Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

On 9/22/2021 at 4:21 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

A three-set space subtheme is rumoured for City 2022: 

Update: 

On 10/6/2021 at 9:47 AM, LCP said:

Detailed information came out from Stonewars, and the product in the second half of 2022 is space, and the detailed information is as follows. And these products will be released in March.

LEGO 60348 Moon Rover

The LEGO City 60348 moon rover is supposed to be optically based on the real Mars test rover from NASA and, like it, drive on six freely rotating wheels. With a gripper arm and (at least) two astronauts in protective suits, nothing stands in the way of researching a new type of "rock sample"! For 275 parts , the RRP will be 29.99 euros .

• Set number: 60348
  • Name: Moon Rover
  • Parts: 275
  • Minifigures:?
  • Price: 29.99 euros

LEGO 60349 lunar space station

The LEGO City 60349 lunar space station is supposed to be a station consisting essentially of a large module, which is equipped with solar panels, a lock for external missions "on foot" and a docking lock for the small shuttle that is also included. The 500 pieces also include several, probably 4 minifigures. For this, 59.99 euros are called.

•  Set number: 60349
  • Name: lunar space station
  • Parts: 500
  • Minifigures: 4?
  • Price: 59.99 euros

LEGO 60350 Moon Research Base

As a counterpart to the orbital space station, so to speak, LEGO will also deliver the LEGO City 60350 lunar research base with 786 parts in March . The base is made up of several modules, some of which are connected to the new gold foils as locks. In addition to several small vehicles, a landing or return module should also be included. The RRP is 99.99 euros .

• Set number: 60350
  • Name: Moon Research Base
  • Parts: 786
  • Minifigures: 5?
  • Price: 99.99 euros

Overall, these seem to be somewhat odd choices, as 60348 and 60349 sound like remakes of the 2019 Mars Exploration sets. I do wonder if the new roadplate pieces will be used as terrain. 🤔

Also, if the description of set 60350 is correct, it would disprove @danth's theories (though, being City, the sets will definitely have a future-NASA colour-scheme): 

On 2/25/2021 at 11:14 AM, danth said:

The non-competition clause in Lego's contract to make Star Wars sets clearly states that no non-licensed mini-figure can be depicted walking on the surface of another planet!

On 2/27/2021 at 11:17 AM, danth said:

The Rover Explorer has a minifig on the planet's surface so maybe that blows my theory...except we've had men on the moon on rovers, so maybe it gets through some loophole in the contractual rules I'm hypothesizing. It shows a real a world capability of modern space exploration. Hell, we did it in '71! So maybe that gets a pass.

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

9 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Also, if the description of set 60350 is correct, it would disprove @danth's theories (though, being City, the sets will definitely have a future-NASA colour-scheme): 

My prediction...the "Lunar Research" base will be an Earth base, meant to research what it would be like to have a Lunar base.

18 hours ago, danth said:

My prediction...the "Lunar Research" base will be an Earth base, meant to research what it would be like to have a Lunar base.

While this is certainly possible, I doubt that it is the case. All prior space subthemes of City and Town have included launchpads, support vehicles and facilities, and other Earth-based sets (as well as shuttles and/or rockets), so the absence of any rumours of such sets for 2022 makes me think that this wave will be set entirely in space. 

I wonder if these sets will be loosely based on NASA’s Artemis Program. 🤔

From the NASA website
We will build an Artemis Base Camp on the surface and the Gateway in lunar orbit. These elements will allow our robots and astronauts to explore more and conduct more science than ever before. 

As there's an unfortunately an ongoing dearth of new LEGO Sci-Fi sets, I've renamed this topic "Ongoing" and it can carry on from year to year unless there's a specific new theme to discuss separately.

You might as well rename it LEGO SciFi Memorial thread, because now with Disney+, SW will get new content pretty much every year from now on

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

You might as well rename it LEGO SciFi Memorial thread, because now with Disney+, SW will get new content pretty much every year from now on

Star Wars already has gotten new content every year since 1999 and LEGO has released multiple Sci-Fi themes alongside it. That doesn't mean they will again, but it's not a full argument that they won't make Sci-Fi because there's Star Wars.

However, like we've seen with Castle, I think the best bet at the moment for Sci-Fi sets will be in Creator, and those can be discussed here when/if there's interest.

11 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Star Wars already has gotten new content every year since 1999 and LEGO has released multiple Sci-Fi themes alongside it. That doesn't mean they will again, but it's not a full argument that they won't make Sci-Fi because there's Star Wars.

However, like we've seen with Castle, I think the best bet at the moment for Sci-Fi sets will be in Creator, and those can be discussed here when/if there's interest.

I am also hoping that we'll see some nice Sci-Fi sets from Ideas a la Medieval Blacksmith. That seems like a solid avenue.

Sadly, yes, it looks like for the trinity of Space, Castle, and Pirates, we will be getting a trickle of sets in the foreseeable future.

Edited by BrickHat

17 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

While this is certainly possible, I doubt that it is the case. All prior space subthemes of City and Town have included launchpads, support vehicles and facilities, and other Earth-based sets (as well as shuttles and/or rockets), so the absence of any rumours of such sets for 2022 makes me think that this wave will be set entirely in space. 

I mainly made that prediction because 1) I was trying to be as cynical as possible since that's been very predictive so far and 2) I was thinking of the last City Space moon rover which, according to the box art/instructions, was actually a test rover that was shown driving on earth.

I know the recent Rover Explorer creator set was shown on another planet and also had a base alt build. Not sure what that means for my little theory. It could have something to do with being a creator set, or being something close enough to a real, current NASA project, or that my theory is just totally bunk. Or maybe they got some legal clarification on what exactly is allowed.

13 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Ooh, I have a response to this somewhere...*shuffles through notes*... Ah. Here!

On 9/18/2020 at 6:55 PM, danth said:

The first year ever, after 20+ steady years, that there were no Lego Space sets was 2000. This was immediately after the first ever Star Wars sets in 1999. Then, in 2001 when Space sets returned, they were on Mars. A real world in our very own solar system. Not deep space, not out in the galaxy. Not anything that could be confused with Star Wars. Then nothing for six years while Star Wars movies were in theaters.

Finally, in 2007 we got Lego Space sets again. On Mars...again. And just in time not to compete with the Revenge of the Sith sets.

Then we get pretty steady Lego Space on the shelves until 2014. Guess what happens the year after? The Force Awakens. 

All evidence points to some non-competition strategy to keep in-house Space sets off the shelves when there are Star Wars movies being made. 

I would say the unwillingness to do a real Sci-Fi/Classic Space Creator set is yet more mounting evidence of this. They've done Pirates, they've done Castle, and this year they're doing...Vikings? WTF?

How long can people deny that Lego really, really doesn't want to do non-licensed Sci Fi space sets?

35 minutes ago, danth said:

How long can people deny that Lego really, really doesn't want to do non-licensed Sci Fi space sets?

I agree, I have all the recent Creator stuff, and Nexo Knights being partly sci-fi got me back into LEGO (72003: Berserker Bomber probably being the most Space out of that entire theme).

I never got LEGO Movie 1 sets (got back into LEGO after it retired)

Right now the only sci-fi set I still want, and is available is 80020: White Dragon Horse Jet. 

LEGO Movie , Nexo and Monkie Kid are "in-house licensed", so outside of that, there were some Creator sets.

31111: Cyber Drone was probably the most sci-fi Creator has done so far, but nothing like that for 2022, City has some Lunar sets but they seem to be more like the 2019 releases, and I doubt much futuristic (as in bright transparent colors)

Cyber Drone, Mining Mech and Shuttle probably will last until the end of 2022, so hopefully 2023 will allow some larger Space/Sci Fi creator set, but not wishing too hard here.

I'm not sure how well the buildable animals sell for 3-in-1, but 2022 seems rather heavy on those instead of entry point minifig sets (like 31111), one of the complaints of the "Classic theme" Creator sets have been limited number of figures, so having more entry point themed sets would help Castle/Space/Pirates a lot, even 2 different figures can be mixed/matched in multiple configurations, and 3-in-1 also would encourage multiple sets.

Edited by TeriXeri

How did we miss this?? The images have been up since September 1st (per Twitter), but the only reason that I managed to find them is because I was looking further into my theory that the 2022 City Space wave will be inspired by the Artemis Program (their official Twitter account retweeted one of the LEGO Education videos)! 
BTL_ModDetail_24_FullFocus.png?auto=webp

Great space suits for sure, and kind of make sense since LEGO made a Classic space-like logo in 2020-2021 3-in-1 sets :

973pb3962c01.png

2019 Space had Orange space suits and blue crew suits, so flame orange and azure seem appropriate.

The other torsos aside from the most left jacket in the picture were all in the 2019 Space theme.

Edited by TeriXeri

Wow.

Creator NASA-style space sets using the Classic Space logo was confusing to me. But now they're expanding that to City Space! They're basically merging Classic Space and NASA-style Space/City Space.

Do I like it?

Yes: This means new Classic Space torsos to use in Space MOCs. And it's kinda cool to see some kind of legacy for Classic Space besides just oblivion.

No: This means Classic Space is basically "grounded". It's a signal that the future for Classic Space is the present-day, on or around Earth. But I want deep-space Sci-Fi, not NASA-style sets. It also means, most likely, boring colors. More white & orange ships with clear wind screens.

Anyway, I see a blue jumpsuit and a lot of "scientists". I project that they will be in an Earth-bound, "research" Moon base set.

The way I see it, they are trying to create a timeline logic for the Lego world in which the modern style space suits of City Space become the various designs of the Future Space themes. The design for the Creator Space torsos are closer to the timeline point of Mars Mission, and the set builds fall somewhere between that and City Space. Think of it like progression of design aesthetic in Star Trek.

On 10/13/2021 at 12:51 PM, danth said:

Anyway, I see a blue jumpsuit and a lot of "scientists". I project that they will be in an Earth-bound, "research" Moon base set.

Since the Earth-based personnel are slightly-modified versions of 2019 Minifigs, they may just be reuses for the LEGO Education videos. As for the blue jumpsuits, I predict that these will be what the crews of the Lunar Gateway and the moonbase will wear inside the facilities, since the orange suits are flight suits (and presumably we will get white EVA suits in the rover and moonbase sets). 

On 10/13/2021 at 8:44 PM, gedren_y said:

Think of it like progression of design aesthetic in Star Trek.

This is how I see it, as well (especially since the logos on the new Minifigs are actually not the "true" CS logo, but one with a silver planetoid (likely representing the moon), so it seems that the Classic Space logo evolved from the mission patches of early Lunar and Martian explorers). 

Descriptions and an image of some of the Series 22 CMFs have leaked, and there are two Sci-Fi figures: A maintenance robot (with the cyborg arm and welding helmet pieces recoloured in either yellow or Bright Light Orange), and an insect alien described as having a purple body with the CS logo, a pink head with antennae, and green wings. The latter seems quite odd, but I am reserving judgment until I actually see the Minifig (the robot looks good, though. 👍). 

I guess there's going to be a Space puzzle:

LEGO-Ideas-Minifigure-Space-Mission-puzz

It's obnoxious to me that they can release Lego Space puzzles but not actual Lego sets. Unless this is part of a Space revival, in which case I'll eat my words.

Not sure if this is old news but I found pictures of another puzzle as well:

9781797214207_720x.jpg?v=1620771077

17 hours ago, danth said:

I guess there's going to be a Space puzzle:

It's obnoxious to me that they can release Lego Space puzzles but not actual Lego sets. Unless this is part of a Space revival, in which case I'll eat my words.

Not sure if this is old news but I found pictures of another puzzle as well:

Well, the crux of it seems to be that children aren't interested in sci-fi space themes anymore, right? At least that is the collective wisdom I've heard here on EB... That puzzle seems more directed towards AFOLs. I think Lego is aware to some extent that there are AFOLs interested in the classic themes (Space, Castle, and Pirates), and you can start to see them direct some large sets towards them. The Pirates of Barracuda Bay set springs to mind. In due time, I expect a large classic space type set, probably within the next 10 years. But it clearly is not an urgent priority for them.

10 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Well, the crux of it seems to be that children aren't interested in sci-fi space themes anymore, right? At least that is the collective wisdom I've heard here on EB... That puzzle seems more directed towards AFOLs. I think Lego is aware to some extent that there are AFOLs interested in the classic themes (Space, Castle, and Pirates), and you can start to see them direct some large sets towards them. The Pirates of Barracuda Bay set springs to mind. In due time, I expect a large classic space type set, probably within the next 10 years. But it clearly is not an urgent priority for them.

I'd love to see a classic Space-inspired set targeted at AFOLs, but I don't know whether that's as likely as something like Barracuda Bay or the Medieval Blacksmith. I love classic space themes, and a lot of folks at Lego clearly do too given the frequency of one-off references and homages even in other themes, but it's hard to ignore the Star Wars-sized elephant in the room. Unlike Pirates and Castle-like licensed themes, Lego Star Wars has been a mainstay in Lego's portfolio pretty much constantly since its inception, and gets multiple adult-targeted D2C sets every year. Launching an expensive D2C set into that context might be setting it up for failure—sadly, I think most adult buyers would easily opt for a recognizable ship from pop culture over one wholly invented by Lego, even if it was based on a classic theme, especially now that Lego is starting to reach out more and more to "new" AFOLs whose love of Lego isn't solely rooted in a love of specific childhood themes.

I don't want to say that could never happen. But I think like Barracuda Bay, it might have to wait until a highly successful and unique Ideas proposal or something along those lines makes the business case for it stronger. And while supporting or creating high quality Ideas projects is a little more in our control than any other way to encourage such a set, it's far from a surefire strategy, especially as Ideas reviews continue to balloon well in excess of Lego's capacity to release sets. No matter how big or how much budget Lego puts toward a program like Ideas, there are only so many months in a year in which to release sets before they start seriously eating into each other's sales.

If they can sell two puzzles about Lego Space, they can sell actual Lego Space sets. Unless there's some contractual reason they can't, which is almost certainly the case.

Speaking of non-brick Lego Space merch... discovered this while thumbing through the Target gift guide that I got in the mail.

7 hours ago, danth said:

If they can sell two puzzles about Lego Space, they can sell actual Lego Space sets. Unless there's some contractual reason they can't, which is almost certainly the case.

I doubt there's a contractual reason. Even knowing Disney's propensity for legal shenanigans, I can't necessarily picture a clause in say, the Star Wars contract that would prevent a quote-unquote "space theme" but allow things like the increasingly futuristic Lego City space subthemes or the variety of space content in The Lego Movie 2 (which was only two years ago, even though the pandemic makes it feel like it's been much longer). If there were a clause like that that was that easy to subvert, it seems to me that Lego could just as easily manage to do so with an original theme or standalone D2C set if they thought there was a strong business case for it.

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Speaking of non-brick Lego Space merch... discovered this while thumbing through the Target gift guide that I got in the mail.

Ooh, space plushy! I kinda want it...thanks for the heads up.

This reminds me, I there's also the green Space guy in the Build the World commercials. I mean...so many references to Lego Space in media but no actual Lego Space!

It's so painful!

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I doubt there's a contractual reason. Even knowing Disney's propensity for legal shenanigans, I can't necessarily picture a clause in say, the Star Wars contract that would prevent a quote-unquote "space theme" but allow things like the increasingly futuristic Lego City space subthemes or the variety of space content in The Lego Movie 2 (which was only two years ago, even though the pandemic makes it feel like it's been much longer). If there were a clause like that that was that easy to subvert, it seems to me that Lego could just as easily manage to do so with an original theme or standalone D2C set if they thought there was a strong business case for it.

Yet nobody can explain why we don't get a Classic Space style Creator set, which is a complete no brainer in every sense, and has been done for Castle and Pirates and now freaking Vikings.

Until that is explained, in a real way, and not just "Lego is smarter than you dumb AFOLs" hand waving about how "It wouldn't make money" even though they've released the Creator Space Mining Mech, which is super boring and uninspired, and would be totally superior with an actual Space minifig pilot and an exciting colored windscreen (and would sell about a million times more), I'm not going to be convinced.

I mean, seriously, any "it won't sell argument" is dead in the water because Lego has released this instead:

31115_alt4.png

And don't get me started on the existence of Vidiyo. Lego is perfectly fine with losing lots of money. If they want to do that, lose it on Space!

18 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I'd love to see a classic Space-inspired set targeted at AFOLs, but I don't know whether that's as likely as something like Barracuda Bay or the Medieval Blacksmith. I love classic space themes, and a lot of folks at Lego clearly do too given the frequency of one-off references and homages even in other themes, but it's hard to ignore the Star Wars-sized elephant in the room. Unlike Pirates and Castle-like licensed themes, Lego Star Wars has been a mainstay in Lego's portfolio pretty much constantly since its inception, and gets multiple adult-targeted D2C sets every year. Launching an expensive D2C set into that context might be setting it up for failure—sadly, I think most adult buyers would easily opt for a recognizable ship from pop culture over one wholly invented by Lego, even if it was based on a classic theme, especially now that Lego is starting to reach out more and more to "new" AFOLs whose love of Lego isn't solely rooted in a love of specific childhood themes.

I don't want to say that could never happen. But I think like Barracuda Bay, it might have to wait until a highly successful and unique Ideas proposal or something along those lines makes the business case for it stronger. And while supporting or creating high quality Ideas projects is a little more in our control than any other way to encourage such a set, it's far from a surefire strategy, especially as Ideas reviews continue to balloon well in excess of Lego's capacity to release sets. No matter how big or how much budget Lego puts toward a program like Ideas, there are only so many months in a year in which to release sets before they start seriously eating into each other's sales.

Didn't Benny's Spaceship do extremely well in spite of ongoing Star Wars sets? That would give me some hope...

Also, the plushy spaceman is probably pink. Hopefully we get more colors! https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/lego-and-target-team-up-for-an-exclusive-us-only-merchandise-collection/

37 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

Didn't Benny's Spaceship do extremely well in spite of ongoing Star Wars sets? That would give me some hope...

Also, the plushy spaceman is probably pink. Hopefully we get more colors! https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/lego-and-target-team-up-for-an-exclusive-us-only-merchandise-collection/

The plush spaceman from the gift guide I photographed is red, not pink—which is a good sign that other colors might be available too.

17 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I doubt there's a contractual reason. Even knowing Disney's propensity for legal shenanigans, I can't necessarily picture a clause in say, the Star Wars contract that would prevent a quote-unquote "space theme" 

I agree, particularly since what a "space" theme is is difficult to define and separate from other themes. Rock Raiders is technically a space theme (despite having no ships/rockets/etc), and themes like Ninjago and Monkie Kid are so heavily sci-fi that the only thing keeping them from being "space themes" is the lack of spacesuits and starfield backgrounds. 

10 hours ago, Lyichir said:

The plush spaceman from the gift guide I photographed is red, not pink—which is a good sign that other colors might be available too.

These plushies may indicate that LEGO is planning to release a Classic Space theme/set (perhaps for their 90th anniversary?), since they are definitely targeted at children, rather than AFOLs, as the puzzles are. 

In other news, three sets based on the Lightyear movie are coming in April ($20, $30, $50). Based on the first trailer, I assume that the $50 set will be Buzz's ship (since it has a similar size and design to the MK White Dragon Horse Jet, which is also $50). 

14 hours ago, danth said:

And don't get me started on the existence of Vidiyo. 

Just as a side-note, am I the only one who legitimately likes VIDIYO? 

13 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

themes like Ninjago and Monkie Kid are so heavily sci-fi that the only thing keeping them from being "space themes" is the lack of spacesuits and starfield backgrounds. 

The fact that Ninjago hasn't gone to space yet is another reason I'm not sure they can. I mean, underwater ninjas? Why go there before space ninjas? They've done airships, desert stuff, islands, everything but space.

These plushies may indicate that LEGO is planning to release a Classic Space theme/set (perhaps for their 90th anniversary?), since they are definitely targeted at children, rather than AFOLs, as the puzzles are.

I certainly hope so! I'll gladly eat crow if that happens.

In other news, three sets based on the Lightyear movie are coming in April ($20, $30, $50). Based on the first trailer, I assume that the $50 set will be Buzz's ship (since it has a similar size and design to the MK White Dragon Horse Jet, which is also $50). 

The spaceship in the trailer is awesome! Looking forward to seeing that set.

Just as a side-note, am I the only one who legitimately likes VIDIYO?

Personally I like the minifigs, but I'm not really interested in the sets.