Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

11 minutes ago, JamesBenjamin said:

So obviously there's the new Orange "classic space" guy in the latest book, when I went looking for that book at my local Barnes and Noble I found this book, with a "classic space" mini build:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lego-absolutely-everything-you-need-to-know-dorling-kindersley-publishing-staff/1125812563

I realize this might not be the exact right place to post this, are these the only two "classic space" inspired things that have come out since the Lego Movie 2 benny sets? I don't check Lego stuff too often, just want to make sure I didn't miss anything else in the classic space style...

Well, there's the series 20 Space Fan minifigure who has a Galaxy Explorer T-shirt, and a couple recolors of the updated Classic Space helmet in a Ninjago set and a Disney set, but that's all I can manage to remember even after a quick look through recent stuff on Brickset to refresh my memory. It's possible there's more I'm forgetting, though!

I”m not sure if this post does relate to the thread or not. If so, I apologize for this. 

Anyways, I noticed that there were the 90s theme sets, called “Time Cruisers” and I never heard o that theme. I was very young at that time. To me, these sets don’t look interesting without including any historical features (figures/builds).

I think it would be a cool Sci-FI review Time Cruisers! This gives me some ideas. Good time travelers make their journey through time to thwart evil time travelers from alternating timelines. For example, good guys go to save king or queen from bad guys, who engineer the fall of the kingdom in evil knight’s hand. Or bad guys smuggle dinosaurs or Ice Age creatures from the primitive time into present time. Or good guys protect treasures from evil ones across eras. Evil guys’ ultimate intention would be to cause “timequake” which all eras collapse into one single time. 

Of course we do have Marty McFly’s time machine car or Time Lord’s TARDiS, but I would love to see some sci-fi/time-traveling theme revived. 

Okay, again, I apologize if it’s so random from this thread! 

14 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Well, there's the series 20 Space Fan minifigure who has a Galaxy Explorer T-shirt, and a couple recolors of the updated Classic Space helmet in a Ninjago set and a Disney set, but that's all I can manage to remember even after a quick look through recent stuff on Brickset to refresh my memory. It's possible there's more I'm forgetting, though!

Thanks!

One other tiny Classic Space reference from this year - this was one of the "surprise charms" from the DOTS Bracelet Mega Pack:

98138pb151.png

That Second build in the mining mech is so terrible it circles back round to good for me, like I really don't like the base set but that weird, gangly legged beast is making me genuinely consider getting this set

Late to the party (hadn't seen this thread), but I have a few things to say:

1. Amazing that we get two sci-fi figs in the new CMF series. I don't even know when was the last time this happened. So nice to get this after what has felt like a drought!

2. Big fan of that new droid coming out. Will definitely be Bricklinking the guy.

3. Here's hoping this 2021 or soon brings about the mythical purple spaceman and/or the green helmet in the classic mold!

Oh gross.  That space police torso print is such a let down.  I have never viewed the gold stripe on Futuron / Space Police 1 torsos to be zippers.  In fact until I just looked at mine today I never even realized they have a small gold blob in the corner that was apparently intended to be a zipper.  Seriously, I have never noticed that in over 30 years of playing with Futuron figs.  I always thought it was just gold braid trim like you see on various formal dress uniforms.  At least the "police" on the back can be covered up by air tanks.

Simply removing the "police" wording off the back and actual zipper handle of the front would make that torso ten times more useful to me.  I guess I will never see my ideal Futuron torso update because the zipper is considered part of it.  Bummer.  At least we got that awesome torso print with the classic logo from the creator sets.

I really like the alien miner's torso though.  Much like the creator space torso, it strikes the perfect balance between highly detailed yet generic enough to use multiples of in many different situations and scenarios.

3 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

Oh gross.  That space police torso print is such a let down.  I have never viewed the gold stripe on Futuron / Space Police 1 torsos to be zippers.  In fact until I just looked at mine today I never even realized they have a small gold blob in the corner that was apparently intended to be a zipper.  Seriously, I have never noticed that in over 30 years of playing with Futuron figs.  I always thought it was just gold braid trim like you see on various formal dress uniforms.  At least the "police" on the back can be covered up by air tanks.

I always recognized it as a zipper, even though my only Futuron figs were from secondhand lots my folks got at yard sales… after all, besides the toothed pattern, it also has a zipper pull clearly visible on the left shoulder

Previously, the green "neo-futuron" fig introduced as a LEGO store display in the LEGO City set 60097 retained the zipper pull while covering up the zipper itself with a strip of fabric. I found that update really surprising, since it sort of undermined the appeal of getting that particular spacesuit design in a new color, but it did fit with the sort of "modernized throwback" approach that we've seen on a lot of other minifigures based on "classic" equivalents. That said, I prefer the way the Space Police Guy's torso is modernized in a way that keeps the old suit's defining elements like the gold zipper more visible.

A greater frustration I have with that particular minifigure is that the "riot gear" makes me a little uncomfortable, particularly since the geometric designs of the riot shield markings are the only indication that it belongs specifically to a sci-fi setting. I honestly would have been more comfortable if the figure carried a transparent "energy/laser shield" of some kind. Plus, while the body armor is nice and versatile (especially with such simple gold Classic Space printing), the figure looks both less aggressive AND more iconic/distinctive without it. So I would have probably have preferred if the designers had chosen to replace it with an oxygen tank, jetpack, or even protective gear that only covers the shoulders.

Also, even though the blaster piece is not genuinely realistic, it feels more aggressive than I'd prefer to see in a police context. I greatly preferred how the Space Police 3 officers carried simple freeze rays that more closely resembled old-school LEGO Space ray guns with big colorful lights at the end. Not only do those sorts of features feel less blatantly "gun-like", but it also evokes a very retro, pulp magazine sort of charm, as opposed to the edgier, more serious tone evoked by this twin-barrel "space gun".

Edited by Aanchir

20 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I honestly would have been more comfortable if the figure carried a transparent "energy/laser shield" of some kind.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, but I agree with this the most. Especially a red laser shield. I was always obsessed with this piece as a kid and would welcome another trans red shield. The same shield we're getting in white would be AMAZING in trans red.

EDIT: and @Aanchir, if you want to tell me why the trans red plastic is too brittle for that shield, I'll try not to be too butthurt about you crushing my dreams. :grin:

Edited by danth

11 hours ago, danth said:

I pretty much agree with everything you said, but I agree with this the most. Especially a red laser shield. I was always obsessed with this piece as a kid and would welcome another trans red shield. The same shield we're getting in white would be AMAZING in trans red.

EDIT: and @Aanchir, if you want to tell me why the trans red plastic is too brittle for that shield, I'll try not to be too butthurt about you crushing my dreams. :grin:

I can't think of any reason that this shield couldn't be molded in a transparent color. After all, several of the issues I'd previously been aware of with transparent parts — and often frustrated with myself — have been negated now that LEGO has switched their transparent material from polycarbonate (PC) to methyl methacrylate-acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (MABS).

As the name implies, the new material shares a lot of its chemical properties with the ABS that LEGO uses for solid-colored bricks. If the properties are similar enough, LEGO might even be able to produce transparent versions of that shield on the same mold they use for solid-colored ones.

That said, please keep in mind that I know next to nothing about the chemical engineering or mechanical engineering considerations involved in LEGO production aside from what I've seen shared by people more knowledgeable than me! :blush:

15 hours ago, danth said:

Oh that would have been awesome.  I am lucky enough to have 2 of those original trans red shields.  I wisely took very good care of them as a kid and they are still in excellent condition today.  I would have loved getting that newer shield in trans red.

Slightly off topic but I thought everyone else would find it amusing.  I asked my 12 year old daughter whether or not the Futuron figs have a zipper or not.  She looked at me like I was nuts and said: "Duh, of course they do!"  :roflmao:   Then she proceeded to have Sweet Mayhem commandeer my Stardefender 200 and fly it around.  Kids are great.  :wub:

5 minutes ago, Lord Insanity said:

Oh that would have been awesome.  I am lucky enough to have 2 of those original trans red shields.  I wisely took very good care of them as a kid and they are still in excellent condition today.  I would have loved getting that newer shield in trans red.

Slightly off topic but I thought everyone else would find it amusing.  I asked my 12 year old daughter whether or not the Futuron figs have a zipper or not.  She looked at me like I was nuts and said: "Duh, of course they do!:roflmao:   Then she proceeded to have Sweet Mayhem commandeer my Stardefender 200 and fly it around.  Kids are great.  :wub:

Aww, thank you for sharing that heartwarming moment!

And don't worry, you're far from the only person who grew up with some weird interpretations of patterned elements like that back when the details were so heavily simplified compared to today's counterparts. For instance, for a long time I thought the Spyrius torso pattern was supposed to be a front-view picture of a spaceship, with the silver trapezoids near the center as its windscreens. And even more embarrassingly, I mistook the female Islander torso for some sort of abstract butterfly-shaped necklace, and the two black lines that define the figure's cleavage as its antennae (similarly, I mistook the gray floral brooch and black lines representing bunched-up fabric on the bosom of the female figure in the Pizza to Go set for a decorative spider pattern)! :laugh_hard: Obviously, I realized these errors long before reaching adulthood, but I still can't help but feel a bit silly about how convinced I was of these details at the time.

It doesn't look like that fig is actually included in Ninjago City Gardens (it's just an illustration from a magazine), but there is an "Ice Planet" ice cream shop featured in the set.

19 hours ago, tafkatb said:

It doesn't look like that fig is actually included in Ninjago City Gardens (it's just an illustration from a magazine), but there is an "Ice Planet" ice cream shop featured in the set.

What magazine?

About sets. There is a The LEGO Movie 2 Collectible MiniFigure - Apocalypse Benny and the Space Rover Explorer 31107

(I included the rover because the minifig has a classic space logo)

Edited by HyperC

On 12/29/2020 at 7:56 PM, tafkatb said:

Given this new torso which seems to be a redesigned version of the classic ice planet torso and not like, a hoodie or something referencing it for city use, the prior rumors of a “classic theme returning later this year, lego seemingly being interested in expanding their library of original themes running at one time, and the consistent popularity of space stuff through nasa sets in ideas, creator sets, and how well the space themed movie sets sold, I’d definitely speculate that an ice planet revival of some kind could be coming, even if it would likely be “actionized” a bit compared to the old one.

The Alien from Vidiyo just leaked and looks really good!

Doesn't look any other "race" of type of aliens TLG has released before

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The Alien from Vidiyo just leaked and looks really good! 

Doesn't look any other "race" of type of aliens TLG has released before

Getting strong Seatron vibes!

And now the robot leaked

I like the alien better, but the robot has an interesting hairpiece

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

And now the robot leaked

I like the alien better, but the robot has an interesting hairpiece

Where can I find them?