evancelt

[COR-FB] Same Stars, Different Names

As a child growing up in Corrington, Captain Brickleton would gaze out his bedroom window at Orion's Belt and the Big Dipper.

Now a grown man and leading the Corlander military contingent in Elizabethville, Brickleton would still gaze up at those same stars. On the return leg of his trip to the interior looking for a waterfall that rained gold, the captain encountered the medicine man of the Onondaga and invited him back to visit the military camp outside Fort di Legno. The medicine man told the captain some of the tribe's histories. He showed Captain Brickleton the stars he had always known, but explained them in a new way: Orion's Belt was the Goose Foot and the Bigger Dipper was the Wolf Brothers. Same stars, but different names.

stargazing-1.jpg

stargazing-2.jpg

-------------

OOC: I wanted to a try a night scene with muted nighttime colors and use technic axles as stars! Went with yellow axles for the dark sky, and dark tan axles for the darkening sky. I don't have that many dark bricks but I scrounged up all the ones I could find. The picture was shot in low light.

Edited by evancelt

Really neat idea to build the sky like that!  Give the build a great atmosphere. :pir-grin:

Very clever idea and very nicely executed!  I'm quite surprised by how good those stars look, and those printed stump parts are just awesome as well :pir-grin: :pir-sweet:

Cool concept! The purple and magneta hues in the darkening sky are really effective - not colours I would have thought of using. Also that's a neat (not so) little camp fire. Nice work and it is great to see some life on Lacryma and the Onondaga people.

9 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Cool concept! The purple and magneta hues in the darkening sky are really effective - not colours I would have thought of using. Also that's a neat (not so) little camp fire. Nice work and it is great to see some life on Lacryma and the Onondaga people.

Thanks! I have a bunch of light pink, bright pink, magenta, and purple Duplos from the princess sets (they have some cool elements for my family's mega Duplo castle builds) and figured they'd look cool to add some depth to the night sky. Yeah, on 2nd take that camp fire looks primed to turn into a bonfire!

On 11/23/2020 at 7:32 AM, Garmadon said:

Very clever idea and very nicely executed!  I'm quite surprised by how good those stars look, and those printed stump parts are just awesome as well :pir-grin: :pir-sweet:

Thanks! Yeah, I really like the yellow plus-sign shape on the black axle bricks - good contrast. Tried both axle bricks and pin bricks in the dark bley area, but I still like the axle bricks better.

On 11/23/2020 at 5:26 AM, Kai NRG said:

Really neat idea to build the sky like that!  Give the build a great atmosphere. :pir-grin:

Haha. :pir-grin: Thanks!

It's a good idea to build a brick sky. looks cool, I like the use of technic pins as stars too.

What an excellent idea!!!!! Nicely executed too! Only thing I would consider altering, it would be the ground as anything dark (but not dark bluish gray) would make the (nevertheless obvious) distinction between earth and sky a bit easier.

Also I really like that you don't fear using colors like purple in your builds. Its something I strive with, so I almost never use them which is a shame. :thumbup:

Edited by blackdeathgr