Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Ok, new sets and better pictures of monkie kid have released, overall for Sci-Fi , I love the Mei Dragon Car, will go really well with the Dragon Horse Jet style.

Spaceship seems to use those in red at the sides , so 4 total:

6244759.jpg

Also other interesting pieces like the trans-orange dish at the rear/bottom.

2 of those newer Creator "spyrius" robot heads in the City of Lanterns set.

Part No: 28621pb0021  Name: Minifigure, Head Dual Sided Alien Robot, Medium Azure Eyes and Mouth, Dark Blue Panels with Circuitry / Circles and Power Bar Pattern - Vented Stud

Fire Wheel set has one of those open triangle cockpits from nexo-knights in trans-regular orange this time.

Moon Cake Factory set is just a really weird but Space set for sure, rabbits and carrots and Chang'e is the Chinese goddess of the moon as a figure.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 11/17/2021 at 1:48 PM, icm said:

It'll be interesting to compare and contrast the $170 City rocket with launch pad and the $100 (?) Monkie Kid rocket with launch pad.

The Monkey Kid rocket is $130.

I know a lot of spacers are generally less excited by trans clear than by colorful windscreens, but I couldn't help but be intrigued by the large 6x10 Jedi Interceptor windscreen used for the Chang'e Moon Cake Factory. I think this might be the first time we've gotten this newer version in a transparent color without printing. I think the trans orange 8x8 bubble windscreen on the bunny mech is also new in that color, which could be nice for Mars Mission MOCs.

I could be wrong but I also think the Nexo Knights-style helmets (with the "scoop" at the top) are new in white in the Galactic Explorer set? In Nexo Knights the white knight (Lance) used a standard helmet.

52 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I could be wrong but I also think the Nexo Knights-style helmets (with the "scoop" at the top) are new in white in the Galactic Explorer set? In Nexo Knights the white knight (Lance) used a standard helmet.

The helmets are actually the 2019 Mars Exploration helmets, but they appear to be moulded in white/teal rather than white/black. 

13 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The helmets are actually the 2019 Mars Exploration helmets, but they appear to be moulded in white/teal rather than white/black. 

Oh, you're right! Thank you for the correction. I don't have any of those so I didn't recognize it!

1 minute ago, Lyichir said:

Oh, you're right! Thank you for the correction. I don't have any of those so I didn't recognize it!

They do look similar, but the NK helmet has more texture and detailing, while the City one is smoother/sleeker and is dual-moulded (not that you can tell from the front). 

22 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Hmm, those colors could be neat if somebody wanted to build some additional mini-doll crewmates for Sweet Mayhem from The LEGO Movie 2. Even though that's not as popular as other space factions among a lot of AFOLs, it could be a neat one to explore in MOCs.

Chang'e Moon Cake Factory is sooo good. The Rabbit mech & carrot rocket are hilarious and cute, and it's very evocative of the old Rocket Base set.

It's also very obviously In Space in the Classic Space sense, on a crater-covered surface. Nice.

City Moonbase surpasses expectations, and the space torsos from the Build to Launch are used :thumbup:

Edited by TeriXeri

17 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

City Moonbase surpasses expectations :pir-stareyes:

It's so nice I feel like it's fake. haha

But look it all those big pieces! JUNORIZED! :hmpf:

The shape of the cockpit of the lander vehicle in the 60350 Moonbase reminds me of the old windscreen used in 7190 Millennium Falcon from 2000 and 7315 Solar Explorer from 2001.  I wonder if it's time to try a modern update of 7315?  Unfortunately, the 60350 part looks extremely specialized and it might not be possible to use in a Solar Explorer remake.  We'll see.  I can't wait for pictures of 60348, 60349, and 60351. 

Wow...

It's Classic Space...but it's City Space! What a crazy timeline we've entered.

Mmm, brick build crater plates!

Also...human minifigs on a very obvious cratered surface! Yay to hypotheses being blown to smithereens!

The blue and white color scheme on the minifigs almost reminds me of 90's Tyco Bricks! 5350_main.jpg

23 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Love it!

The spacesuits are very well done!

(But how is that a City set?)

LEGO sticks it in a box that says 'City' on it.

1 hour ago, Maple said:

But look it all those big pieces! JUNORIZED! :hmpf:

They're great! I need them in better colors though...imagine those windscreens in trans yellow or green or blue...🤤😍

39 minutes ago, danth said:

They're great! I need them in better colors though...imagine those windscreens in trans yellow or green or blue...🤤😍

Yes! I wish they were a darker tans blue.
Not just that, how about solid colors for buildings? Like capitol buildings sometimes have domes. Be great in white.

I mentioned before about how the newer sets are making it so we can see the timeline progression of Lego City becoming the visions of it's future that were made in the past. This is a step towards just about all of them. I see a progression to Mars Mission, Life on Mars, Classic Space, Futuron, Exploriens, Ice Planet 2002, and even M:Tron and Spyrius with some color swaps.

Edited by gedren_y

Well the moon base is actually inspired from a real life NASA Mars space base concept if that tells you anything

17 hours ago, Maple said:

Yes! I wish they were a darker tans blue.
Not just that, how about solid colors for buildings? Like capitol buildings sometimes have domes. Be great in white.

Funny you should mention that because not long after you posted this this set was revealed with the same part in white, used for an observatory roof.

3 hours ago, eldiano said:

Well the moon base is actually inspired from a real life NASA Mars space base concept if that tells you anything

Wait a minute!

60350_alt1.jpg

"Inspired by NASA's Artemis Base Camp Concept"

My hypothesis is back in effect! This message keeps the Disney lawyers away! They can do this only because it's NASA inspired!

🤣🤣🤣

No wonder they've merged Classic and City Space! They have to if they want to do any Classic Space type thing!

😂

Or make another Lego Movie.

Edited by danth

The lunar base is almost exactly what I'd want to see from a modern version of "classic space." I love it. The rocket launch is nice but I have the deep space launch and rocket assembly sets from a couple years ago so I probably won't get another one. There are more unrevealed sets in this subtheme though, you can see what the stand alone rover will look like in this alternate image of the base: 

60350-Lunar-Research-Base-Action-Details

I don’t think I’ll get the SLS Rocket but the Lunar Base and Rover would look great next to my Classic Space collection

On 12/1/2021 at 8:41 PM, Robert8 said:

Love it!

The spacesuits are very well done!

(But how is that a City set?)

Same as how Divers and Launch Command were Town sets, I suppose! This is certainly somewhat more futuristic than past Town/City space sets, since it's modeled on NASA missions that are still in the works and haven't actually been carried out. But in the time I've been on Eurobricks, I've seen numerous posts from Space fans arguing that sets or themes depicting the near reaches of our solar system or heavily influenced by real NASA spacesuits and spaceflight technologies don't count as "true" LEGO Space.

Needless to say, all that applies just as much or more to these sets as to stuff like Life on Mars, Mars Mission, or the recent 3-in-1 Space sets.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:14 PM, Robert8 said:

So, this is a licensed set

Right?

On 12/3/2021 at 3:26 AM, eldiano said:

Omgggg, 780 pieces? For 119.99, i think it is licensed noooo

No? NASA is a government agency, so while they do ask for brands they work with to adhere to certain guidelines or even collaborate directly with them to ensure accuracy, they don't require any sort of licensing agreements or royalties for that sort of stuff.

The City theme in general tends to have a relatively high price per piece despite being non-licensed, and that's ESPECIALLY true in the case of sets with lots of large structural elements and/or new molds. That seems to be the primary factor in this set's high price.

Edited by Aanchir