Hi there everybody, since some of you asked for more WIP topics in the "Decreasing number of MOCs" topic, I thought I would take you along with my latest project, hopefully from start to finish.

I wanted to build a drift car, and what other car ycould that be than the Nissan Silvia? deciding between S13, S14 and S15 was pretty easy, since pop up headlights are awesome. So I went for the most suitable model, the 180SX Type X.

nissan_180sx_s13_1989.jpg

A quick search on google brought up this Blueprint. Not perfect, but good enough. 

Since this is a car with the classic FR layout I took the 6-speed manual transmission from my Nissan R32 GTR MOC and removed the AWD. I'ts running very smooth.

IMG_20201120_132513.jpg

IMG_20201120_132556.jpg

After the pop-up headlights were completed I started modelling the front bumper. This bumper is really difficult, all the proportions are hard to recreate from bricks. I tried it like this, and while it is pretty accurate these stacked plates dont look very nice. Often it is better to choose the less accurate but better looking solution, so that's what I'll try next.

IMG_20201120_132819.jpg

IMG_20201120_132847.jpg

I would love if someone could suggest a solution for the front lip that wraps all around the bottom of the bumper. It is 1.7 studs high and the angle does not want to match any solution I come up with.

I know this does not look like much, but thats what happens when you look at the early stages of a MOC.

I hope you enjoyed this, I'll try to keep you updated on my progress.

Gray Gear

Edited by Gray Gear

9 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I would love if someone could suggest a solution for the front lip that wraps all around the bottom of the bumper. It is 1.7 studs high and the angle does not want to match any solution I come up with.

Looking good. Perhaps cheese slopes?

Wait...

You--making a 1:8 model of a classic Japanese car?

You will have a very nice collection of them!

I don't suppose your car will actually drift, though, given size, gearbox, and your inclination to build manual models.

Good start!

25 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Wait...

You--making a 1:8 model of a classic Japanese car?

You will have a very nice collection of them!

I don't suppose your car will actually drift, though, given size, gearbox, and your inclination to build manual models.

Good start!

Than you!

Yes, I have 3 90s JDM cars in1:8 cars sitting on one shelf right now. This will be number 4 :grin:

Of course it will not be able to drift by itself, as you said correctly it will be a manual model. But I will introduce drift inspired suspension and styling to the model. And maybe and engine swap? Idk yet.

1 minute ago, Gray Gear said:

Than you!

Yes, I have 3 90s JDM cars in1:8 cars sitting on one shelf right now. This will be number 4 :grin:

Of course it will not be able to drift by itself, as you said correctly it will be a manual model. But I will introduce drift inspired suspension and styling to the model. And maybe and engine swap? Idk yet.

Sounds cool!

That rear suspension setup looks very interesting. I’ve never seen it done that way. I really have to build one of your designs to see that gearbox in person.

First update: I reworked the front bumper, and I am now much happier with how it looks. I also found a Soulution for the front lip.

IMG_20201126_113745.jpg

IMG_20201126_114542.jpg

IMG_20201126_113643.jpg

Dou you think I should do an Engine Swap for this car, or keep the stock SR20DET that came in the Type X? There is more than enough space to drop in about anything you want in the engine bay, but I dont know...

Was this not a 1.8? I thought the sr20 was in the one after this without the pop ups? Or did they do a jdm 2.0

either way, chain driven camshaft as discussed in the engine thread recently would be an excellent thing to replicate.

Man i should invest in some system bricks.. Making bodywork from technic is hard.. 

Keep up the good work and post lots of pictures from the chassi. Interesting stuff!

@MinusAndy The USA got f*cked over with the same terrible engine in all the S13 and S14 models, but in Japan even the older 180sx got the SR20DET with the later models. It is said be be a great engine, but I find it hard to do a good I4 engine in the correct scale. I'll have a look in the engine thread again

@Mechbuilds Yes I always choose the bricks that work best and here I didn't even try to do a technic front bumper. No point in trying :grin:

Edited by Gray Gear

Yeah ya'll are right i should probably keep the SR20DET. I considered swapping for a 2JZ or a RB26. Only problem is that I already did the RB in my R32 GT-R and I dont want to just copy-paste, thats no fun. And If I should finally decide to do the A80 Supra at some point I'll get the same problem with the 2JZ :sceptic:

The SR20DET seems like a very capable engine anyways. Doing a twin-turbo conversion might be an idea but from what I can find on the internet it doesn't seem like a very popular choice.

I'll decide what looks better in the engine bay. I odered some of these sting pices with studs at the ends to maybe do some cables. I love doing Intercooler piping and the engine bay in general, I can absolutely understand why the Space guys love "greebling" (is that spelled correctly? idk)

20 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I odered some of these sting pices with studs at the ends to maybe do some cables.

Also check out what TLG did in the new large scale ECTO1 set (and other large creator cars I guess) that engine bay is pretty accurate.

Keep it up, you've got a nice niche (1:8 jdm) going for yourself here!

Rear suspension is pretty cool, gives a flavour of a multilink setup as this car has IRL.

Didn't fancy getting into McPherson suspension up front?

20 hours ago, amorti said:

Didn't fancy getting into McPherson suspension up front?

No thank you... I just think that the LEGO shocks are not really meant for such an application. In some places I just choose the more strong and reliable solution instead of the more tealistic one. 

On 11/26/2020 at 9:22 PM, Gray Gear said:

Yeah ya'll are right i should probably keep the SR20DET. I considered swapping for a 2JZ or a RB26. Only problem is that I already did the RB in my R32 GT-R and I dont want to just copy-paste, thats no fun. And If I should finally decide to do the A80 Supra at some point I'll get the same problem with the 2JZ :sceptic:

The SR20DET seems like a very capable engine anyways. Doing a twin-turbo conversion might be an idea but from what I can find on the internet it doesn't seem like a very popular choice.

I'll decide what looks better in the engine bay. I odered some of these sting pices with studs at the ends to maybe do some cables. I love doing Intercooler piping and the engine bay in general, I can absolutely understand why the Space guys love "greebling" (is that spelled correctly? idk)

You can't forget A80, one of the JDM pillar bro . You have R32 and NSX NA1/2. A80 is a must. :)

Edited by normality78

The 180x looks nice! :) just about to finished your NSX and my 1:8 supra A80 rolling out i January hopefully, then i only need the r34 to the collection ;)

Yesterday i dropped in the Engine :grin:

IMG_20201217_140033%5B1%5D.jpg

IMG_20201217_140054%5B1%5D.jpg

I thought the engine bay was quite big, but in the end I even had problems fitting in the inline-4 SR20DET :tongue:

On 11/26/2020 at 2:22 PM, Gray Gear said:

I considered swapping for a 2JZ or a RB26.

Not JDM I know, but how about a LS swap? :)