I just got myself one of the old distribution block parts from the 80's original pneumatic system, with the internal one-way valves, and I think it is an underappreciated piece. For example, it can be used to allow any pneumatic cylinder of all time to be used as a pump: one must simply attach either port of the cylinder to the center of the distribution block, and then connect the right-side output of the block to your valves. This could be useful for large displacement motorized compressors; I just built one powered by an XL motor using a medium (formerly large) cylinder, and it works just fine. I am not certain, but I think by using a few of these blocks one could make a cylinder-compressor that pumps on both extension and retraction strokes.

Are you guys aware of these possibilities?

Do you have any other ideas for how this unique part could be used?

I've been meaning to get a few of these as I have some ideas. Maybe you could try them?

Firstly, say you have a model with multiple pneumatic functions. When you open one valve, the pressure drops in the system as the air goes to the cylinder you just operated. If you have another valve left open, and it is controlling a cylinder that is holding up some weight, that cylinder will drop. So I'm thinking you can use a one way valve inline with each of the valve inputs to prevent air flowing back out the wrong way when other functions are activated.

The second idea I had was, if you have a cylinder that is lifting a weight, and you are heavy handed with the valves and like to open it all the way so it just drops, is there a way of using the one way valve to divert air that is exiting the bottom of the cylinder through some adjustable restriction, so that it will always lower in a nice controlled way, while allowing full flow when raising? 

These things are easily done in industry but wonder if those old one way valve blocks could do the same.

I think you could double the force of the pneumatic rams using these blocks by applying both positive pressure and negative "suck" to the cylinders.

hmm I thought it was just a splitter, didnt know it had a one way valve in it.

so one nozzle is input only, then the middle nozzle is both input and output and then the 3rd nozzle is output only.

dist-block.png

they have rubber washers inside that act as the one way valves.... i know this as mine stopped working when i was about 11 (1983!!) so i took it to bits.. might even still have the remains. Never bin lego!!

I just tried Zerobrick's idea, and I got it working. One must use an old pump or any cylinder as the pump, since the modern pumps cannot generate suction. Unfortunately, at least in my design, I had to use four valves per cylinder! Two are powered by the suction output of the distribution block, while the other two are powered by the compression output. Each valve has only one output in use. One comp. valve and one suct. valve go to the top of the cylinder, while one comp. valve and one suct. valve go to the bottom of the cylinder. Unfortunately, control is fairly complicated. One must flip the bottom comp. valve and the top suct. valve on to extend the cylinder, and then switch those two off and switch the other two on to retract it. Perhaps it could be simplified further, but as it is, it is an interesting concept.

34 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I just tried Zerobrick's idea, and I got it working. One must use an old pump or any cylinder as the pump, since the modern pumps cannot generate suction. Unfortunately, at least in my design, I had to use four valves per cylinder! Two are powered by the suction output of the distribution block, while the other two are powered by the compression output. Each valve has only one output in use. One comp. valve and one suct. valve go to the top of the cylinder, while one comp. valve and one suct. valve go to the bottom of the cylinder. Unfortunately, control is fairly complicated. One must flip the bottom comp. valve and the top suct. valve on to extend the cylinder, and then switch those two off and switch the other two on to retract it. Perhaps it could be simplified further, but as it is, it is an interesting concept.

Glad to see it working. Maybe I'm gonna buy some of the valve blocks and try it myself.