coaster

Brickmania NYC Mohawk L-2A

I've had the pleasure of seeing one of the depicted engine's close relative's (1929-vintage NYC 2933, a L2-d type Mohawk originally built for the Big Four Railroad until scooped up in a merger in 1936) up close, at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, Missouri.

20448516222_ea86e4df30_z.jpg

Here is an older picture from when they were still cosmetically resorting it in 2015. (I had permission to be in this off limits area, BTW!) It is now out of restoration and, sadly, still out in the sun five years later in 2020. (Though she's holding up pretty well to be honest!) The only other Mohawk engine left is 3001, and it's a in Elkhart, Indiana - but that's a L-3a not Glenn's Lego prototype of a L-2a... hey, @Glenn Holland, what made you chose that particular sub-type over the others that are really remaining? It's a really great model by the way.... just was wondering what made you chose it.

Edited by Murdoch17

5 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

hey, @Glenn Holland, what made you chose that particular sub-type over the others that are really remaining? It's a really great model by the way.... just was wondering what made you chose it.

I chose the L-2a over the surviving models for a few reasons. The primary reason is that it was the most well liked class of L-2 according to crews, and remembered fondly. Also these were produced earlier in the 1920's and better represent NYC fast freight power of the time, namely with the Elesco feedwater heater on the top front of the smokebox. I think this feature is THE classic look of NYC freight. Lastly, the L-2a has been on my long list of locomotive projects for many years. I'm very glad it worked out for this project.

GZbweTE.png

source.gif

Uh. Okay. Bless them and their unbridled avarice, I guess.

*Edit* Also, a hudson would have been preferable. I mean, if you're going to do NYC steam, that's the one...

Not to say this isn't a superb model. It is. It absolutely is excellently designed. I just... I dunno.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

Great model, but the price tag is outrageous. If I remember correctly, BMRs Reading was around 800 or so(most likely more, not sure anymore) and the kits you can get at BTD are around 1500 - which is still far cheaper than this one, and to be honest, I don't see anything that justifies the difference. Would love to read something that clarifies why this one is so expensive.

Say what you will about the price, but they're already sold out.  I think the justification for it is: because they can. 

4 hours ago, coaster said:

Say what you will about the price, but they're already sold out.  I think the justification for it is: because they can. 

I'm sure it is. And Maserati doesn't stay in business because nobody is buying their product, either.

But I don't have to smile and wave as they speed past.

On 11/21/2020 at 11:46 AM, Amoreternum said:

Would love to read something that clarifies why this one is so expensive.

I'm pretty curious too about the price. It looks a bit expensive.

But ... anyhow, I think it's one of the greatest models I've seen. Also the the underground looks good. Maybe a bit dark but looks chic.

I think the main reason why it's expensive is probably due to A) the piece count (it's almost at 3,000 pieces) B) The custom minifigures and C) the fact that this isn't for the average consumer. Hell, I don't think any of these large kits offered by anyone is for the average consumer. I'm not gonna sit here and nag at coaster about the price for advertising a product that he didn't produce (don't shoot the messenger). I don't even think we should nag or harp anyone who produces these. Think about the time spent designing, the time spent gathering and sorting the pieces, producing custom pieces, etc. Like I said, this isn't meant for the average consumer like you and I, and I think it's great that they've already sold out.

22 hours ago, legonerd54321 said:

I think the main reason why it's expensive is probably due to A) the piece count (it's almost at 3,000 pieces) B) The custom minifigures and C) the fact that this isn't for the average consumer. Hell, I don't think any of these large kits offered by anyone is for the average consumer. I'm not gonna sit here and nag at coaster about the price for advertising a product that he didn't produce (don't shoot the messenger). I don't even think we should nag or harp anyone who produces these. Think about the time spent designing, the time spent gathering and sorting the pieces, producing custom pieces, etc. Like I said, this isn't meant for the average consumer like you and I, and I think it's great that they've already sold out.

Oh, don't get me wrong - my comment might've sounded a bit more angry than I am, because for a fact, I am not. I do think this model and kit is a fantastic piece of brick, and if someone is willing to pay the price that is asked for, that's just fine and I am happy that this hobby seems to get the traction (pun intended) it deserves, to a point where kits like these are possible to make.

I was just wondering about the price, and did and do not want to come across as being more critical than I am, not only because I am more or less new to the train part of the Lego hobby. Just wondering about the difference between the prices of the kits that are being offered and would like to get a rough guesstimation on how these two and a half thousand dollars come together, since the second most expensive loco I have seen offered as a kit is a thousand less and I can't spot a difference in quality. 

But I have to say, great work on the loco. The longer I look at it, the more I can appreciate it, fantastic job Glenn. I hope this one opens the path for more kits in the future, it's great to see what the high end of these kits can look like, when all you are familiar with is the bottom end with locos from BlueBrixx and alike.

1 hour ago, Amoreternum said:

Oh, don't get me wrong - my comment might've sounded a bit more angry than I am, because for a fact, I am not. I do think this model and kit is a fantastic piece of brick, and if someone is willing to pay the price that is asked for, that's just fine and I am happy that this hobby seems to get the traction (pun intended) it deserves, to a point where kits like these are possible to make.

I was just wondering about the price, and did and do not want to come across as being more critical than I am, not only because I am more or less new to the train part of the Lego hobby. Just wondering about the difference between the prices of the kits that are being offered and would like to get a rough guesstimation on how these two and a half thousand dollars come together, since the second most expensive loco I have seen offered as a kit is a thousand less and I can't spot a difference in quality. 

But I have to say, great work on the loco. The longer I look at it, the more I can appreciate it, fantastic job Glenn. I hope this one opens the path for more kits in the future, it's great to see what the high end of these kits can look like, when all you are familiar with is the bottom end with locos from BlueBrixx and alike.

I think legonerd's comment was directed more at SteamSewnEmpire.  I don't know how they came up with that price, as it did indeed strike me as higher than I had expected, but I can say that no one making custom kits with actual LEGO elements can do it for anywhere close to LEGO's costs.  One, they don't have the economy of scale of producing thousands upon thousands of sets, and two, they don't control the manufacturing of the elements either.  They have to be sourced from 3rd party resellers on Bricklink, and we've all built MOCs and know that can be pretty hit-and-miss.  BlueBrixx, on the other hand, has the advantage that they can get exactly what they need from their Chinese suppliers, not only with a much lower cost but also without having to deal with multiple vendors and re-sorting and counting out the brick.

As was said though, I'm just sharing it here.  I had no involvement in its design or development.

All, thank you for the compliments on the model. I did put a lot of effort into achieving the correct details.

@SteamSewnEmpire, I appreciate your comment on the Hudson being perhaps the more iconic of NYC steam between that and the L-2a, and I agree. In my decision making this time around, "NYC" wasn't as much of a reason for choice in locomotive; instead it was "1920's and 1930's" and "freight", if that makes sense. The L-2a fit those criteria, along with being a personal favorite.

Regarding the price, I do admit the price of the kit version was not what I was expecting, but maybe I can offer some more information to this point. This model does use more parts than the T-1 4-8-4, and includes some extra features in the box, such as the display base (thanks @neonic, I was going for simple but attractive there), lights, custom printed minifigures, knuckle couplers, wheels from Big Ben Bricks and Bricktracks, custom 3D-printed wheels from Brickmania, custom 3D-printed rods and valve gear, and some custom electronics (and the work that goes into fitting those components to work with Power Functions).

I'm not writing this in attempt to change anyone's opinions, but rather offer some reason.

Again, thanks for the compliments on the model.

A Beautiful model.  If you didn't know it was LEGO you wouldn't know it was LEGO.

If this was in the description I missed it - what is the minimum radius curve and switches for this?  I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that R40 is too tight.

9 hours ago, Glenn Holland said:

... and includes some extra features in the box, such as lights, some custom electronics ...

Sounds interesting. Can you tell more about it? Or even better, show it? :classic:

@JWBDolphins- I have placed the engine on an R88 curve and did not see anything to cause concern, but I did not run the engine through the curve. I have used it with R104 and R120 curves and R104 turnouts easily. 

@neonic- I opted for a custom battery mostly due to cost. It’s a pretty simple 7.4V, 2200mah lithium ion battery, but it works well powering the receivers and motors. 

On 11/25/2020 at 12:40 PM, Glenn Holland said:

@JWBDolphins- I have placed the engine on an R88 curve and did not see anything to cause concern, but I did not run the engine through the curve. I have used it with R104 and R120 curves and R104 turnouts easily. 

So is the minimum R88? Or is it R104? Or something else?