Hi,

I'd like to present to you an older model that I designed for a customer some time ago. It is a 1:10 replica of the BMW X3. It is the first model that I designed that uses SBricks to control the model (two of them).

50631588253_88021564b3_c.jpg

It has four different drive modes:

manual (so you push and steer the model by hand)
rear wheel drive
rear wheel drive with driven center differential (effectively giving a power distribution of 75-25 between rear and front axle)
four wheel drive

50632330496_9808c55ed3_c.jpg

It also has eight LEDs for the lights in the front and the rear. The outer ones double as indicator lights as well.

The bodywork was one of the most challenging I've ever done. Because these SUV's are all very boxy and similar it really comes down to the details to get it right. In this side view you can see the small angle running from the front to the back. Also the roofline is tapering down at the end. I still wanted the model to be so sturdy that you can lift it from the roof. So every angle that see is fixed in place. To make the challenge even bigger my customer insisted on having a DBG livery, reducing the amount of available parts. One of the areas that notable suffered from this is the area below the rear lights. I've tried many solutions, but this was the least cluttered I could come up with.

50632424357_3eeb345bb0_c.jpg

The interior is fully detailed, with adjustable seats in the front and a bench that can fold down in the back. JaapTechnic even made custom stickers for this model. It has independent suspension on all wheels and a working steering wheel and HoG.

All doors can be opened, the hood and trunk as well and even the sunroof can slide 'open' (which is a bit of a strange term when the whole sunroof consists of nothing but a few axles shaping the outer contour).

Comments, questions, constructive criticism, etc are all welcomed as usual

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

Wonderful job, very agressive look, I love it.

Any chance for a video or more pictures? How did you manage to get the power distribution between axles?

Way to create a moc with the Landrover wheels. Not many out there.  

The front grill sure is creative.  I think it captures to front well.  

Not too sure about the back wheel arches though. Fairly larger gap between those two side panels

It's instantly recognizable and I like the fact it's in a dark grey color. Like others said a video and more detailed shots would be appreciated.

Boring car to select to build. But if somebody pays for that, why not.

Anyway, model looks more interesting than real one.

I really like the angle up the side. As you say, unremarkable vehicles require the small things to be spot on as with a lot of these vehicles the bodywork is kind of innocuous. 
I’d much rather see a moc of this than yet another italian supercar from a teenage boys bedroom wall.

I do not like SUV's, but the model is quite close to its real counterpart. The land rover wheels are the perfect choice for this scale.

I like the use of these windshield pices as headlights, I thought about that too but didn't get the chance on any of my MOCs yet.

There are some gaps in the bodywork over the rear wheel, but sometimes its hard or impossible to leave a gap somewhere, i know.

I'd like to see a bellyshot and some insight of the drivetrain as well. Of course a Video would be appreachited as well.

Overall, it looks great and instantly recognizable.

One suggestion: I think the pin 3L with friction could have been black instead.

Hello! Bodywork looks complex and finished! Every part is on it's place! Great job! 

PS: Front gril is.. epic!

Es[ecially I love front and rear lights!! :pir-love:

7 hours ago, Jurss said:

Boring car to select to build. But if somebody pays for that, why not.

Anyway, model looks more interesting than real one.

I have to agree... I would probably never build such a vehicle on my own!

7 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I like the use of these windshield pices as headlights, I thought about that too but didn't get the chance on any of my MOCs yet.

I have used those parts as headlights on a 1993 Toyota Supra (A mistake on my part) and on the Ford Mustang GT500 in my profile pic (A much better idea)

Otherwise, it looks like an impressive and interesting model!

That may be the first model I have seen to use that wheel/tire combination, and the DBG color scheme is very unique!

Good work!

It’s refreshing to see a car in DBG, you’ve done a great with the parts available in that colour. I love the front grill and headlights.

I'm a sucker for 1:10 cars, so seeing another one is always good.

But, with all respect, I think this is not your best work. It is recognizable and as always very much detailed and finished, but I think the looks suffered from the color and scale used. And the subject matter itself doesn't help either... It looks a bit too much 'many panels wrapped around a chassis' instead of a fluidly flowing body imho. Probably in 1:8 you would have been able to capture the shapes much more accurately, given your skills and talent. But still, very impressive model, outstanding parts use (front grill, lights, exhausts, rims+tires) and way above my level of building:thumbup:

Great build again. I am particularly interested in the front of the car, the headlights and the grill are great use of parts. Like others, some parts of the bodywork are a little clunky (like the rear) but you did well with the parts available in DBG. The gentle upwards slope on the side is great, and helps the overall proportion of the car. I also like the gentle downward slope on the roof. I, like you, require a firm roof, so I applaud the work you put into this part of the build. 

Those 42110 rims look great with the racing tires.

Really nice build. Contrary to the common sense and others’ opinion I really dig the rear part. Everything there just feels right, like it is painted in big stokes.

Good job. 

Edited by proran
typos

Hey! Sorry for bumping a bit abandoned topic, but I want to admit the highest quality and attention to details of this SUV. I don't want to disassemble it for a year I assume.

IMG_1836IMG_4867

Now Im investigating to build it's body in red. Or white.. or yellow, idk yet.