legotownlinz

LEGO Trains 2021

17 minutes ago, kris kelvin said:

Is this real???

Sadly no, look at the video posted a bit earlier in this thread... but still a cool concept

3 hours ago, kris kelvin said:

Is this real???

No it’s from a video from YouTube made by some random guy wishing for this to happen.

On 9/28/2021 at 6:18 PM, Polarlicht said:

Found this video and i love it.

This has to happen :D

@Polarlicht shows it here.

I wish it was though!

On 9/28/2021 at 3:55 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Excellent! Be careful though, that's how most MOC builders start- improving upon the sets (grin). The Harry Potter train is also rich in potential for upgrades.

Hey, thank you for warm words;) Yes I guess that MOC starts from making just small improvements to builded sets;) And yes, I own HP train set (75955) too and also see a lot of potential to upgrades there :).

Regarding whole topic about expert lego trains. As it was written here that LEGO expert train modellers is quite small community which rely on their own creations which are very close (with regard to all LEGO limitations) to the original in terms of scale and level of detail.

So as also mentioned here already many MOC expert train models rely heavily on custom parts to make it plausible scale model of the original. I think TLG keeps even their expert models more on hobby/toy side than professional models (super detailed MOC designs).

Take as example 10277 Crocodile Locomotive Creator Expert set. While it is far more detailed and closer to original than let it say 60198 set electric locomotive, however in eyes of the devoted MOC train designer it has still a lot things to improve or to rebuild - just to mention very simplified/omitted side rods and jackshaft power drive.

Similar case is legendary 10194 Emerald Night; it is better/more detailed than any train produced until that time, but still has big field for expert MOC designers to improve.

As it is obvious that TLG policy is always to make a profit and all sets are trade-off between price, complexity and parts count. Also there is also limited amount and variety of new parts which TLG can provide, so to recreate accurate model of some steam locos you need for example custom wheels, rods and so as standard TLG wheels (fixed diameter) are suitable to limited steam locomotives.

So IMO TLG is not to introduce some series of expert trains, unfortunately. Maybe they release some expert stream train set or some other single sets of historical locomotives but that would be enough for TLG.

Just my opinion, maybe I am totally wrong ;)

Greetings

Well, you can TLG see as a producer of building sets e.g. trains or as producer of bricks. For me it’s merely the last. When they provide a new model with new formed bricks, the arsenal of building material has increased. That’s in advantage for the MOC builder. You can wait for a train, never comes. Or train yourself to make it. Perhaps the latter gives you more satisfaction.

On 9/30/2021 at 4:01 AM, jburgt said:

My choice is more radical… I print my own track. Even not in the Lego like way. After all I need only the rails and sleepers, and have the freedom to make them on scale.

I also print my own track. I can use CAD, but instead I bought a membership from 4DBrix and download their designs. I pretty much just stick with elements that TLG does not produce, for example I am currently printing myself Wye-Switches. 

I am also working on printing a new car coupler... I don't want to go into more detail until I have a finished version to show off. But is there a place here to talk about 3D printed parts for use in LEGO builds?

@MarloweBricks,

I designed already a straight track. See my other message. And go further with curves and points. Collaborating? Send me a private message.

3 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Getting the topic back on track, I find it interesting that the crocodile locomotive is not currently included on the US retiring soon list. I gather that it has shown up on European lists, no?

Brickset recently added set dates on many sets on their site (from what they say is an official source), it says 01 Jul 2020 - 31 Dec 2021 for 10277: Crocodile Locomotive

Interestingly it says 01 Jul 2018 - 31 Jul 2022 for the City 60197: Passenger Train , very expected to have a New City train in summer 2022 then.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

Getting the topic back on track, I find it interesting that the crocodile locomotive is not currently included on the US retiring soon list. I gather that it has shown up on European lists, no?

It is there in the french lego website.

Personally, I hope that next year the Crocodile gets a recolor in dark red or green!

On the topic of the next wave of train sets, have there been any trains featured in Lego media content (ie TV shows, comics) in the last year or so?

2 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Personally, I hope that next year the Crocodile gets a recolor in dark red or green!

On the topic of the next wave of train sets, have there been any trains featured in Lego media content (ie TV shows, comics) in the last year or so?

Every single "Adults Welcome" ad features the same monorail in the background at some point. Every. Single. One.

I commented on one of the four about it being in all the commercials, and got no official response... I think they are just teasing, (same with blink-and-you-miss-it goat in the "Rebuild the World' ad with the knight trying to cross the river) but you never know what they have cooked up in Billund!

23 hours ago, dimitri_bricks said:

It is there in the french lego website.

Maybe the crocodile will be the reverse of when the Super Chief was discontinued. It disappeared from the US markets long before it did so in the European markets, presumably based on how long it took the existing stock to sell out.

23 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Every single "Adults Welcome" ad features the same monorail in the background at some point. Every. Single. One.

I just watched those on Brick Fanatics, and I must say, they're weird but not in a good way (imho).

But yeah, the monorail you mentioned from those commercials is interesting. I'd say that TLG would only be serious about releasing a monorail set if/when they release a new ad in this series that features "the adult" first riding (maybe even driving?) the monorail from the background, and then getting off to assembling of the Crocodile locomotive later.  

15 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

I just watched those on Brick Fanatics, and I must say, they're weird but not in a good way (imho).

But yeah, the monorail you mentioned from those commercials is interesting. I'd say that TLG would only be serious about releasing a monorail set if/when they release a new ad in this series that features "the adult" first riding (maybe even driving?) the monorail from the background, and then getting off to assembling of the Crocodile locomotive later.  

Holy cow. Those ads are pretty depressing: You are financially successful, nevertheless lonely and full of self-pity? You can escape your misery for a while by buying some LEGOs! And I'd also say that I wouldn't see the monorail as an subtle hint or something. I'd guess that as background for this 60's future setting the alternative would have been an atomic car or something -- which has fallen out of fashion pretty hard; thus leaving you with the monorail or... nothing.

17 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

why would they release one though? if they released one based on the rollercoaster track it would make more sense for lego in my opinion

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Holy cow. Those ads are pretty depressing: You are financially successful, nevertheless lonely and full of self-pity? You can escape your misery for a while by buying some LEGOs! And I'd also say that I wouldn't see the monorail as an subtle hint or something. I'd guess that as background for this 60's future setting the alternative would have been an atomic car or something -- which has fallen out of fashion pretty hard; thus leaving you with the monorail or... nothing.

Well, even though their style is less realistic than most other commercials, I'd say their pretty spot on :D especially during corona.

3 train projects got 10K supporters on the latest ideas review...out of 57.

Still there is hope!

On 10/15/2021 at 1:41 PM, M_slug357 said:

RiP to the Via Rail set on Ideas

:sceptic:

But hey, Snow White and the Office are in…

Don't forget Polar Express and Lisbon Tram projects also got chopped. (the latter was more about the buildings than the tram, but hey, it had a train IN it!)

@Murdoch17 haha yeah… I swear I didnt forget, just was looking forward to that Canadian tbh…

The mods should post a running tally board to keep track of these rejected Ideas projects and how many times they’ve been rejected— this is what, the 6th? 7th attempt at the Polar Express…?

I thought I saw that there was also a set of train book ends in the list.

I'm sure the polar express is licensing issues rather than conceptual ones.

We could always hope that the Canadian was rejected because Lego already has a Creator Expert train in the pipeline that is too similar (e.g., the Ideas Fiat that was rejected).

I see there is creator expert set 10298 releasing next year. It's listed as an "unknown vehicle" for $99. With the crocodile locomotive soon to be discontinued, what are the chances that this could be a new train?

Edited by zachsterosu

1 hour ago, zachsterosu said:

I see there is creator expert set 10298 releasing next year. It's listed as an "unknown vehicle" for $99. With the crocodile locomotive soon to be discontinued, what are the chances that this could be a new train?

There is no information except pricing yet: https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-creator-expert-vehicle-rumoured-2022/

I don't think we get an 18+ train collection series soon. For an 18+ set, Lego has to go 7- or 8-wide but the size and weight of such a train causes issues with Lego's train motor, wheels and tracks. They won't release anything that requires third party ball bearings and large-radius curves to work well. So my guess is we don't get trains, only an engine every few years designed primarily as a display model with optional mediocre motorization. For a serious attempt on a train collection, they would have to develop much more than just a train set. The difference to the 18+ car sets is that nobody expects that the cars really work, but for train sets, there's the expectation that the engine can at least pull a few coaches.

Edited by legotownlinz

Since it's absolutely likely that City is getting two new trains in 2022, I sadly highly doubt that we're getting a whole CE train set the same year. The only thing I could see happening (and which I wish and would like very much) would - because of Lego's 90th birthday - be an elevated train with rollercoaster tracks.

That's an interesting theory, @legotownlinz!

I don't agree that a 18+ train has to bei 7-8 studs wide. Look back at the Horizon Express and the Maersk Container Train - these were excellent sets with only six studs wide.

But I completely agree with you which concerns Lego might release a standalone train engine as display model every e. g. two years. Since the Crocodile was an electric engine, I'd expect the next one to be a steam locomotive - maybe already in 2022.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter