Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

On 1/15/2021 at 5:21 PM, Robert8 said:

#legoleaks on Instagram

I should finally get an instagram account :laugh:

Edit: some Google search did help for the robot.

Edited by bondp99

On 12/29/2020 at 7:14 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

A picture of one of the Minifigs from the Ninjago City Gardens set leaked, and he appears to have an updated version of the Ice Planet torso. 

What do I search to find this torso image? 

On 1/21/2021 at 3:13 AM, Fuppylodders said:

What do I search to find this torso image? 

There is an image of the TCG card on ebay:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/LEGO-Ninjago-Serie-6-71-Eisverkaeufer-Helden-Karte-/303857459395?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Edit: The torso is not included in the City Gardens Set. It is only a TCG image.

Edited by bondp99
Added additional info.

According to Zusammengebaut's toy fair coverage, this summer will have Friends in Space, featuring Emma's Space Shuttle and Stephanie's Moon Base.

https://zusammengebaut.com/live-ticker-keine-spielwarenmesse-2021-alle-lego-neuheiten-113557/

Edit, the joke's on me, apparently.  It's not April 1, and Zusammengebaut is usually a trustworthy source.  Sorry about that.

The entire article was a joke by Zusammengebaut, and they admitted as such deep in the comments.  I don't usually read the comments on Zusammengebaut, so I took the article at face value even though it seemed a little strange.  I'm sorry for posting something false.  It was entirely unintentional.  Gosh darnit, the 27th of January is not the 1st of April!

Edited by icm

So it appears that Bionacle has won the 90th anniversary fan vote but the internet appears to think that Lego will make a Classic Space set instead (the #2 winner). As a classic space fan myself, this makes me very happy, but I haven't seen any talk of this over here. What do you guys think of this? And also wouldn't it be great to get a $200 Classic Space set similar to the Barracuda Bay set?

On 1/31/2021 at 1:28 AM, GeoBrick said:

Let's wait for the vote on the final three contenders, shall we?

Technically, final vote winner is irrelevant to the set they make. 

Whatever is going to be made, is a long way off being made known, so it's going to be speculation for ages

Edited by Fuppylodders

You're right. But up to the moment the final vote comes up, we don't know which the three choices are.

I'm sure everyone's aware of this polybag that came with a few books

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lego-absolutely-everything-you-need-to-know-dorling-kindersley-publishing-staff/1125812563?ean=9781465471932

My local BN had three of the book on for $10 each. Online is still regular price. YMMV of course. I realize there's probly an actual "deals" section but this set is so niche I figured I'd post here instead.

Some catalog pages leaked on IG for a little bit (they're gone now). One of the pics was of a Disney themed space set, 10774. It seems more of a space exploration set, but it has a non-minifig scale brick built rocket done like pulp sci-fi.

I really wish Lego would stop beating around the bush and make a Steampunk wave! I'd love to see all sorts of different interesting builds. A dirigible would be great!

Forget steampunk, I want some cyberpunk stuff.

We got the Tron set of course and there are a few things that have a bit of a cyberpunk vibe to them (such as Terabyte from Ultra Agents with that torso design and the neat helmet he wears) but we have never had much beyond that to the best of my knowledge.

On 3/22/2021 at 11:26 PM, jonwil said:

Forget steampunk, I want some cyberpunk stuff.

We got the Tron set of course and there are a few things that have a bit of a cyberpunk vibe to them (such as Terabyte from Ultra Agents with that torso design and the neat helmet he wears) but we have never had much beyond that to the best of my knowledge.

Ninjago Prime Empire is about as cyberpunk as you can get in Lego form.  They should still be fairly easy to find on store shelves but are definitely nearing the end of their run.

Duh, how could I forget that.

I even bought the green arcade pod.

Although for some reason most of the sets just didn't appeal to me (even as a lover of Cyberpunk). I guess I am looking for something closer to the style of Cyberpunk you see in Tron or in the William Gibson stuff rather than the more Japanese Anime type Cyberpunk that the Ninjago sets are no doubt inspired by.

On 3/26/2021 at 4:14 AM, jonwil said:

Duh, how could I forget that.

I even bought the green arcade pod.

Although for some reason most of the sets just didn't appeal to me (even as a lover of Cyberpunk). I guess I am looking for something closer to the style of Cyberpunk you see in Tron or in the William Gibson stuff rather than the more Japanese Anime type Cyberpunk that the Ninjago sets are no doubt inspired by.

It's funny I never considered Tron to be cyberpunk, though I see why it would be considered such.  I always think "Neon Anime" when I hear "cyberpunk", basically exactly the Prime Empire Ninjago line.

I guess it is sort of like Wild West versus Victorian steampunk.  They have obvious overlap but the style can be quite different.

When I think cyberpunk I think of the movie Hackers, which, for a live action movie, has a very anime sensibility.  Eclectic, often clashing, clothing, wearable tech, and some BDSM overlap. Wildstyle from The Lego Movie falls into this vibe. From CMF Series 19, give the Mountain Biker the Video Game Champ's headgear.

Ultra Agents had quite a lot of cyberpunk vibes, IMO, even beyond Terabyte's design. For instance, the Ultra Agents' vehicles all have very Tron-like color schemes — black with brightly-glowing neon accents. Agent Solomon Blaze's car from 70162 in particular closely resembles the design of the spinners from the movie Blade Runner. And the Ultra Agents minifigures have all kinds of cyberpunk-looking wearable tech like cybernetic leg braces or helmets or visors with a digital overlay.

I've also seen a lot of people point out that the Ninjago City sets seem to be heavily cyberpunk-influenced, particularly due to their towering structure, densely-packed shops and apartments, gaudy signs/posters/billboards, and the implied economic, technological, and social divides between residents and business owners in the higher and lower levels of the city.

I wonder if Johnny Mnemonic would be considered "acceptable" on LEGO Ideas...

EDIT: Looks to be rated "R" in the US according to IMDB so that probably rules it out...

Edited by jonwil

On 3/27/2021 at 10:06 PM, Lord Insanity said:

It's funny I never considered Tron to be cyberpunk, though I see why it would be considered such.  I always think "Neon Anime" when I hear "cyberpunk", basically exactly the Prime Empire Ninjago line.

I guess it is sort of like Wild West versus Victorian steampunk.  They have obvious overlap but the style can be quite different.

On 3/27/2021 at 11:41 PM, gedren_y said:

When I think cyberpunk I think of the movie Hackers, which, for a live action movie, has a very anime sensibility.  Eclectic, often clashing, clothing, wearable tech, and some BDSM overlap. Wildstyle from The Lego Movie falls into this vibe. From CMF Series 19, give the Mountain Biker the Video Game Champ's headgear.

Tron is "cyber" but it's not really cyber-"punk" (although the second one leans a little more that way). Blade Runner, Neuromancer, Snow Crash + The Diamond Age are all much closer to the spirit of the genre (probably could include The Matrix in that list too). Ninjago definitely has a bit of that feel as well, though obviously toned down a lot for the audience. Hackers is undeniably both "cyber" and "punk" but by virtue of being modern day (at the time it was made) doesn't really have the dystopian vibe usually associated with the genre.

[edit]

I might say that the relationship between "Hackers" and the cyberpunk genre is similar to the relationship between "Fanboys" and the Star Wars series (or maybe even "Galaxy Quest" to Star Trek). It's by and for people who are in love with that culture, but it's also a bit meta and thus outside the genre.

Edited by elfprince13

New trans-yellow windscreen part alert in set 60295, on the magenta roofed-monster truck:

60295-1.jpg?202101130713

Oh, and side note, Rocket Racer (FINALLY) becomes a real minifig:

60298-1.jpg?202101130714

He is from the Racers games of the late 1990's.

A three-set space subtheme is rumoured for City 2022: 

On 9/20/2021 at 6:38 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

60348 Moon Rover - $29.99

60349 Lunar Space Station - $59.99

60350 Lunar Research Base - $99.99

15 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Do you think there is a possibility for more and we just haven’t heard about them yet?. The speed champions set list looked a little thin too.

15 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I wonder if there would be a random alien in one of these sets. Who knows…