Hi!

After several attempts, I feel like i finally have something presentable:

50629916671_e5bc05458a_c.jpg

Not exactly sure what to call it as it isn't really a real car, but I like to think of it as a rally truck. It has independent steered suspension in the front and a live axle in the back. It also has a dummy flat 4 engine in the front which is connected to the rear wheels via silicone LEGO band (because the chassis is too dense for any other method). 

More photos:

50629173193_50b0ef07a9_h.jpg

50630016572_55bdb32ccb_c.jpg

I posted this here for feedback before I make instructions. Please let me know any and every problem you can see so that I can try my best at resolving it!

-TechnicRCRacer

Looks cool, although I think you should try to reduce the length of the hood to make the proportions a bit more truck-like. Alternatively, you could go full hatchback mode, extend the roof a few studs back and give it a whale tail spoiler like on an RS Cosworth.

42 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Interesting part choice for the headlights! I also like seeing those new tires in use.

Thank you! I love these new tires and they were the inspiration for this build.

40 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Looks cool, although I think you should try to reduce the length of the hood to make the proportions a bit more truck-like. Alternatively, you could go full hatchback mode, extend the roof a few studs back and give it a whale tail spoiler like on an RS Cosworth.

I will definitely consider this, I am unhappy with the hood myself. I'm having trouble making it more flat because the wheels rub on the underside of the hood.

31 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

I like the back mudguards and the wheels.

Thanks!

Looks great! I think you could use the tires from 42099 instead to make it a good off-roader.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

12 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

which is connected to the rear wheels via silicone LEGO band (because the chassis is too dense for any other method)

How that is done? Some more pictures needed. But ... You didn't tried enough ;)

Are different rims in front and rear intentionally?

5 hours ago, Jurss said:

Some more pictures needed.

+1

Looks like a very decent MOC, it is finished all around in a coherent way. Maybe not the prettiest of MOCs out there, but it has a very distinct own style. I'll choose this over yet another supercar replica every day:thumbup:.

Would love to see a bot more of the insides though, I have a feeling that the prettiest part is hidden under those panels...

@Jurss and @Rudivdk Here are some photos of the chassis:

50634457542_1a97dcb80a_z.jpg

50634373881_a9ba078616_z.jpg

50633623913_0e97fa5e43_z.jpg

50634373841_220d06524e_h.jpg

22 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Looks great! I think you could use the tires from 42099 instead to make it a good off-roader.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

I will try them out, they may be too big. Time to pull out the 42070 again!

11 hours ago, Jurss said:

Are different rims in front and rear intentionally?

Haha, my mistake! I misplaced my 6-pin wheels earlier and forgot to replace this one. I just replaced it!

5 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

+1

Looks like a very decent MOC, it is finished all around in a coherent way. Maybe not the prettiest of MOCs out there, but it has a very distinct own style. I'll choose this over yet another supercar replica every day:thumbup:.

Would love to see a bot more of the insides though, I have a feeling that the prettiest part is hidden under those panels...

Thank you! I do not feel like I have improved on bodywork at all. The parts seem to go together in my head better than they go together in real life. I will probably try to redo the bodywork on this car side it is easily removable (not an intended feature).

Ok, now I see how really aheels are connected to engine, because for me first description was unclear.

Does that additional lower axle was really neccesary? Getting rid of it could be one of improvements.

13 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Thank you! I do not feel like I have improved on bodywork at all. The parts seem to go together in my head better than they go together in real life. I will probably try to redo the bodywork on this car side it is easily removable (not an intended feature).

I think different... you have succeeded in making a whole, non-cluttered bodyshell which is coherent and pretty much in correct proportions all around. That's a big step. Don't underestimate the power of experience gained over this, next time you'll be able to go for that bit of extra flair in the bodywork. I'd recommend starting a new MOC instead of improving this one, you might end up deadlocked with your current build at some point because all the chassis hardpoints are pretty much set already. Unless you're willing to tweak your chassis as well of course...

One trick I often use when designing (complex) bodywork shapes is making a 3d CAD model with all the bodywork pieces 'floating' where I envision them. This quickly gives you a good idea whether your ideas will actually work or not. Once that is done, I try to work out the proper mounting structure for those pieces 1 by 1, both digitally and with real bricks. It takes more than a handful of tries sometimes to get the proper angle for certain areas, but usually I end up with something pretty close to what I intended.

@Rudivdk I think your trick may have worked. For my next MOC I have started with the bodywork first. Have a look:

50666575218_30c3c2718f_b.jpg

Everything looks crooked because the hood/bonnet is not connected to the front. It is propped up by two light bley pins.