Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

So its a "Space Academy" that took an old decommissioned NASA shuttle and installed...  an elvish reactor...  that allows it to launch with no boosters or fuel tank. :wink:

But seriously though, I took one look at that building and thought those planets are going to be super useful for giant holo-displays in my bridges and command centers.  Those stickers are detailed but still stylized and generic enough to be useful for all sorts of crazy sci-fi holo-display planets.

The mini-dolls all have a nice color variant classic space logo on them too.  Two space suits and two coveralls, nice.  Mini-dolls make for nice "aliens" and "elves" to complement all the mini-fig "humans" and you can never have too many classic space logo variant torsos.

It would have been awesome to get that shuttle windscreen in trans-purple but at least its not trans-light blue.

22 hours ago, danth said:

I feel that. We'd have nothing to discuss here without themes like Monkie Kid or Lightyear.

This Friends set nothing futuristic or Sci-Fi about it at all though, as far as I can tell.

Even if it's not strictly sci-fi, I think the set as a whole is plenty relevant here, if only by virtue of using parts and techniques that could be good inspiration for sci-fi MOCs. For instance, the Technic orrery is wonderfully simple and efficient, and the parts used for the Sun, Earth, and Moon are all simple and common enough that a MOCist could easily build a similar design in different colors to represent an alien solar system.

The Technic ring used for the multi-axis trainer has also never been in white before, and even if that's a color some spacers might consider "boring", it's probably a much easier color to use in LEGO Space MOCs than its sole previous appearances in Cool Yellow. A lot of the holographic foil stickers in this set also re-awaken my childhood nostalgia for Exploriens, even if none of the stickers in this set are anywhere near as extraordinary as the minifigure hologram that appeared in that theme!

For that matter, the figures in this set are probably also the closest to sci-fi that any mini-dolls have come since Sweet Mayhem from The LEGO Movie 2, and they even feature a variation on the Classic Space logo! I know that mini-dolls in general are probably not too exciting to a lot of Spacers, but there have been plenty of sets mentioned in this thread for less!

With that said, I am a bit bummed that the set doesn't include a new version of Olivia's robot buddy Zobo, who was previously the furthest the Friends theme ventured into sci-fi, and sadly hasn't shown up in any new sets since 2020. I hope we haven't seen the last of him, as he's very cute and adds a lot of whimsy and humor to just about every set he shows up in.

I also wish the windscreen of the space shuttle were a more exciting color (perhaps Tr. Bright Bluish Violet like the windows on the upper floors of the space center), since if there's one thing LEGO Friends and traditional LEGO Space themes in general tend to have in common, it's their predilection for bold, eye-catching color schemes.

EDIT: The space food packets also have a fairly generic Classic Space logo on them, so they could potentially be repurposed in sci-fi MOCs — although I'd like to think that far-future space explorers might have more appealing food options than shelf-stable dehydrated meals and snacks. Come to think of it, I don't think any sci-fi space exploration sets have ever really broached the subject of what or where the astronauts eat.

Edited by Aanchir

I am normally a City builder and don't buy Friends sets but surprisingly I actually want that Friends space set more than I want ANY of the City Space sets from this year.

Just built the 2022 City Moon Base and Rover.

For me so far it's the closest to a  3-4 set "classic" Space theme it's been since LEGO Movie related Benny stuff. (mainly LEGO Movie 2, as I wasn't collecting during Movie 1, or any of the 2000s themes for that matter, insectoids was my last space theme prior to LEGO Movie 2 / 2019 City)

Rover wheels work very well in multiple direction but could even be modified into it's own spacecraft type thing removing the wheels.

At least it follows the more basic concepts of scanning terrain, and finding resources like meteors/crystals going back to multiple themes, like aquazone, Power Miners , and Volcano City.

The base might not have huge interior but the main garage is quite good, and comes with a full set of tools instead of just the usual wrench/hammer that's been the norm in many sets instead of the tool pack.

Despite being large premade parts, in this case I absolutely love the new cockpit pieces on the moon lander rocket (and also on the moon space station).

6389712.jpg + 6389713.jpg

The cockpit is also easily detachable and could easily be made into a Simulator type thing like the old Spaceport subtheme of 1999 Town (6455: Space Simulation Station)

Also quite compatible with the 2019 City/Mars sets (or even 2020 City Underwater base parts)

The large Quarter dome parts are pretty cool too, going back to older themes like Futuron or Aquanauts , and other themes having large dome sections, if they make them in neon colors that's be amazing, the piece itself seems fairly flimsy, and very prone to scratches however.

The solar panel stickers aren't bad as they are shiny, and the space logo is very good as well on both the stickers/prints and the various figures.

Might not be a Classic Space replacement but for me it's like Prequel to Classic space , humans just going/settling to the moon instead of inter-planetary.

The 2019 Space theme perhaps was more of a prequel to the 2008 Mars Mission, with a more orange color scheme. 

I still got the Lunar Space Station to build later, which has some interesting modular potential with other sets.

So far, while City or Monkie Kid or Friends aren't full Space themes in the classic sense , for me, 2022 does tick quite a few boxes in a good way.

I'm not as interested in the SLS rocket at the moment, but it's also so far the most expensive and the least discounted set (only 1 webshop seems to sell it outside of LEGO so it's probably limited release here right now , and sometimes discounts won't happen in the first months for such sets, similar thing happened with the 2019 Deep Space Rocket)

Edited by TeriXeri

And that one is very much a Spaceship, it's not realistic/"NASA style" at all.  And the pilot has a genuine, no-fooling, Classic Space logo on the chest of his orange flight suit.  And that's a genuine, no-fooling Classic Space logo on the flag.  Hmm ... too bad I find the actual spaceship so uninteresting.  Fun set, but not compelling enough for me to get it after having already Spaced myself out with the other four City Space sets, the MK Galactic Explorer, and the Lightyear XL-15 so far this year.

Edit: "Build with story, not instructions.  Free app required to play."  Definitely not for me, I don't want to contribute to the death of paper instructions.

Edited by icm

It's very curious LEGO chose a  Yellow Classic Space logo this time. (but I think the 2022 blue space logo was meant departure from Blue earth to the moon)

Overall , I love the concept of this set, multiple classic engines and radar dishes and such and the price is very reasonable as well (€30 for almost 300 pieces).

Those rocks with blue transparent pieces and blue flames seem to depict icy comets.

Can't wait to see the full parts list as each picture shows something else, like there are 2 printed solar panels as well somewhere in the pile of bricks.

Edited by TeriXeri

How is that a City set?

How!

Edited by Robert8

4 hours ago, icm said:

And that one is very much a Spaceship, it's not realistic/"NASA style" at all.

Yup. A lot of very "Spacy" parts too.

4 hours ago, icm said:

And the pilot has a genuine, no-fooling, Classic Space logo on the chest of his orange flight suit.  And that's a genuine, no-fooling Classic Space logo on the flag.

Is it any different than the orange torso in the already released 2022 City Space sets?

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

It's very curious LEGO chose a  Yellow Classic Space logo this time. (but I think the 2022 blue space logo was meant departure from Blue earth to the moon)

Kinda looks orange to me, like maybe for Mars, but gold would be cool.

^ Nope, no different. The orange suits have a true CS logo with a gold moon and the white suits have a modified CS logo with a blue planet.

In addition to those, I think the blue suits have a silver moon. So many colors. Maybe silver is for moon-based missions?

I took another look at a bigger picture of that Missions set. There are lots of prints, I think.

The 2x1 cheese slope and flag with Classic Space symbols appear to be prints. So that's nice. There's also the 1x1 trans blue cheese slope with robot eye prints which I didn't even see before. And at least one 2x2 printed computer slope.

1 minute ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The Creator submarine (31130) has a Classic Space helmet recoloured in dark grey! 

Good eye!

I liked that set even before I knew that. All the builds are cool, and it's really just a Fire Mech building kit in disguise. I wish we could get bubble canopies like that in colors other than light blue though.

28 minutes ago, danth said:

I took another look at a bigger picture of that Missions set. There are lots of prints, I think.

The 2x1 cheese slope and flag with Classic Space symbols appear to be prints. So that's nice. There's also the 1x1 trans blue cheese slope with robot eye prints which I didn't even see before. And at least one 2x2 printed computer slope.

There are 2 2x3 tiles with clips with solar panels as well , existing piece but still printed.

9 minutes ago, danth said:

Good eye!

I liked that set even before I knew that. All the builds are cool, and it's really just a Fire Mech building kit in disguise. I wish we could get bubble canopies like that in colors other than light blue though.

The more I look at it, the better that set gets, with the amount of clips/joints because of 8 arms on the octopus, robot arms on the submarine etc, certainly a mech type of parts pack.

Edited by TeriXeri

Looks like LEGO Classic has a SPACE themed brick box as well : (it's not Classic Space, just under the Classic theme)

11022 Space mission

https://www.lego.com/nl-nl/kids/sets/classic/space-mission-b825cd0b703e7834c74c9f575039f3f1 1700 pieces

Not as spectacular as the City mission set, but still space themed with some really blocky weird rocket with 2 doors , and brick built astronauts.

Edited by TeriXeri

7 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The Creator submarine (31130) has a Classic Space helmet recoloured in dark grey! 

Saw that too. I know that's a different color than the old gray helmets, but you have to wonder if it will bring down the prices for those.

1 hour ago, BrickHat said:

Saw that too. I know that's a different color than the old gray helmets, but you have to wonder if it will bring down the prices for those.

Now we just need the air tank in a nice modern gray.

(Dark pearl gray doesn't count)

I can live with Light & Dark gray mixed.

The Dragon of the East set in Monkie Kid apparently has a 6x6 bubble windscreen in Trans. Pink. And the Crystal King set from Ninjago has a different windscreen in the same color. Several years ago I'd been hoping for more Trans. Pink and Trans. Purple windscreens to expand the Systar System faction from The Lego Movie 2... now years later we're getting two new Trans Pink windscreens at once!

The creator sub set is fairly good value, €30 / $35 instead of something like €50 , despite 500 parts, makes a decent mech parts pack if anything, and also the dark grey classic space helmet of course.

Of course the bubble in pink is interesting as well in the Monkie Kid Dragon set, and other cool parts in that set overall.

Edited by TeriXeri

So Lego posted an image from a

classic space set on Facebook yesterday. Do we think we’re actually going to get a proper classic space celebration set? I know there’s the classic brick box and the city missions set but they’re not a set like the the castle that may be coming

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

So Lego posted an image from a

classic space set on Facebook yesterday. Do we think we’re actually going to get a proper classic space celebration set? I know there’s the classic brick box and the city missions set but they’re not a set like the the castle that may be coming

I wouldn't take a social media post like that as any sort of sign. Lego has been occasionally sharing images/memes featuring vintage themes for a little while now; on Twitter they tag these posts with #LegoLookback. Last month one of the ones they shared was Paradisa, and I doubt that theme is coming back any time soon.

Honestly my favorite part of the City space mission set is the robot dog. I always love cute brick-built robot companion designs like that!

Also, while not remotely a Space set, or even particularly useful for space MOCists, I love the old-school sci-fi vibes of the brick-built alien sculptures from 60313 Space Ride Amusement Truck. As well as the sticker on the air dam with a stylized image of the Retro Space Hero!

On 5/3/2022 at 9:39 AM, Lyichir said:

The Dragon of the East set in Monkie Kid apparently has a 6x6 bubble windscreen in Trans. Pink. And the Crystal King set from Ninjago has a different windscreen in the same color. Several years ago I'd been hoping for more Trans. Pink and Trans. Purple windscreens to expand the Systar System faction from The Lego Movie 2... now years later we're getting two new Trans Pink windscreens at once!

There are also some very neat Tr. Bright Orange windscreens in the Ninjago sets 71769 and 71773. The one from Kai's vehicle has previously appeared in Mars Mission sets (and a Batman set from 2014), but the former is a brand-new recolor of a relatively recent windscreen mold from the Speed Champions theme.

On the subject of brightly colored windows/windscreens, the Friends set 41708 Roller Disco Arcade includes 1x4x6 window panes and 4x4x6 quarter-cylinder panels in Tr. Fluorescent Green (Trans-Neon Green). And 43206 Cinderella and Prince Charming's Castle includes a 4x8x6 half-cone in Tr. Blue Opal (Satin Trans-Dark Blue), which could make a VERY interesting Space windscreen — albeit one that would be hard to use for a whole fleet, given how rare a color it is currently.

Where would be the best place to talk about the Optimus Prime set coming out in June? Because my gosh it's exciting

Aside from the fact that, yet again, it's a lego robot that has no knees; that kills me every time

It seems a decent price, at a little over 11 cents per part(usd).