Ngoc Nguyen

42125 Ferrari 488 GTE “AF Corse #51”

300 dollarydoos is a bit steep. Especially because big Australian retailers tend to have sales on Lego before Christmas and not afterwards.

4 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Positives... 3x13 red panel I need!!

negatives (ironically as per above positive) ...this is all about panels and looks. Should this really be technic direction? Sure the consumers will dictate. Not for me this one. The box shows Nothing in terms of ‘technic’

copious amount of stickers make it look like the real thing :iamded_lol:

Yep, it has a Technic label and is built of Technic parts, but I see almost nothing that makes this set actually Technic. 42096 was the same (I bought it with significant discount as a parts pack.)

14 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Yep, it has a Technic label and is built of Technic parts, but I see almost nothing that makes this set actually Technic. 42096 was the same (I bought it with significant discount as a parts pack.)

Totally agree. That's why I will never buy these cars. 1:8 supercars (Porsche, Bugatti and Lamborghini) are good but for me the pinnacle of Technic cars were these:

https://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5373312

2 minutes ago, Interceptor said:

Totally agree. That's why I will never buy these cars. 1:8 supercars (Porsche, Bugatti and Lamborghini) are good but for me the pinnacle of Technic cars were these:

Yeah, the actual supercars like the UCS series and those released in the 80's and 90's indeed have earned their place in Technic with interesting and technical functions and design but cars like this new Ferrari and the Porsche are just not Technic in my mind, not that I have to buy them anyway. But apparently this is what people want and as long as interesting machinery keeps being produced, I'm happy with Technic theme. New/recoloured parts are of course always welcome and at least with paneling these non-technical Technic cars should help to widen the palette.

14 hours ago, JunkstyleGio said:

But why didn't lego gave us a more generic GT model like the 2020 presentation model?

To anyone who watches le-mans, the #51 AF-corse is THE ferrari. The presentation car wouldve only been seen a few times.

Lego has also made the #51 in the speed champions theme (back when it was a 458GT2), and i think a 488GTE in the ferrari garage set.

I think TLG missed the opportunity to give that set the same approach as they did with set LEGO Speed Champions - Mercedes - AMG GT3 - 75877.

One car that you can build with two different style by adding the needed red or black parts for people that don't want so many stickers on the finished model.

Given the price tag, adding less than 100 generic parts should have been possible.

I guess some rims covers could have been included too...

Edited by fosamax

2 hours ago, Interceptor said:

@Interceptor I am just quoting you as an example for a bigger group of likeminded poeple here.

You know why you all like these older cars so much better? Because you are nostalgic about them. Thats all there is. 8880 is the only one that has a slight edge in terms of funtion count over the current 1:8 cars. Some of these are more like go carts, they dont even have doors or a roof and these have a very high percentage of system pieces as well. You need to stop holding these older cars on such a high pedestal, take your pink heart shaped glasses off, and look at them in their respective environment and time period. If you look at it like that most of these cars, the older and newer ones, have steering, a gearbox and a fake engine, and not a lot more.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think the current 1:8 Supercars are perfect (infact it is the opposite), but these older cars wern't perfect as well. I am just so sick of hearing "This isn't even real Technic" every single time a Car is posted. It is just not nice to everyone who likes buildig, modifying and MOCing these cars.

Please dont get offended by this and think about it for a moment about it instead. Thank you.

Edited by Gray Gear

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

@Interceptor I am just quoting you as an example for a bigger group of likeminded poeple here.

You know why you all like these older cars so much better? Because you are nostalgic about them. Thats all there is. 8880 is the only one that has a slight edge in terms of funtion count over the current 1:8 cars. Some of these are more like go carts, they dont even have doors or a roof and these have a very high percentage of system pieces as well. You need to stop holding these older cars on such a high pedestal, take your pink heart shaped glasses off, and look at them in their respective environment and time period. If you look at it like that most of these cars, the older and newer ones, have steering, a gearbox and a fake engine, and not a lot more.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think the current 1:8 Supercars are perfect (infact it is the opposite), but these older cars wern't perfect as well. I am just so sick of hearing "This isn't even real Technic" every single time a Car is posted. It is just not nice to everyone who likes buildig, modifying and MOCing these cars.

Please dont get offended by this and think about it for a moment about it instead. Thank you.

Part of it is surely nostalgia, but there is a factual argument to make for the older cars.

• 8880, many people's favorite, has suspension, 4 wheel steering with ackermann geometry and working steering wheel, 4 wheel drive, 4 gears, and it has moving headlights, and it has one of the better B-models we have seen. But it also has only about 1400 parts.
  • 8448, my personal favorite, has super smooth suspension, a highly optimized chassis, a modular build, steering, drive, working steering wheel, optional front or rear engine, compact 5+R gearbox, damped-sprung gull-wing doors. And 8448, too, has only about 1400 parts.
  • 8865, is older and slightly less functional, but it has moving seats and only 900 or so parts.
  • 8070, a set that many don't consider a supercar beause it doesn't have a gearbox, has steering, drive and suspension, and a 4-way motorized function switchbox controlling scissor-like doors, the hood and wing, all from a central switch between the seats. Yes, it's not a gearbox, but here too, it's only 1300 parts, for a studless set. This proves it's possible to build a decent-looking studless supercar with about the same number of parts as studded sets.

Now, those who think the comparison is purely nostalgia-based, please point me to a modern supercar set that has this many functions, but this few parts. 42039 (green-white 24h race car) tried, but has only 2 motorized functions (optional) and is therefore less complex than 8070, and the function switchbox isn't in the correct place. 42077 is interesting, but without the gearbox, doesn't count. Besides, the 4 sets listed above all contributed something new and original to the table. 42077 on the other hand, didn't do anything that wasn't done before. 42083 Chiron surely did, with the huge gearbox, but that one has almost as many parts as 8880, 8448 and 8865 combined.

Add to this that it is a recent trend that we have sets with functions that don't work well (42110 gearbox clicking, 42083 suspension sagging), and I think it's easy to make the case that even without nostalgia, the older supercars sets are actually better Lego models than modern sets.

This new Ferrari can better be compared to a set like 8653 Ferrari Enzo. Compared to that, it adds suspension, and it looks better, but it also adds 300 parts (if I remember correctly), and I don't expect it has the same damped-spring doors the Enzo had.

Edited by Erik Leppen

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

And you know why you like these cars so much better? Because you are nostalgic about them. Thats all there is. 8880 is the only one that has a slight edge in terms of funtion count over the current 1:8 cars. Some of these are more like go carts, they dont even have doors or a roof and these have a very high percentage of system pieces as well. You need to stop holding these older cars on such a high pedestal, take your pink heart shaped glasses off, and look at them in their respective environment and time period. If you look at it like that most of these cars, the older and ne newer ones, have steering, a gearbox and a fake engine, and not much more.

You are right to some extent, old cars did not have fancy panelling and of course these are also far from being flawless: first cars have basic functionality and use unsynchronised transmission for example, but at least you can see how a transmission works. My point is that these new Technic 1:10 cars (Porsche and Ferrari) offer less function-wise than 8865, 8880 and 8448 in similar scale. As Technic should be more about functions than appearance, I don't think it is pure nostalgia, you can also check this on Technicopedia site or Erik Leppen"s factual post above.

Please, don't get offended by this and I am happy with the fact that you and many other fans like and buy these new 1:10 cars because that is why LEGO Technic can offer (at least for my taste) more interesing produtcs in the future.

Edited by Interceptor

@Erik Leppen Yeah obviosly these older cars have way less pieces, they dont even try to have closed bodywork. That's just a style development. I dont like the flawed suspension and gearbox on the newer 1:8 cars either, I think that is their biggest flaw. (I dont want to talk about the land Rover, that set shoud have never reached the store shelves imo.) But my point was that the older cars are not that much more advanced that it would be okay to call the newer ones "Not even technic". There is not that much of a difference. If you dont care about looks that is okay, but for me looks are important as because for the most part the car is going to sit on a shelf looking pretty.

If it will help my MOC to look better I will not hesitate to dump another 1000 pieces on there. But my suspension can handle the weight :wink:

@Interceptor I fully agreethat 8880 and company are supirior to the smaller 1:10 cars like this one or the RSR, because they dont even have a gearbox or anything else intresting. I dont like that either. But I dont like it when some people put the other LEGO 1:8 cars or even 1:8 cars in general in the same category.

I appreciated some of the building challenges of the old models, that now you only get on MOCs, not official Lego sets.

Tiny tweaks to the positioning of elements along the crackshaft in 8865 made the difference between a car that sang as you pushed it easily in 1st gear, or one that would only move in fits and starts even in 3rd gear – to my young self it really felt as though I were 'tuning the engine'. I remember wishing for a third hand every time I manoeuvred the engine chain on 8880, and satisfaction when I'd managed to get it on – I felt like a mechanic who'd just completed an intricate task. I think the 42083 Chiron is wonderful (especially when Pimped Up), but the greatest building challenge is the common & rather artificial one of having to wiggle beams around until multiple pins deign to clip in at the same time. I approached 42110 Land Rover hoping it was like 8865 (where if I built it carefully enough the geartrain would work smoothly) but eventually concluded it didn't actually make much difference how I built it: the design was fundamentally flawed and could never work reliably and smoothly; but modern Lego pieces are sufficiently foolproof that, short of malicious incompetence, it didn't matter how carefully or carelessly I fitted them together.

Edited by J159753

I think partcount comparison between studfull and studless sets, or just sets 20+ (or even 10 years) ago is completely pointless. Price comparison is slightly more relevant, although taking inflation and standard of living developments over the same time in account makes it pretty hard as well. We dont buy the same things at the same intervals as our parents did, and our kids dont have the same lego experience, or just general life as we did at that age.

Sets should be evaluated in their current context, against other sets and the other forms of entertainment/hobbies available imho, as that is what are your actual options when it comes to current choices. If you do want to drag in old sets, then those should be evaluated with their current prices, the extremely limited availability, the fact that a 8880 with a box or non yellowed wheels is super-rare etc.. because that is the option as it presents itself today.

Still, it is easy to see lego could have put a lot more effort into this set, a 4 speed gearbox should just be in there, and given where the Chiron and Sian have gone, wouldnt even canibalize sales of the top tier stuff.

4 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Still, it is easy to see lego could have put a lot more effort into this set

Yeah I agree but that is true for most newer LEGO sets imho :sceptic:

On 11/24/2020 at 10:51 AM, LvdH said:

So quick summary of new parts so far:

• Red Sian arches

This set is looking like a really good MOC package!

Don't you think those are smaller/shorter?

just put the two pictures on top of each other, the new one is definately shorter and the arch has a smaller raduis

29 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Still, it is easy to see lego could have put a lot more effort into this set, a 4 speed gearbox should just be in there, and given where the Chiron and Sian have gone, wouldnt even canibalize sales of the top tier stuff.

Maybe lego did this really intentionally - this even more display set, also, maybe so  that it is easyer for some young builder to start with technic?

1 minute ago, freakwave said:

Don't you think those are smaller/shorter?

just put the two pictures on top of each other, the new one is definately shorter and the arch has a smaller raduis

Well yes I do think so now, but this comment was posted before we had actual pictures. Only a short video. 

41 minutes ago, JunkstyleGio said:

This set is more a adult collector (and first-timer) set than a set for youngsters to start with..

It definately is advertised like that by TLG. For first-timers the functions will be satisfying (even overwhelming) enough, and for collectors it just has to be as pretty as possible sitting on the shelve. I think TLG made a good set for both those target groups, and as collateral effect also made a good parts pack for AFOLs. Nothing more, nothing less.

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

Maybe lego did this really intentionally - this even more display set, also, maybe so  that it is easyer for some young builder to start with technic? 

I dont really see a kid with no experience starting with a set like this, that is what the sub $50 sets are for (stuff like the McLaren, the hovercraft, the Corvette etc..). Ill agree that this set should be a bit easier to build then the Sian, but either with the wavecatch, or a GT3RS double clutch gearbox should be totally doable without overstepping the complexity-niche a €180 set sits in.

As for display model creds, i think the big sets like the GT3RS, Sian and Chiron are much better for that, those are true showpieces, while the 911 RSR had just a bit too many imperfections to make for a good display, and i suspect this ferrari will as well.

18 minutes ago, Cardboy said:

I wonder If the rear wheel arch and flare are 2 pieces or one mould.

The flare is a separate piece. It has two pin holes at both ends.

42125_alt3.jpg

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

FINALLY SOME RED PARTS! I don't have any "racers" car, and I have no red pieces. I'm so glad thy finally bring them back on the market!

I just don't see myself buying this.

I also passed on the Bugatti, the Lambo...

This looks nice on the outside, but I'm missing the wow factor, the functions, the never done before...

I agree with @Erik Leppen about the part counts, functions etc.

The € 400 car sets are big and impressive, but also a very expensive dust collector.

I feel like 42125 is slightly overpriced compared to recent sets in a similar price range. I did a little research (see below) and several other sets have better value in terms of number of pieces and functions/motorization. Even the most similar set, 42096, has a lower cost per piece. Maybe red parts cost more?

price USD part count cents per piece    
42125 $170.00 1677 $0.10 licensed  
42113 $150.00 1636 $0.09 licensed PU
42096 $150.00 1580 $0.09 licensed  
42098 $180.00 2493 $0.07    
42078 $180.00 2595 $0.07 licensed  
42069 $180.00 2382 $0.08    
42054 $180.00 1977 $0.09 licensed PF