Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

20 hours ago, Aanchir said:

The City theme in general tends to have a relatively high price per piece despite being non-licensed, and that's ESPECIALLY true in the case of sets with lots of large structural elements and/or new molds. That seems to be the primary factor in this set's high price.

Also City seems to be one theme where US dollar prices are much worse compared to Euro, meanwhile some (Netherlands) euro prices have been really bad for some sets in themes like Star Wars or Harry Potter in the past compared to dollars.

Euro prices for Western Europe got normalized for 2022 at least for Netherlands/Germany, and so far it seems to have worked out positively for Netherlands.

The more I look at the City Space sets, the more I like them, especially the many "classic" space logos but still would probably wait for some discount for the Lunar Base/Rocket sets.

LEGO description says rocket is 42 cm tall. Monkie Kid spaceship is listed as 41 cm long, Moon Base is 40 cm wide, just to get a sense of scale.

And there are still 2 sets to be revealed (1 half reveal being the rover).

Edited by TeriXeri

On 12/6/2021 at 9:37 AM, TeriXeri said:

Also City seems to be one theme where US dollar prices are much worse compared to Euro, meanwhile some (Netherlands) euro prices have been really bad for some sets in themes like Star Wars or Harry Potter in the past compared to dollars.

Euro prices for Western Europe got normalized for 2022 at least for Netherlands/Germany, and so far it seems to have worked out positively for Netherlands.

The more I look at the City Space sets, the more I like them, especially the many "classic" space logos but still would probably wait for some discount for the Lunar Base/Rocket sets.

LEGO description says rocket is 42 cm tall. Monkie Kid spaceship is listed as 41 cm long, Moon Base is 40 cm wide, just to get a sense of scale.

And there are still 2 sets to be revealed (1 half reveal being the rover).

I love this variation of the classic space logo! In general I'm really fond of the Classic Space variations in City—past "near earth" sets have featured the classic red spaceship orbiting earth, and this new one seems to show the rocket circling around to the dark side of the moon.

I wonder what that second unrevealed City Space set will be—a space station maybe? For that matter, I wonder whether there'll be any side builds in the rover set. It'd be nice if it included a small bit of terrain for it to trundle over, like the little brick-built crater detail in the moonbase set but maybe bigger (16x8 or 16x16) so that the rover can have a bit of an obstacle to cross. Then again I'm not sure whether it has any sort of working suspension that'd make that a practical way to play with it.

Also really looking forward to the zanier Monkie Kid sets (as is to be expected since I'm a bigger fan of that theme than City in general). I love the builds and the distinct color identities of MK's rocket and Chang'e's moonbase. Can't wait until somebody reviews the rocket since I'm eager to see what's on each of the little stickered viewscreens in the crew area. I sort of doubt any of the 2HY Monkie Kid sets will have a space focus like the two in this wave (since it seems like the characters will just be taking a quick jaunt to the moon to get one of the flame ring macguffins from Chang'e). Then again, who knows? The theme has a knack for defying expectations.

Looking at the space station, it has those yellow/black supports under it, I wonder if that means it can be connected to the moon base and used as a surface build instead (as display) 

Moon base set was suggested to connect to rover via air lock, not sure if the space station airlock is 100% the same, if it uses the octagonal part from 2019 it should be all compatible.

6263879.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

1 minute ago, TeriXeri said:

Looking at the space station, it has those yellow/black rounded supports under it, I wonder if that means it can be connected to the moon base and used as a surface build instead.

The moonbase is built directly on the ground, though, and this is clearly a space station (based on the Lunar Gateway). Those supports are most likely intended to keep the model from falling over, since the large pod on the right extends down below the sections on the left. 

5 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The moonbase is built directly on the ground, though, and this is clearly a space station (based on the Lunar Gateway). Those supports are most likely intended to keep the model from falling over, since the large pod on the right extends down below the sections on the left. 

Yeah but there was a suggestion that the moon base airlock can lift upwards to the rover airlock height, that picture is just not part of the official ones but is shown on the instructions app.

Edited by TeriXeri

8 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Moon base set was suggested to connect to rover via air lock, not sure if the space station airlock is 100% the same, if it uses the octagonal part from 2019 it should be all compatible.

6263879.jpg

Both the large section on the right and the central tube appear to use the airlock pieces, so should be able to connect to the 2019 station (with minimal modifications to both sets). The Gateway may also be able to connect to the left side of the moonbase, since it can be elevated. 

I don't have the 2019 rockets but those modules should also be compatible then, as do the 2022 rocket parts.

6265684.jpg

New for 2022 are the rocket top/cockpit ends which should still fit as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

3 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Yeah but there was a suggestion that the moon base airlock can lift upwards to the rover airlock height, that picture is just not part of the official ones but is shown on the instructions app.

I know - The two sets probably can connect, but my point was that I do not think that LEGO added the supports specifically so that it could. 

5 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I know - The two sets probably can connect, but my point was that I do not think that LEGO added the supports specifically so that it could. 

Yeah, I can see LEGO added those supports first for just placing it on the ground (display) by itself.

Edited by TeriXeri

I like the look of the Rover, but the orbital platform/space station just looks off to me. Just looks strange with a single small corridor section and then a huge lump, perhaps it’s the fact that the solar array is tiny?

I'm interested to see how the lander capsule cockpit will look on top of the rocket set, should be fairly easy to switch the dark orange cone with the white/transparent capsule parts.

It'll probably look silly with the even shorter fuel tank, but it's never going to be at minifig scale anyway, SLS rocket would have to be like 2 meter tall for that.

Edited by TeriXeri

You mean besides what the winning entry was, the kid playing with cardboard boxes in a bedroom?

19 minutes ago, Celloguy said:

Do we know anything at all about the fan vote lego ideas set? Release date, purported content etc?

Are you referring to the 90th Anniversary set? If so, no, we do not. 

All we know about the 90th anniversary vote are the results itself

I don't think Castle or Pirates are likely with the recent combo of IDEAS/3-in-1 sets and since 3-in-1 hasn't had a big Space set yet (this year has Vikings) , and a revival of classic space merchandise etc, it seems likely to have a Classic Space set of sorts , even while Monkie Kid and City will go space as well this year, but I see it like this : If LEGO can attract new people or returning people into LEGO via some very special Classic Space set, some will certainly buy those other space sets.

Bionicle however I do recognize the fans got nothing at all for a few years now while Space still had 2 LEGO Movies etc, while I personally still think it's unlikely.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 12/12/2021 at 10:20 PM, icm said:

You mean besides what the winning entry was, the kid playing with cardboard boxes in a bedroom?

No I mean:

On 12/12/2021 at 10:30 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

Are you referring to the 90th Anniversary set? If so, no, we do not. 

Yes this one... The only set I care about in 2022!

Lunar Space Station potentially has 8 of those : 6185306.jpg

While not the most sci-fi , or classic space color, I think that's still a lot of canopies for a single set, and personally I like the color more then the transparent brown/black.

Edited by TeriXeri

Well, with the new Lego Gaming theme with licenses such as Overwatch 2 and Horizon Zero Down, I guess there might be potential for licenses such as Metroid and MAYBE Destiny since I don't think Mega has that license anymore. What would you want from this theme? 

5 hours ago, Mr No said:

Well, with the new Lego Gaming theme with licenses such as Overwatch 2 and Horizon Zero Down, I guess there might be potential for licenses such as Metroid and MAYBE Destiny since I don't think Mega has that license anymore. What would you want from this theme? 

It's honestly hard to say since I'm not quite sure yet how this "Lego Gaming" category will be executed. Lego has only just started working with Nintendo for the Super Mario theme, for instance—will Nintendo be willing to have licenses like that (or other franchises of theirs like Metroid or Zelda, for that matter) labeled under an "umbrella theme" alongside competitors' franchises? It's hard to say—Nintendo can be notoriously picky about how their franchises are represented.

Of course there's definitely no shortage of non-Nintendo sci-fi gaming franchises that could be covered. It mostly depends on what kinds of licensor relationships Lego can establish and what they deem to be a good brand fit (probably nothing too bloody or sexy, so no Mass Effect or Dead Space most likely). In terms of recent games I could see something like Subnautica making for a good Lego set or theme.

3 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

It's honestly hard to say since I'm not quite sure yet how this "Lego Gaming" category will be executed. Lego has only just started working with Nintendo for the Super Mario theme, for instance—will Nintendo be willing to have licenses like that (or other franchises of theirs like Metroid or Zelda, for that matter) labeled under an "umbrella theme" alongside competitors' franchises? It's hard to say—Nintendo can be notoriously picky about how their franchises are represented.

Of course there's definitely no shortage of non-Nintendo sci-fi gaming franchises that could be covered. It mostly depends on what kinds of licensor relationships Lego can establish and what they deem to be a good brand fit (probably nothing too bloody or sexy, so no Mass Effect or Dead Space most likely). In terms of recent games I could see something like Subnautica making for a good Lego set or theme.

I think the Gaming theme will let all other subthemes to have their own box design judging by the overwatch 2 box design having no lego gaming logo on it, most likely legoshop.com will put all of these under Lego Games umbrella. Maybe this whole theme concept came to life because of the Overwatch 2 wave. 

Lego sets based on James Cameron Avatar 2 are happening

So, I guess this means the end for an original inhouse scifi theme. But I am hyped for these sets! Something more alien! 

1 hour ago, Mr No said:

Lego sets based on James Cameron Avatar 2 are happening

So, I guess this means the end for an original inhouse scifi theme. But I am hyped for these sets! Something more alien! 

Huh... that's surprising. I really don't feel that positive or negative about that—I saw the first movie once and it was okay but I wouldn't really consider myself a fan. And in terms of sets, if it's anything like the first movie then the spacecraft themselves might not be that different from what we tend to see with Star Wars—very industrial with a lot of grey. The alien landscapes on the other hand could be interesting and have some nice color to them.

Do you reckon they'll do like they did with Star Wars/The Hobbit/Indiana Jones/Pirates of the Caribbean and have a few sets based on the first movie before they launch the ones for the upcoming one?