Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Are we just continuing this thread for 2021? There's a new droid in one of the Creator sets, with a new face print that reminds me a little of the classic Spyrius/Exploriens droids! 31111-1.jpg

22 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Are we just continuing this thread for 2021? There's a new droid in one of the Creator sets, with a new face print that reminds me a little of the classic Spyrius/Exploriens droids! 

I think it's fantastic they throw in a figure in a small Creator set, and a throwback to Space for sure with that nice head.

I don't mind the re-use of the torso from the 2020 rover as it's a good torso.

Quite a nice color scheme/parts in the set as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

As much as I like Creator 3-in-1 sets, I never thought I'd find myself wanting one for the minifig, but here we are.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Are we just continuing this thread for 2021? There's a new droid in one of the Creator sets, with a new face print that reminds me a little of the classic Spyrius/Exploriens droids!

That is sooo weird. I think I like it...a lot!

Way back in '94 I had a dream about new, weird Lego Space sets coming out with weird see through minfigs. I think it was only weeks later when the first Spyrius sets showed up at Toys R Us, and I was like "whoa, didn't I dream this?" It was nuts!

So now this is coming out! And it's definitely Sci-Fi. And it's got the Classic Space logo. But it sort of makes no sense at all! Why orange and black? Why a helicopter with no rotor? Why the Spyrius head throwback?

I don't know. And I don't care! I want it! In multiples.

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Are we just continuing this thread for 2021? There's a new droid in one of the Creator sets, with a new face print that reminds me a little of the classic Spyrius/Exploriens droids! 31111-1.jpg

This is really cool.  I'm definitely picking one up :laugh:.  Really glad LEGO is using Creator to "revive" a bit of the old Space stuff.

'The use of mixel joints for the control sticks is pretty snazzy, glad to see they're giving a friend to the figure included in rover. Maybe with enough time it'll develop into it's own space faction

On 11/21/2020 at 12:29 AM, Renny The Spaceman said:

'The use of mixel joints for the control sticks is pretty snazzy, glad to see they're giving a friend to the figure included in rover. Maybe with enough time it'll develop into it's own space faction

I can see it now. The Human (Rover) faction with it's humans in all white vehicles, and the Drone faction with robots piloting orange and black vehicles. They both have the same space suit with the Classic Space logo, so they must be working together...or are they? Maybe they work for the same space federation, but are the Drones plotting a rebellion? Will they achieve true consciousness and break away?

See, this is why I like themes with no story and no obvious bad guys! Things get interesting...

41 minutes ago, danth said:

I can see it now. The Human (Rover) faction with it's humans in all white vehicles, and the Drone faction with robots piloting orange and black vehicles. They both have the same space suit with the Classic Space logo, so they must be working together...or are they? Maybe they work for the same space federation, but are the Drones plotting a rebellion? Will they achieve true consciousness and break away?

See, this is why I like themes with no story and no obvious bad guys! Things get interesting...

I don't know why they'd be so mad, they clearly got the better colour scheme

3 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

I don't know why they'd be so mad, they clearly got the better colour scheme

Sand blue and orange... I wonder if the color scheme was chosen as a direct reference to the Titan XP, a much earlier robot-focused Creator set: https://brickset.com/sets/4508-1/Titan-XP

7 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I wonder if the color scheme was chosen as a direct reference to the Titan XP, a much earlier robot-focused Creator

:oh:

Whoa...good observation!

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Space Police in CMF 21

AND Alien crook 

Space Police is even in SP1 colors!

That alien is innocent until proven guilty. That crowbar is purely circumstantial evidence. You can't prove anything! :laugh:

A clearer look at the Space Police officer and the alien, from this thread: 

129197628_10158085011283403_198272821328

The Space Police officer is a direct update of the original (even the torso under the armour has the classic SP1/Futuron Black design!), which gives me hope for updates of other factions (M:Tron, Ice Planet, etc) in future series. 
I am not entirely certain that the alien is a criminal, though. Despite the crowbar and the orange jumpsuit, there is nothing that suggests that he(?) is a prisoner (e.g. a number badge). Combined with the breathing apparatus, the jumpsuit actually looks more like a miner's coveralls. Also, do we know if the head is dual-moulded or two separate pieces? It looks like it could be either. ?

The updated "original" Space Police officer looks great!  The armor portion seems to have attachment points on the back for accessories (like the handcuffs piece that looks clipped to the back).

10 minutes ago, hagridshut said:

The updated "original" Space Police officer looks great!  The armor portion seems to have attachment points on the back for accessories (like the handcuffs piece that looks clipped to the back).

Pretty sure the armor piece is the same mold as the earlier Galaxy Trooper CMF.

A clear picture of the Space Mining Mech has been released (via Brickset): 
55506_BC_1HY_2021_-_NZ_17.jpeg

I am not sure why the arm with the saw is orange, since the rest of the mech is white with a bit of red and dark blue. Unlike the drone, this set is not perfect - The shoulders are rather blocky and the arm-joints protrude too much (though both of these issues should be easy to modify). Additionally, after the excellent Minifigs from the rover and the drone, the absence of one in this set is glaring - Particularly since the mech shares the rover's colour-scheme, so an astronaut from that faction would fit nicely and tie the sets together. That said, the cockpit does look like it can be modified to fit a Minifig, which I like. 

Yeah, I don't really get this "It's NASA but it's also Sci-Fi, kinda" thing LEGO is trying with these Creator sets. White, with red and dark blue stripes, is the NASA color scheme. The orange is another NASA color but it's usually on part of the main rocket booster.

So the colors are 100% NASA. But...this is a mech. With an alien. So, WTF is with the NASA colors? Why not do something more exciting?

Also, yeah, a mech without a pilot is not a mech. It's a robot. So the name is just wrong.

Weird how I was so excited for this, but now I'm much more excited by the Cyber Drone.

I agree - the quasi-NASA colors made a lot of sense with the rover, but they don't work with the mining mech.  I figure it's just an attempt at some sort of unnecessary quasi-continuity.  The minifig in the cyber drone might be left over from excess production for the rover, so they just swapped the head.

Oh, and another thing. That bug mech thing is kinda cool but the other build might be the stupidest, ugliest thing I've ever seen. WTF is it even?

7 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

A clear picture of the Space Mining Mech has been released (via Brickset):

I am not sure why the arm with the saw is orange, since the rest of the mech is white with a bit of red and dark blue.

I suspect it's probably colored "safety orange" as a high-visibility warning for pilots and technicians exercise caution around that part of the mech. The Power Miners theme used orange very similarly, with that color mostly showing up on or around any hazardous moving parts. In real life, the use of orange to signal mechanical hazards is a common recommendation with a lot of workplace safety standards, including OSHA and ANSI standards.

11 minutes ago, danth said:

Yeah, I don't really get this "It's NASA but it's also Sci-Fi, kinda" thing LEGO is trying with these Creator sets. White, with red and dark blue stripes, is the NASA color scheme. The orange is another NASA color but it's usually on part of the main rocket booster. 

I'm not sure if they're trying to imitate NASA specifically, or real-world space agencies more generally. After all, ESA, CNSA, JAXA, and Roscosmos spacecraft also often tend to be white with yellow, red and/or dark blue accents.

2 minutes ago, danth said:

Also, yeah, a mech without a pilot is not a mech. It's a robot. So the name is just wrong. 

I had assumed the bricks showing behind the windscreen of all three models were intended to represent pilots. But in the case of the main model it appears like it might be intended as a robot pilot, which raises some questions of efficiency! :tongue: The other two models appear to have alien pilots that reuse parts from the green alien in the main model.

3 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I'm not sure if they're trying to imitate NASA specifically, or real-world space agencies more generally. After all, ESA, CNSA, JAXA, and Roscosmos spacecraft also often tend to be white with yellow, red and/or dark blue accents.

True, NASA or NASA-like entities. Real world stuff was my point.

3 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I had assumed the bricks showing behind the windscreen of all three models were intended to represent pilots. But in the case of the main model it appears like it might be intended as a robot pilot, which raises some questions of efficiency! :tongue: The other two models appear to have alien pilots that reuse parts from the green alien in the main model.

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind that it was some sort of robot pilot, or maybe just a weird robot brain cube thing? It looks like transparent bricks. Maybe it's designed to be removed so you can put in a minifig.

Pretty hard to tell what's going on with the alt builds, but you're right, the alien parts are where the "pilot" would be. Alien piloted mechs would be interesting!

Edited by danth

31115 certainly looks like a great set, but I wish it was blue and yellow...

So obviously there's the new Orange "classic space" guy in the latest book, when I went looking for that book at my local Barnes and Noble I found this book, with a "classic space" mini build:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lego-absolutely-everything-you-need-to-know-dorling-kindersley-publishing-staff/1125812563

I realize this might not be the exact right place to post this, are these the only two "classic space" inspired things that have come out since the Lego Movie 2 benny sets? I don't check Lego stuff too often, just want to make sure I didn't miss anything else in the classic space style...