legotownlinz

LEGO Trains 2021

10 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

I don't think we get an 18+ train collection series soon. For an 18+ set, Lego has to go 7- or 8-wide but the size and weight of such a train causes issues with Lego's train motor, wheels and tracks. They won't release anything that requires third party ball bearings and large-radius curves to work well.

Seldomly have I disagreed with something more than that right there.

7 or 8-wide trains are by no means necessary for an AFOL-targeted train. It’s always about proportions and detailing. Secondly, the size and weight of the train has little to no effect on the way it runs on Lego track. If you design the undercarriage well, you will not have any problems. It’s also not related to the width of the cabin at all. Thirdly, you don’t need ball bearings to make a large train run well. The crocodile is a large, detailed, 7-wide engine and it’s fairly heavy compared to most Lego train engines. And it runs perfectly fine on Lego track.

7 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Since it's absolutely likely that City is getting two new trains in 2022, I sadly highly doubt that we're getting a whole CE train set the same year. The only thing I could see happening (and which I wish and would like very much) would - because of Lego's 90th birthday - be an elevated train with rollercoaster tracks.

That's an interesting theory, @legotownlinz!

I don't agree that a 18+ train has to bei 7-8 studs wide. Look back at the Horizon Express and the Maersk Container Train - these were excellent sets with only six studs wide.

But I completely agree with you which concerns Lego might release a standalone train engine as display model every e. g. two years. Since the Crocodile was an electric engine, I'd expect the next one to be a steam locomotive - maybe already in 2022.

true. for me going completely 7 or 8 wide except for something like small details like railings etc feels like cheating 8 wide feels like easy mode to me and no challenge

3 hours ago, McWaffel said:

Seldomly have I disagreed with something more than that right there.

7 or 8-wide trains are by no means necessary for an AFOL-targeted train. It’s always about proportions and detailing. Secondly, the size and weight of the train has little to no effect on the way it runs on Lego track. If you design the undercarriage well, you will not have any problems. It’s also not related to the width of the cabin at all. Thirdly, you don’t need ball bearings to make a large train run well. The crocodile is a large, detailed, 7-wide engine and it’s fairly heavy compared to most Lego train engines. And it runs perfectly fine on Lego track.

In the model train world you see three types of modellers: Collector, rider and builder. I think it’s the same in the Lego train scene. For the first a model is merely an exclusive object to show on a display. And of course an original Lego model. And where Lego make trains in limited editions, it’s fast an (expensive) collector’s item. To buy or sell for rather much money.

The rider likes to run his stock. Trains, rails, remote control and motor must be simple work, even when Lego provide only a R40 curved track. The most of them build from an instruction and a standard Lego kit. Although some are satisfied with non Lego kits e.g. from Bluebrixx. While Lego makes their trains standard in 6 studs wide, for both, collectors and riders, it’s also their standard. New Lego kits are essential and highly wished. And better not in 7- or 8- studs wide.

For the model builder at the other hand, Lego is merely a building material. They develop their own model, at best in a certain scale e.g. 1:45 or L-gauge. A standard Lego kit isn’t so important for them.

Depending on the chosen scale they build in 6-, 7- and/or 8- studs wide. For them a ready to build Lego kit isn’t so important. They like to build their own MOC’s. Much more important is the possibility to can buy all the needed bricks in wished colors. And when Lego doesn’t provide it, they buy their stuff at small specialized firms.

Retiring the +18 Crocodile locomotive in the end of 2021 after only 1,5 year while it sells well only indicates it will be replaced by a new one for 2022, logically. 

Yeah, like Märklin… Just another decal. And a higher price of 10%

16 minutes ago, dimitri_bricks said:

Retiring the +18 Crocodile locomotive in the end of 2021 after only 1,5 year while it sells well only indicates it will be replaced by a new one for 2022, logically. 

Yeah, like Märklin… Just another decal. And a higher price of 10%

On 10/17/2021 at 12:35 AM, M_slug357 said:

@Murdoch17 haha yeah… I swear I didnt forget, just was looking forward to that Canadian tbh…

The mods should post a running tally board to keep track of these rejected Ideas projects and how many times they’ve been rejected— this is what, the 6th? 7th attempt at the Polar Express…?

It probably fails on licensing availability, rather than the build.  In the Ideas guidance, it used to mention about avoiding licensed products, but i guess, since there have been a few licensed Ideas sets now, that its been removed.

5 hours ago, jburgt said:

While Lego makes their trains standard in 6 studs wide, for both, collectors and riders, it’s also their standard. New Lego kits are essential and highly wished. And better not in 7- or 8- studs wide.

The Crocodile is 7-wide and the Disney train is 8-to-10-wide.

Imho this is a clear indication that the 6-wide era is over except for city sets made for kids.

We are used to a level of detail that cannot be met in 6-wide. And Lego certainly doesn't want to release anything that looks worse than Bluebrixx' 8-wide collection. They also made their Titanic more detailed than Cobi's.

MOCers also prefer 8-wide.

While Lego makes their trains standard in 6 studs wide, for both, collectors and riders, it’s also their standard. New Lego kits are essential and highly wished. And better not in 7- or 8- studs wide.

Imho this is a clear indication that the 6-wide era is over except for city sets made for kids.

We are used to a level of detail that cannot be met in 6-wide. And Lego certainly doesn't want to release anything that looks worse than Bluebrixx' 8-wide collection. They also made their Titanic more detailed than Cobi's.

9 hours ago, McWaffel said:

Secondly, the size and weight of the train has little to no effect on the way it runs on Lego track. If you design the undercarriage well, you will not have any problems. It’s also not related to the width of the cabin at all. Thirdly, you don’t need ball bearings to make a large train run well. The crocodile is a large, detailed, 7-wide engine and it’s fairly heavy compared to most Lego train engines. And it runs perfectly fine on Lego track.

I'm afraid you are wrong. The new wheels do not perform well if the coach is heavy and of course more width means more length and more details and consequently more weight. Of couse it would be possible to develop better wheels, but Lego decided to develop cheaper wheels. I doubt they change that for a few 18+ sets.

The Crocodile is an engine and not an entire train. It's running performance is ok, but far away from being perfect.

14 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

You are right, the Croc is 7-wide. But my point was actually that for (most) MOCers a new Lego train kit is less important than for collectors and kit-build riders.

The MOCer needs adequate building bricks, whether he/she prefer to build in 6-, 7- or 8-wide. And indeed the most of them prefer 8-wide.

2 hours ago, jburgt said:

You are right, the Croc is 7-wide. But my point was actually that for (most) MOCers a new Lego train kit is less important than for collectors and kit-build riders.

The MOCer needs adequate building bricks, whether he/she prefer to build in 6-, 7- or 8-wide. And indeed the most of them prefer 8-wide.

I'm a bit of both I think. I like to build the official sets and then use them as a jumping off point to modify them. I don't have time to fully scratch build something, but I am working on something, albeit slowly. Lego releasing a new Train set is absolutely important to me. I bought every train post 2009 on offer so far except the Emerald night and Maersk. Toy Story Train, Lone Ranger, City 2010 onwards and the crocodile. I even got two copies of the Horizon Express. They're all subtly modified now. 6, 7 or 8 wide doesn't matter to me. 

That being said I would have thought that we'd have had some information by now on the new sets. But Covid has put an end to toy fairs hasn't it? I'm pretty sure that's where the leaked pictures of the now current cargo train back in 2017 came from. The fact that we saw what was obviously a development mule and not the finished product was fascinating, and I think someone even remodelled the official set to be more like the leaked prototype! Wish I could find that one, I'd love to build it.

I can't wait for news on the next city or creator expert trains. There's always a new design, and it is fun to see what the Lego designers do with the theme. We're never going to get different wheel sizes other than the established ones, nor will we see larger radius track. You will always have to go 3rd party for that, but the fun for me is the challenge of building with Lego as a medium; Doing what you can without cutting or painting parts. I'm no scale modeller, but I have fun. And that is the most important thing. 
Bring on the 2022 Lego train news!

I am rather like Toxic43 as well. I do minor modifications to the official LEGO 6-wide sets. With a smaller space for a layout, they work well and don't cost an arm and a leg. I built a 7-wide UP SD70ACe, and that monster is huge compared to the rest of my fleet. It rarely gets used as I prefer to run the others instead. I received the Disney train for Christmas, but it's become a shelf piece along with the Crocodile. Each official train set that comes out has considerable draw for me because it does fit. While I admit the larger scale locomotives are gorgeous, they're beyond what I want to build and can afford to. Another steam locomotive a-la Emerald Night would be wonderful.

Indeed, as a mostly 6 wide builder I must say that it is still a fine scale for MOCing in as long as you do not mind giving up any real interior. I like the brick savings ($, weight, length, etc). Nothing wrong with 8 (or 10, 12, 16 wide building) I do drool at the detail.

Ultimately it’s also a question of price. I’d rather have a new 6-wide train for 100€ than a 7 wide train for 130€, or an 8-wide for 150€+

Surprise surprise, LEGO has actually given us train fans something new, a R3.5 curve and a 1-wide train scale of approx. 1:384 :grin:

LEGO-Ideas-21330-Home-Alone-DT4XD-Review

Edited by dtomsen

TLG to @McWaffel:

“But, what if we sweeten that 100€ deal with a 10€ helicopter for the new low price of 125€???”

:sarcasm:

Seriously though, my main argument for having 7-8 wide trains is to lessen the amount of goofy** side builds and have the focus/parts’ budget honed in on the train

**(ahyuck)

@dtomsen Is that what an R40 corner would look like scaled down to a minifigs’ point of view?

27 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

@dtomsen Is that what an R40 corner would look like scaled down to a minifigs’ point of view?

Probably, it's from the LEGO® Ideas 21330 Home Alone set after all 🤷‍♂️

But finally I have room for a huge LEGO train layout at home now :grin:

Edited by dtomsen

4 hours ago, dtomsen said:

Probably, it's from the LEGO® Ideas 21330 Home Alone set after all 🤷‍♂️

But finally I have room for a huge LEGO train layout at home now :grin:

I completely understand the all-curved "layout" for the Home Alone set, but, in typical LEGO fashion, there's a wealth of curves and a dearth of straights!!!   :-)   If they would only print a 1x4 tile with that print as a straight track as part of another set, like an advent calendar...

8 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

TLG to @McWaffel:

“But, what if we sweeten that 100€ deal with a 10€ helicopter for the new low price of 125€???”

:sarcasm:

Watch out, you might get a job offer from TLG marketing soon :laugh:

Edited by McWaffel
Typo

17 hours ago, Sunil766 said:

Did they use 9v style rails there? Conspiracy theory incoming... 

The tracks do have the notches in the side, definitely for crimping metal, couldn't be anything but 9v!

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

The tracks do have the notches in the side, definitely for crimping metal, couldn't be anything but 9v!

also the rails are shiny silver and not dark bluish gray!

2 hours ago, XG BC said:

also the rails are shiny silver and not dark bluish gray!

But hey, I have - let's call it a surplus of (9V) curves here - what about straights? I mean, they got it wrong once ...

Have fun!
Thorsten

We, a L-gauge model railroaders can now have our minifigs properly display L-gauge rails in our dioramas.