CalimeroLego

[MOC] JCB 1CXT- Mini RC+Pneumatics Tracked Loader

Hello everyone,

Please let me introduce to you my first MOC on this website. I've been building for a while and finally I decided to share something; some of you that saw me in the Decreasing number of Mocs topic may be happy to see it.

50629156901_0418136207_c.jpg

by Guilhem Martineau, on Flickr

The 1CXT is a mini backhoe which particularity is to be driven by tracks and not wheels. As a mini backhoe it features a skid steer loader front and a rear mini excavator arm. The tracks allow for lower ground pressure, greater maneuverability and higher pushing or climbing power. Discover more about it here : JCB 1CXT

JCB_1CXT_backhoe_loader_ARA2020.5e3dcb9d

This build has been almost 1.5 years in the making as i don't have much time in engineering school. I designed it using blueprints of the real machine and the scale of it is approximately 1:10. The model is 33 cm long without attachments and the rear arm folded, 78 cm long at maximum length with the fork, 22 cm high and 16 cm wide.

50628422328_9e0195f109_c.jpg

This MOC is an hybrid of pneumatic and RC.

I. RC :

With the IR receiver you can control the drive with independent tracks control, and the movement of the front loader.

The first receiver is for the tracks. They are driven by one L-Motor each. There is a 12:25 ratio so it's enough to move around. The tracks feature a tension system with one soft spring on each track.

50629255727_0c7a554758_c.jpg

The second receiver is for the loader. One L-Motor controls the arm via a 20:12 ratio but I'm not happy with that, I can't figure how to fit a bigger ratio to gain some power. Because there are two big linear-actuators it's good enough. The attachment is tilted thanks to an M-Motor, directly hooked with two 12:12 90° transmission. then two mini linear actuators give the wanted movement. I am quite happy with the tilting range but not with the height, even tho I really can't do anything given the space that I have.

50629260762_b0341a8207_c.jpg 50629163321_256255c2a4_c.jpg

II. Motorized :

By turning the switch on the left side of the cab on, you start an XL-Motor and grant power to a second switch.

The XL-Motor powers a pneumatic pump and a two way gearbox in the rear of the backhoe. With a red knob you can actuate the outriggers in either way without having to make the XL-motor run in the other direction. The two big outriggers are strong enough to lift the entire machine off the ground. The second switch is located in the roof of the cab. By turning the beacon left or right you rotate the excavator arm via an M-Motor and a worm gear setup.

50629167091_313fd50366_c.jpg

III. Pneumatics :

The pump powered by the XL-Motor is hooked up to 4 switches that control the excavator arm. There are two of them in the cab and two sticking out of the roof. The one on the right hand side of the driver controls the first section of the arm and the one on the left the second section. The second section features an extension via a 1 stud thick cylinder controlled on the left when you are facing towards the arm. It takes the section from 15 to 20 cm to give the bucket, actuated by a 7 stud cylinder, a better reach.

50628415333_85e10040c6_c.jpg 50629258722_7f91c75dd8_c.jpg

IV. Conclusion :

Overall I am quite pleased with myself. The function setup might seem strange but there was no room for full RC and this was the best compromise I could find. The play-ability turned out to be great, my little brother loves it!

You can find more pictures on my flickr account!

Spoiler

Here is a summary of all the functions :

50629838496_c86289443e_c.jpg

Thank you for reading me and checking out my little loader!

Spoiler

I am sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, I don't have enough lights and my wall has scratches :wall: Also, English is not my mother tongue so I'm sorry for any mistake I may have made

Edited by CalimeroLego

What a way to introduce your first MOC here :)

You have captured the look and feel of the real machine very well.
Love all the functions, too.

Having planned to build the very same model, although in a slightly smaller 1:13 scale, I can really appreciate seeing one built in similar scale.
Very nice.

One suggestion, when you present a model based on a real model, it is always nice to put a picture of a real thing in your post.
I know you have a link to it, but posting a small image is more effective as people can see how it compares to your model, at the same page.

Great MOC (from JCB fan). I have one friendly advice; there is also yellow gear rack in 42097 set which could be helpful.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

This is really cool! Great job... Or should I say JCB? :wink:

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

Phenomenal job - love the looks and the huge amount of functions :pir-love:

40 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

Very nice MOC with a lot and very realistic functions :thumbup: .

Thank you all for the kind words! :blush:

1 hour ago, Milan said:

What a way to introduce your first MOC here :)

You have captured the look and feel of the real machine very well.
Love all the functions, too.

Having planned to build the very same model, although in a slightly smaller 1:13 scale, I can really appreciate seeing one built in similar scale.
Very nice.

One suggestion, when you present a model based on a real model, it is always nice to put a picture of a real thing in your post.
I know you have a link to it, but posting a small image is more effective as people can see how it compares to your model, at the same page.

Thanks, it's an honor coming from you ! I edited a picture to my first post :thumbup: And I'm looking forward to seeing your version!

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Great MOC (from JCB fan). I have one friendly advice; there is also yellow gear rack in 42097 set which could be helpful.

Thanks ! I've been following the work on your Fastrac with great interest :wink: Unfortunately I don't own any yellow gear rack and I won't buy one (at least not just now), but thanks for the suggestion :thumbup:

@CalimeroLego thanks for interest on my Fastrac. In reality it is done, but I'm very bad photographer in English weather conditions, so no new uploads to my tread. There is also a bricklink for gear rack but you know the best what is possible and not

Wow, the number of functions is staggering !! Looks like everything is packed very tightly. I can imagine it would have taken multiple iterations to get everything to fit together perfectly. Well, the final result is surely worth it !

And yes, would love to see a video of it in action.

Thanks for sharing !

Great first MOC. Real look is captured.

Really interesting to combine pneumatics with actuators in one set. I think I never saw something like that before. At lest so wide usage.

Pictures are pretty OK. Most of us don't have photo studio and Hasselblads.

Really well done! 

You only have to replace the grey gear rack on the excavator boom with a yellow one :classic:

I always admire haow people can place many functions into a small scale! Welldone!

Can you fit a bucket? I imagine 2951 would be ideal size but fork looks good too.

Hey everyone, thanks for the kind answers ! Yes it is quite packed, the compartment under the seat is full of tubes and cables, I wasn’t able to make it perfectly clean... And I’m really proud to have amazed some of you ! For the video, I will get a GoPro during the month, and with the shooting time I hope to be able to upload it early January ! 

On 11/22/2020 at 5:53 PM, KevinMD said:

Can you fit a bucket? I imagine 2951 would be ideal size but fork looks good too.

This bucket is unfortunately not wide enough but thanks for thinking about it :)

Wow, great job. Like others, I have to admire especially the tubework and functionality of the backhoe arm. So many functions in so small space.