nimitstexan

Recommended Hull Widening Technique?

So, I have an idea to build out a couple of frigates at a sort of 1/2 Lego scale (i.e. roughly ~1/75 scale, but still scaled internally so that minfigs can "operate" her, and my kids can play with her), sort of how the System Lego Pirate ships are designed already (other than that they are generally too short for their beam). Think of it as "if Lego built an HMS Indefatigable  or USS Constitution in "System Scale" (like the System, Scale Millennium Falcon  or AT-AT from Star Wars) what would it look like?" idea. To that end I have been reviewing the various hull widening techniques (such as in the Capt Greenhair tutorial, or using inverted slopes such as in the La Grenouille Blue Coat frigate) on this forum and in LDD, but what I cannot tell from just looking at it (and what I am looking for opinions on before I get too far down this process) is which, if any, of the hull widening techniques will still end with a stable/"playable" ship, and would still allow the sides to be designed to open and/or the top deck(s) to be removed (as in the Imperial Flagship) for access/play in the interior?

Why don't you try to build your own brickbuilt hull? Like in 31109? Then you'll have more options for scaling and stability.

I've seen some cool builds on the Facebook groups where folks use double hulls (two hulls next to each other) and then also extend with inverted slopes - it allows for a 32-stud wide area on the ship for plenty of detail and playability. Like all of the other techniques, you'd still have to build in supports to make it sturdy!

I am building a redcoat La Grenouille now and it is pretty sturdy with the inverted slopes added - only adds two studs of width, though.

4 hours ago, evancelt said:

I've seen some cool builds on the Facebook groups where folks use double hulls (two hulls next to each other) and then also extend with inverted slopes - it allows for a 32-stud wide area on the ship for plenty of detail and playability. Like all of the other techniques, you'd still have to build in supports to make it sturdy!

I am building a redcoat La Grenouille now and it is pretty sturdy with the inverted slopes added - only adds two studs of width, though.

Can you post some pictures of the things you are referring?

Not finding the specific one I'm looking for, but there are a few giant ones out there at minifig scale. I'll keep looking. I think it was a comment reply to a post about something a few months ago.

Poseidon is one: https://www.facebook.com/BeyondtheBrickTV/posts/massive-lego-uss-poseidon-ship-by-john-morris-162-cannons-600-minifigures-more-t/3142133222507760/

This is another custom hull one: 118443514_10164003421255564_848510592510

This is one built directly on a 32 stud baseplate: 121038098_3542052935852373_3356076500930

This is one made wider by adding tiles and plates to sides

121017461_3542041872520146_1530817402906

121055574_3542042005853466_8130650517855

18 hours ago, chofus said:

Why don't you try to build your own brickbuilt hull? Like in 31109? Then you'll have more options for scaling and stability.

I have considered that . . . my concern is (a) the cost and (b) how well the technique holds together for playing/movement if scaled up much beyond the Creator set size (and that is an expensive dead end to go down if it turns out not to work).

13 hours ago, evancelt said:

Well, if I got to 32 suds wide, that is getting close to 1/40 scale and would drive a 122-130 long (on the gundeck).

I am consider a ship 20 to 22 studs wide. For that size, I think I am looking at the inverted bricks approach. Since I want to build in the "pop-off" spar deck on the Imperial Frigate, I am not convinced 

Edited by nimitstexan

Babyteeth, the guy who submitted the updated Caribbean Clipper on LEGO IDEAS, has also made even bigger ships with custom made hulls.

Here is he's biggest ship, a 4th rate Ship of the Line, by his description.

https://www.brickinside.com/NeoView.php?Db=ReviewOwnCreation&Mode=view&Number=4399

IopELLw.jpg

7524qL7.jpg

42mEdFQ.jpg

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

On 12/3/2020 at 10:06 PM, CaptainPolluxofOrion said:

Hi, could show a link to Captain Greenhairs Tutorial. :)

Here you go.

@nimitstexan I used an inverted slope technique on my frigate. Though the hull at its broadest part is only 19 studs wide, I am content with both the shape (breadth-length-ratio) and the stability. Only the playability is missing, but I wasn't aiming for it and there would have been ways to integrate some features.

48770534241_6f565b9059_c.jpg
34766497130_3afd246c8d_c.jpg

Wish you good luck with your project!

Edited by Wellesley