing looked like a frog

WHY WHY WHY!?

Why TLG has repeated the same mistakes again & again...

How many more complaints we need to stop them releasing a sticker-crazy model.

This set is too much different on with & without sticker IMHO.

I would dont mind they make this set abit more cost factored-in with all the sticker turned  into printed part.... 

Come on Lego!

Edited by Technicallism

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I CANNOT for the life of me see how you can think this set has good value as a Technic set. Twice as much as 42077 and for what, more body pieces and a Ferrari sticker? I don’t think so. If it were $250 like the RSR then I could maybe understand (although it would still be a waste of pieces for an empty husk) but not $300. No way

I would argue that the value of the set depends on who is buying it. The average Technic consumer will be very happy with the set, even at its MSRP. An AFOL that builds his own (advanced) mocs will not be impressed, as they will always shortcomings in a set designed for mass consumption. Someone who wants a parts pack (me) will appreciate the set, especially when buying it at a 30 percent discount.  For the record, I paid around $160 Canadian dollars for the RSR, and I expect the Ferrari to be priced similarly once it hits the discount retailers. They're fun builds for a reasonable price, offer a lot of parts for MOCs and don't set out to be Crowkiller-level creations.  They accomplish what they set out to do. 

3 hours ago, Technicallism said:

This set is too much different on with & without sticker IMHO.

Noone is pushing You to apply those stickers.

4 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

I would argue that the value of the set depends on who is buying it. The average Technic consumer will be very happy with the set, even at its MSRP. An AFOL that builds his own (advanced) mocs will not be impressed, as they will always shortcomings in a set designed for mass consumption. Someone who wants a parts pack (me) will appreciate the set, especially when buying it at a 30 percent discount.  For the record, I paid around $160 Canadian dollars for the RSR, and I expect the Ferrari to be priced similarly once it hits the discount retailers. They're fun builds for a reasonable price, offer a lot of parts for MOCs and don't set out to be Crowkiller-level creations.  They accomplish what they set out to do. 

I agree with this for the most part, only because it's through the lens of a serious discount. A 30% discount (~$210 price) would be pretty good value for the set, but that's irrelevant to my argument of $300 requiring more functions to justify the cost. I do not see retailers holding this at MSRP, and therefore completely disagree that the average Technic consumer will accept $300 for it.

Edited by Bartybum