Sign in to follow this  
Jurss

[WIP] Renault 5 turbo rally (WIP V2.0)

Unfortunately no.

But it is almost in the same state as in last picture. Somehow I didn't had time for this.

There is still hope. Now there will be wintertime, then maybe more time for Lego.

Almost year has gone. After lot of other things MOC was in this state

800x450.jpg

As today it is really autumn with raining all day, restarted this with improwing gear shifter movemnet range

Was like this

800x1481.jpg

Changed to this

800x1402.jpg

Then switching precision needed to be improved, so I limited the movment of that 90deg arm to the lever, also moved it half stud back, so it is in the center of those 2L driving rings in gearbox

800x678.jpg

Also on the sides there are limiters.

Now it is back on the wheels. Also reinforced gearbox and connected engined to gearbox.

800x325.jpg

Did measurments, somehow wheelbase is 3 studs too long. And I need to get white rims for front.

Thank You. Ordered white rims for front on bricklink. Got in to order of ~100EUR :)

This is looking great Jurss!Ā Ā :thumbup:Ā  Ā Such an iconic rally car done in Technic, i'm predicting the end result is going to look really good!Ā  Actually, out of interest have you given any thoughts to the headlights?Ā  I don't know whether you'reĀ for or against using the odd System part here and there, but i think part number 3823 / 35260 (2x4x2 transparent windscreen) would make a nice solution.Ā 

34 minutes ago, Dazzzy said:

2x4x2 transparent windscreen

This could be in scale. Maybe too wide, I think theres something more like 2x3. I was thinking about somthing made from some tiles. But who knows.

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

This could be in scale. Maybe too wide, I think theres something more like 2x3. I was thinking about somthing made from some tiles. But who knows.

Yes, 2x3 probably would be more to scale. Tiles would look really good too, especially using the rounded corner ones.Ā 

I checked, in fact it is 2x3.6 to be in scale. I think, I will stack system tiles or something, then put it sideways.

It may look the same, but is spent two evenings to make everything work again, after I shortened wheelbase to needed lenght

800x393.jpg

I think I remember, why wheelbase was longer. I made it littlebit longer year ago, so I can use that 16L technic link. It was needed, as beam toched 24T gear. At the other end largest gear is 20T. And I put gearbox that way, as there there was 5x11 frame, which not allowed that 24T gear there.

Now I turned gearbox around. So I can use something different than 16L link. So I also replaced that 5x11 frame with 11L crossbeams.

800x403.jpg

Now need to start think about steering. Maybe also HOG steering, as this will be fully manual model.

FInally had time. Added steering. No ideas for HOG steering, as gear lever is in the way pretty much. And I don't want to put it on the front hood.

800x388.jpg

Simply put one spare tire in the front, as I remember, that it should be there. At least in some cases it was there on original car. Just don't know yet, if it will fit in front.

Some really small change - white rims in front.

Does HOG have to be in center? If it could be few studs to the right or left then you can put it at the side of gear lever ...

I think, I will try to make some beta version of whole car. Then, maybe, will think of HOG steering.

Wanted to continue, found issue

800x658.jpg

And then there is almost issue, it somehow works, and, when in some gear, in not touches the gears

800x495.jpg

but it is not good.

I'm afraid, I need to redesign gearbox etc.

I know the feeling; today realized that on my project I need 9 studs liftarms to connect steering hubs and there is no such liftarms with perpendicular holesĀ :ugh: so back to the drawing board...at least I've gave up with gearbox and fake engines...