Sign in to follow this  
Electricsteam

[MOC] Atomic Express

First off let me say... I know its a bit of a repost but at long last the WHOLE THING is finished and if you know me I never finish anything!  Anyways....

I'd like to introduce you to the Atomic Express!

An atomic steam turbine power locomotive with classic streamlined stylings with a heavy influence of vintage Popular Science and Popular Mechanics vehicles and machines! 

065Kvss.jpg?1

Instead of your usually low tech boiler this beauty is packing dual atomic high pressure boilers suspended between the water condenser and the cabin!  The train is moved by a single direct drive steam turbine with dual counterweights instead of blind drivers!  

fCamK2d.jpg?1

Continuing with the sleek curves and designs of the locomotive and tender isn't filled with any sort of coal or fuel but a special mix of water and coolant to keep the reactors running!

Have you noticed the bright red components of the locomotive yet? The color is used to show off moving parts or something a little more reactive! A big 'ol warning to watch out! 

TyTGJIM.jpg?1

As we move on the Atomic Express has its own special fleet of sleek passenger coaches!  With two boarding coaches and a blind middle coach!  All with long clear bar windows to see the countryside flying by on your way to adventure on the Atomic Express! 

CaYoZF4.jpg?1

aJAELvf.jpg?1

JBgBrm1.jpg?1

VUiey1n.jpg?1

9BBdR35.jpg?1

8aZ9LeB.jpg?1

Here's a few more photos just for fun! 

FFQf9GB.jpg?1

QZrLm6M.jpg?1

ipzjsrk.jpg?1

mjz283L.jpg?1

saW9NM7.jpg?1

She is a one big and heavy locomotives she is running pretty well now too!  Got a few videos for ya'll of her making a pass or two on the tracks.

It really had been a long time in the making... At least a few years at this point... From idea to LDD models to digital renders to brick form! 

And I gotta say I am really happy how it has all turned out! The engine looks fantastic in my own opinion and the coaches work really well with it even with all the troubles I had designing them.

Let me just tell you that it is a royal PITA to build anything in green.  A ton of parts you think would exist just don't and what little does exist is really expensive!  I was going to build the windows on the coaches with the 2x1x2 panel windows in green but it was just way too much!   I almost swapped out the windows on the cab to black and added a black stripe to cut the cost down.    But I looked at it again to keep the color by using the large 1x2x5 clear bricks.  So much cheaper and I think it keeps the style really well for the steamlined aesthetic.

I even fixed a lot of the running issues with the help of everyone here over the years, from the front truck with a design for a super flat one for my pneumatic train (RIP) to replacing the rear trucks ball joint with more stable peg connection!

Thank you everyone who helped me and for putting up with my dumb questions and rambling! 

Now I hope ya'll enjoyed I hope to make a lot more cool things in the future now that I have my own dedicated space for building! 

Edited by Electricsteam

NIce train! Looks good running around a track! It would look better ( and demostrate some of its speed potential that I am seeing) running around wider radii track.

16 minutes ago, Berger said:

NIce train! Looks good running around a track! It would look better ( and demostrate some of its speed potential that I am seeing) running around wider radii track.

I'm hoping once covid passes I will be able to take it to a convention!  That's gonna be a while though :(

I always like seeing unique stuff like this, but the detail that really stands out to me is that part usage for the coach windows. I just had a 'why didn't I think of that?' moment. Very interesting build. 

Nice one.
Always like those kind of creations. Looks interesting with those pipes and stuff and think the color fits great too.

8 hours ago, Rustie86 said:

I always like seeing unique stuff like this, but the detail that really stands out to me is that part usage for the coach windows. I just had a 'why didn't I think of that?' moment. Very interesting build. 

Cause I'm a cheapskate lol.  At the time using the auto buy on bricklink the windows I wanted to use were something like 30-50 cents a peice.  I didnt want to spent 50 bucks just on windows so took the 1x2x5 clear bricks that I got from a PAB wall and went from there!  BL can have some wack prices still though.  I spent like 8$ on about 30 green corner bricks.  It was going to cost more just to order them from anywhere else.

ReGEEXO.jpeg

Just a small update!    Changed out some of the bogies with Jacob's Bogies to try and fix the drag issues I have... they didn't!  

I'm about ready to rebuild the 4-6-2 as a 0-4-4-0 just to stop the derailing,   got through 2 conventions before I had these constant issues!

Anyways back into hiding I go.

15 minutes ago, Electricsteam said:

SNIP

Just a small update!    Changed out some of the bogies with Jacob's Bogies to try and fix the drag issues I have... they didn't!  

I'm about ready to rebuild the 4-6-2 as a 0-4-4-0 just to stop the derailing,   got through 2 conventions before I had these constant issues!

They look fantastic! Keep up the good work, and hopefully you figure out the issues you're having!

Friction... it's such a drag, man! :tongue:

On 12/17/2023 at 11:26 AM, Electricsteam said:

Saw your shadow did you? Does this mean two more months of winter? Hang in there

On 12/19/2023 at 5:57 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Saw your shadow did you? Does this mean two more months of winter? Hang in there

I'm am doing well!   Since I joined RVALug I get a lot of my train fix there and don't visit the forum as much,   and honestly I don't have a lot of completed mocs to share!   I have been working on a Christmas train thats almost ready to share,  but this forum doesn't need any more of my half baked projects and ideas hahah. 

On 12/24/2023 at 11:27 PM, Electricsteam said:

...this forum doesn't need any more of my half baked projects and ideas hahah. 

On that basis you'd never hear from me again! :laugh: