The new technic set, 42116 Skid Steer Loader has been revealed on Van Der Muelen:

42116-1.jpg?1

Discuss below.

Edited by JintaiZ

13 minutes ago, aeh5040 said:

Hard to understand how the steering can work (if that's what it is).

That was my initial reaction as well, but upon a closer look, I don't think this has steering.  I think the knob on the roof raises the main boom via a worm gear, and the knob on the side tips the bucket.

3 minutes ago, dhc6twinotter said:

I think the knob on the roof raises the main boom via a worm gear, and the knob on the side tips the bucket. 

There isn't much space for a worm gear, I don't know if this is possible. I think the main boom might be raised just by normal gears but with friction pins on one of the axles.

1 hour ago, Gumalca said:

There isn't much space for a worm gear, I don't know if this is possible. I think the main boom might be raised just by normal gears but with friction pins on one of the axles.

I'm pretty sure it's something like this:

50627080902_9464577163_z.jpg

I don't know how the red 6L axle is connected to the bottom white beam, so I left that out.  The above I'm fairly certain of though.  My guess is the red 6L axle uses a lever that either rests on the bottom of the white beam, or has a small (3L) vertical beam the runs from the lever to the white beam.

2 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

Hard to understand how the steering can work (if that's what it is).

Well... I can confirm that it doesn't have steering. If it does, TLG would show it in the box art! :laugh:

2 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I don't understand why this set has DBG, tan and blue pins.

Dunno about the DBG pins, but the other two would just be for standard reasons. Sometimes you need friction, sometimes you don't. I think the DBG is meant to be a blue one, because it's blue on the box art.

A definite buy! Glad to see the return of the Arocs bucket and also the black bushing! I’m happy the black bushing is in a cheaper set now.

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

3 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Well... I can confirm that it doesn't have steering. If it does, TLG would show it in the box art! :laugh:

But these machines don't have steering in real life, so the model is correct. They work like tracked machines.

Can't figure out what's happening on the other side.

Why there is 6L axle under the seats, as it then should stick out on the other side, and how that lifting axle is connected to liftarm. Maybe just beam 4x2 is supporting it from bottom? But also, then lower 13L liftarm is just holding on the tip of that yellow axle? Maybe there is really just "mess", and that is why picture is not form that side?

800x559.jpg

https://bricksafe.com/files/Jurss/visskas/42116.lxf

22 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Why there is 6L axle under the seats, as it then should stick out on the other side, and how that lifting axle is connected to liftarm.

Maybe the red axle is the 2L one. There is one on each side.

Could be, in fact.

But it looks shiny, but 2L is not shiny.

Maybe there is some stopper on that axle end, so that liftarm doesn't touch tire?

Well, for TLG to call it "Skid Steer Loader" and then put "regular" steering in the model would be a bit odd.

7 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Maybe the red axle is the 2L one. There is one on each side.

Or 2L + 3L pin with axle. For the seat maybe?

6 hours ago, dhc6twinotter said:

I'm pretty sure it's something like this

Yes, here is correct solution for lower 13L liftarm connection, I made it incorrect.

7 hours ago, dhc6twinotter said:

I'm pretty sure it's something like this:

Ok, that's probably right. Though I find the big tan gear sticking out from the back a bit odd.

Rebuilded. I ddint have 1L worm gear, so put old 2L worm gear mesehed with 24z gear. 

IMG_20201121_160212.jpg

IMG_20201121_160224.jpg

It has just two functions, as been noted before - raising/lowering bucket, and tipping it.

Overall - its nice and very strudy model, with decent gear count (5) for its size.

Still nothing could beat 42102 in terms of mini-set awesomeness for me.

Just now, Coolusername said:

Makes me wonder why they havn't used the 90° angle connector #6 for the roof on the Set?

The cabin opens from above.