Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

17 minutes ago, Spectervamp said:

Where would be the best place to talk about the Optimus Prime set coming out in June? Because my gosh it's exciting

Licensed forum has a topic.

I saw this a few days ago.  It's a tantalizing rumor, but given that the only support is the set number and an anonymous Instagrammer, it doesn't seem credible to me.  Still, we can dream.

New Galaxy Explorer will be actually true https://www.promobricks.de/lego-10497-galaxy-explorer-neuauflage/144161/

32 cm wide 52.5 cm long

1254 pieces 4 figs (2 red 2 white spacemen)

Such awesome news and 2022 already was an interesting Space-related year (City Space and Monkie Kid had some great selection of sets so far, and that Space Mission set isn't bad as a parts pack, and Friends also has a Space shuttle)

Edited by TeriXeri

30 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I had seen this as a rumour on IG, but I was not going to get my hopes up - I am glad that it turned out to be true!! The description sounds brilliant, but I would have liked a few more Minifigs (though I get why LEGO went with the original lineup); I just hope that the red Spaceman pieces will be available on B&P! 
BTW, @danth

Oh, awesome. Now the black classic classic Spaceman is the only one left. Plus 3 helmet colours for legacy classice Spacemen.

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

BTW, @danth

Thanks for the ping!

Man, this almost seems to good to be true.

I wonder what to expect. I know what to expect for Creator 3-in-1 (nice main build, less nice second/third build, useful parts, creative part reuse) and Creator Expert (beautifully detailed dense builds with creative build techniques), but no idea what to expect for 90th anniversary sets. Are they going to be Creator Expert or 18+?

Benny's Spaceship was 940 pieces so this is going to a third "bigger". Or maybe smaller actually, using more small parts for a more detailed build.

Who knows! EDIT: If the leak is true, the Galaxy Explorer will be about as long as Benny's Spaceship.

Edited by danth

I rebuilt my older family member's original 928/497 back in 2015 , reignited my interest in LEGO after a 15 year period, and started collecting new sets after 2016 with nexo knight helping out as a new theme that interested me.

So this set is very special.

I have not mixed old and new LEGO but I certainly won't feel as bad about the original being yellowed/cracked/missing pieces from it's 40+ year lifespan and very played with for at least 25 of those (either as a set, or parts wise in many aircraft/spaceship builds with the many wing plates). Maybe it's time to bring the old space crew into the modern world (multiple yellow/red/white spacemen with very faded logos)

Edited by TeriXeri

Woo! Seems exciting! Even though o don’t have much personal attachment to the original set, I still appreciate and like it a lot, so I’m excited by this prospect! I’m also new to this forum, so is a separate forum usually created for set rumor like this, such as Titanic or Optimus Prime? Should I look for one coming soon? Also, there should be another lisensed space creator expert set (likely NASA) coming out, which should also be interesting!

EDIT: do you guys think it will come with some lunar surface/ base like the original? Could be cool.

Edited by TheKingPorg

Classic space was before my time but I know nothing about the original set, will this really be just as big as Benny’s Spaceship for sure? I know it’s all speculation but given the 100usd price tag I don’t know it looks average sized I think hehe

52.5 cm is about 62 studs. That is LONG. The Monkie Kid spaceship is 51 studs long. Can’t wait for pictures!

I’m at once thrilled by and anxious at this news. 497 was the cornerstone of my extensive CS collection back in the day. Sadly, its parts went to charity decades ago.

I’m worried that 10497 is too modernised with rounded edges, overly greebled surfaces and excessive  SNOTwork. The version in the pic posted by @TheKingPorg above doesn’t thrill me. To my mind, it lacks charm. I very much hope 10497 captures the spirit of the original. I realise not everyone will agree.

I wonder what they'll use for the tails , the old piece retired 20 year ago, but since this version of the ship is said to be bigger, the Tail 4 x 1 x 3 would work (also used in benny's)

2340.png

Also certainly hoping for some throwback printed slope computers.

Edited by TeriXeri

That’s so awesome!! Can’t wait to see it!

But where is Pirate set?!

Will it be released in August?

18 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Also certainly hoping for some throwback printed slope computers.

Ooh, that would be cool.

It would be so nice if Lego in their infinite generosity included spare classic helmets and tanks in the set to complete the spacemen that are incomplete (purple, green, and gray). It would also be nice if we got a black astronaut soon so that those that missed out on the originals can get a new one.

I just experimented a bit with City road plates, and they can easily make a rudimentary 32x32 or 48x48 landing pad for the new Galaxy Explorer, the stripes on the 2x4 tiles are flexible to adjust to scale like that.

Sure it's not as accurate to the original but it's still a LEGO landing pad using relatively few parts, a 32x32 landing pad would only need 1 set of 60304: Road Plates

Edited by TeriXeri

^ Around the start of January I bought the City road plates and the Wonder Woman satellite dish to complete a "Galaxy Explorer analog" with the Arrowhead from 2017.  I think it worked pretty well with a single road plates pack, out of the box.  Guess I need to buy another one to go with 10497.

Galaxy Explorers: The Next GenerationGalaxy Explorers: The Next GenerationGalaxy Explorers: The Next Generation

Just now, icm said:

^ Around the start of January I bought the City road plates and the Wonder Woman satellite dish to complete a "Galaxy Explorer analog" with the Arrowhead from 2017.  I think it worked pretty well with a single road plates pack, out of the box.  Guess I need to buy another one to go with 10497.

Nice :thumbup: