Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Yep, we all know how you feel about that, you bring it up at every opportunity.  Moving on.

1 hour ago, icm said:

Yep, we all know how you feel about that, you bring it up at every opportunity.  Moving on.

Nope, I'm antagonized over my opinions every time I share them. So then I have to explain and defend my opinion with examples. And then I get blamed for talking about it too much.

Heck, does anyone actually disagree with me? Because I've never heard "Actually, I like clear windscreens better and here's why" or "I hate the old Space logo, it sucks, I'd rather have X instead." I mean a real disagreement would be refreshing. Instead of just straight up invalidation.

18 hours ago, danth said:

Heck, does anyone actually disagree with me? Because I've never heard "Actually, I like clear windscreens better and here's why" or "I hate the old Space logo, it sucks, I'd rather have X instead." I mean a real disagreement would be refreshing. Instead of just straight up invalidation.

I mean, I certainly share those same preferences, just not to the point of feeling like different logos or different windscreen colors are enough to spoil/"mess up" an otherwise interesting Space set or theme. I mean, I didn't mind the Galaxy Squad or Alien Conquest color schemes or logos at all, even if they didn't go out of their way to mimic 80s and 90s Space logos and windscreen colors. Same as how I don't mind when modern space sets or themes use curvy windscreens/canopies instead of more angular ones.

I don't mean to antagonize you, though. I get that you care much more about those sorts of details than I do, and there's nothing wrong with that. So I apologize if any of my responses have seemed at all hostile or dismissive. I promise it's not my intent, and it's my own fault if I made it seem that way.

19 hours ago, danth said:

Nope, I'm antagonized over my opinions every time I share them. 

That's not the problem. We know your problems, we all know your problems. Move on.

I kept repeating myself in the modular forum because no one was actually listening to what I was saying. I just went 'Enough' and moved on.

Move on.

9 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I mean, I certainly share those same preferences, just not to the point of feeling like different logos or different windscreen colors are enough to spoil/"mess up" an otherwise interesting Space set or theme. I mean, I didn't mind the Galaxy Squad or Alien Conquest color schemes or logos at all, even if they didn't go out of their way to mimic 80s and 90s Space logos and windscreen colors. Same as how I don't mind when modern space sets or themes use curvy windscreens/canopies instead of more angular ones.

I don't mean to antagonize you, though. I get that you care much more about those sorts of details than I do, and there's nothing wrong with that. So I apologize if any of my responses have seemed at all hostile or dismissive. I promise it's not my intent, and it's my own fault if I made it seem that way.

Galaxy Squad was really an awesome theme. The designs were fantastic, and I really appreciated the inclusion of combiner gimmicks. The insects were neat too. I actually think the theme was better than I realized when it was out. Although I prefer colored windscreens, I realize it would have been awkward for a theme with colored teams. Would the red team have trans-red windscreens and so on? That might look silly, I dunno. And the insects had some cool transparent colors anyway.

The whole curvy vs angular thing wasn't even on my radar until Benny's Spaceship Spaceship Spaceship. I think I read at the time that it purposely used angular pieces to look retro. I don't see the original angular look as an intentional design thing, just a limitation of the time.

It's annoying being dismissed, but I get it might be annoying to here my complaints all the time. But what else can I do on a Sci-Fi Rumors thread if there are no Sci-Fi themes? 😁 (And yes I know there are Sci-Fi elements in Action/Licensed themes but those are different sub-forums).

I think Alien Conquest is one of the best Space type themes of recent times.Although the newer Space Police did have some nice sets like that limo (really wishing I had been able to obtain the large base from that line)

Am I the only one that saw the picture of the new 60349 Lunar Space Station and thought that works better as a The Martian or Interstellar style space ship?  Heck those astronauts can be used as the kind of heavy armored space marines that the galaxy squad figures wished they were.  They even have that awesome blue variant of the classic space logo printed on their backpacks.  If the windows were a better trans-color this theme would be perfect.

60349-1.jpg?202109220143

You're not the only one. I think I posted about that in a different thread. I know I told my friends who are into Lego about it. For me, that takes it from a meh to a must-buy.  Lego hasn't done that kind of near-future sci-fi / engineering concept deep space Interplanetary vessel before, ever.

Replace the trans-blue with trans-orange, make some of the white parts blue, and you've got an Ice Planet orbital station.

Unless there is a set that includes one that I am not aware of, the only colors available for the front windscreen in the space station set are trans-light-blue and dark orange.

On 2/10/2022 at 5:09 AM, Celloguy said:

There's a rumour that trans neon orange is being retired as a colour at the end of the year. :(

If you're interpreting "retirement date" as the point at which the last sets using it are retired, then yes (since the small selection of 2020 Monkie Kid sets that weren't retired last year are going to be retired at the end of this year). But in terms of new parts being released the retirement date was over a year ago when the "Story of Nian" Lunar New Year set was released, since that was the last new set introduced that used the color.

On 2/11/2022 at 8:41 PM, Lyichir said:

If you're interpreting "retirement date" as the point at which the last sets using it are retired, then yes (since the small selection of 2020 Monkie Kid sets that weren't retired last year are going to be retired at the end of this year). But in terms of new parts being released the retirement date was over a year ago when the "Story of Nian" Lunar New Year set was released, since that was the last new set introduced that used the color.

But how do you know that no new parts will ever be manufactured or used again? Where was the announcement?

Edited by Celloguy

1 hour ago, Celloguy said:

But how do you know that no new parts will ever be manufactured or used again? Where was the announcement?

I don't think there was a public "announcement". IIRC a Lego-published video in 2020 included a brief view of one of Lego's internal color charts, in which Trans. Fluorescent Reddish Orange was labeled as retiring at the end of the year, which tracks with the last set to include new parts in that color being one designed in 2020 for release at the start of 2021. So by all indications Trans Neon Orange is already effectively retired for designers.

Though of course it could possibly be brought back in the future, like Bright Bluish Green (teal) was a couple of years ago.

Stupid for LEGO to get rid of such a cool color while (IMO) crappy colors like bright-light-orange, olive green, dark orange and trans-neon-green continue to be used.

On 3/1/2022 at 1:26 PM, TurinTheGreat said:

Thoughts on the Avatar theme? The Navi headpiece mold is interesting, Lightyear sets will be great for space fans too. 

Eh... I'm largely uninterested in either of those movies, or for licensed themes in general outside of the parts they bring. Maybe when the sets are revealed there'll be more to pique my interest but currently with only a few very specialized part leaks, there's not a ton to get excited for.

I'm personally quite happy with the Monkie Kid space sets there've been this year (as a fan of that theme in general), and if the 90th anniversary set turns out to be space that might pique my interest as well as I love tributes to Lego's history. Now that the City Space sets are out that's mildly exciting as well, especially with inventories and reviews being available to show off all of what they have to offer.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:26 AM, TurinTheGreat said:

Thoughts on the Avatar theme? The Navi headpiece mold is interesting, Lightyear sets will be great for space fans too. 

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Eh... I'm largely uninterested in either of those movies, or for licensed themes in general outside of the parts they bring. Maybe when the sets are revealed there'll be more to pique my interest but currently with only a few very specialized part leaks, there's not a ton to get excited for.

I'm personally quite happy with the Monkie Kid space sets there've been this year (as a fan of that theme in general), and if the 90th anniversary set turns out to be space that might pique my interest as well as I love tributes to Lego's history. Now that the City Space sets are out that's mildly exciting as well, especially with inventories and reviews being available to show off all of what they have to offer.

I have no idea what to expect for the Avatar theme, and have low expectations for the movie. But those leaked head molds look fairly primitive. They're just regular heads with a longer neck and ears. Usually for licensed themes the alien heads are more customized and more detailed.

As for Lightyear, I'm fairly hyped. The space ship designs look awesome. And one of them definitely has a dark yellow/orange windscreen. I'm hoping we get that in Lego form.

Edit: actually a few have colored windscreens.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/toyfair2022-mattel-brings-consumers-to-infinity-beyond-with-new-lightyear-lineup/

02 and 07 definitely have yellow windscreens. 15 has more of a bronzy/brown windscreen. 01 is just clear.

Edited by danth

Thanks for that link.  Too bad we're probably only getting one of those spaceships in Lego, I want them all.  Can't decide which I want more, the XL-01, XL-02, or XL-15.  Don't much like the XL-07 though.  Because the XL15 is the one featured in the biggest ($45) Mattel toy, it's probably also the one featured in the biggest ($50) Lego toy.  Anyone know when the Lego sets for this will be revealed?  Seems like that can't be too far away, with the movie coming in June and the Mattel action figures already revealed.

I'm reading Avatar here, and forgetting I'm in the Sci-Fi Ongoing thread, am thinking The Last Airbender. (I bought the Fire Nation Ship set back then.) Anything based on James Cameron's vision would probably do more for Fantasy builders than the traditional Space builders, which I think is a good thing. Star Wars has eaten up the real estate that the traditional Space themes occupied for so long, that Lego needs a vehicle to get themselves into thinking about alien landscapes rather than spaceships. So that when the new Avatar runs its course, Lego can apply some of the set design, and play experience, elements to an in-house sci-fi theme.

Avatar... meh to those heads. The first movie was highly forgettable and will the sequels even have 3D? That's the only reason I went. However there are glow-in-the-dark plants on the planet and the new plastic LEGO uses for their glow pieces are amazing. So t we get planet builds then the theme could be great, if it's mostly ships then I wouldn't care.

Which is funny because for Lightyear I hope we get mostly ships as the designs look fun.

1 hour ago, Maple said:

Avatar... meh to those heads. The first movie was highly forgettable and will the sequels even have 3D? That's the only reason I went.

It’s too early for you to say “meh” to these heads….You haven’t ever seen the final / offical images. This head one? It’s an early leak….  Just reserve your judgement for later. :oh3:

The newly-revealed Lightyear ship has a new canopy - In Trans-Yellow! - that bears a striking resemblance to this classic canopy piece! Considering the fact that LEGO could probably have made due with an existing part, I am curious to see what plans they have for this new piece.